What's new

Worst DVD covers! (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Now this would have been perfect, the original poster art but then they have to ruin it with more text than is on the back of most dvd's.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
The cover for Big Fish has varied ever so slightly from that picture. They did away with the awful yellow on the text, made the colors more dark and added a HUGE gold banner at the top going off on the Academy Awards it was up for. And it's in a clear case. Hmm.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Especially when it comes to the older poster art, there are quite a few that wound up looking the same (particularly in the 30s and 40s). Its a case by case basis I think. And sometimes, no matter how much you try, you can't do better than the original.

Something that I think would make for good DVD covers are simply the poster art from other regions. They usually rearrange similar themes in a different way. Something different to look at, but still something you'd recognize. (Nevermind the potential for region encoding confusion)

I also wish that they took a cue from anime DVDs and include reversable cover art, at least then they have the potential to please discerning fans.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The company involved abandoned this design, and replaced it with something better, but not before they'd sent it out with the press release...

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

You can kind of forgive the first of these Jet Li covers, seeing as it's from an obscure import company. But for Miramax to make a cover that is almost as bad is inexcusable.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
The poster for the just released "Highwaymen" is outstanding. The DVD cover is dreadful.

Sorry, but I don't know how to embed the images. Otherwise I would.

Rob

Eric Chang

Stunt Coordinator
i don't really have a problem with cover art, but the one for Ocean's 11 really pissed me off, since the original poster was just awesome.

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I hear ya. Oceans 11 is the biggest example to me. It was gonna be the first cover I replaced then dvdcoverart got shut down. :angry: I was a little frustrated. Anyone know where you can still get original dvd covers?

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
You'd be hard pressed to find a large website like Dvdcoverart. The threat of lawsuits is too much for small webmasters.
However, i did happen upon CDcovers.com. They actually have a very large archive of DVD covers, some of which are custom- most of which are simply alternate foreign covers. Its not the easiest to navigate, but its the largest one I could find in a quick Googling. Hope that helps.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

and I thought the first editon of this DVD had bad cover art.

STARRING SEAN PENN
fast times at ridgemont high

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I have to call attention to the cover of The Girl Next Door. I've got the unrated cover, I don't know if the PG cover is the same.

If you have the Unrated cover of The Girl Next Door, take a look at Elisha Cuthbert's shoulders. Now imagine the hair isn't flowing over the back and TRY to figure out how in the HECK her arms are attached to her body!

They photoshopped her so much that they actually moved her shoulderblades and collar bone half way up her neck! The hair ALMOST hides this gross error, but once you notice this error of anatomy, you can't look at the image the same way again.

That is the gross error. The more subtle changes include they took her photo and replaced her top clothing, reshaped her breasts completely (they're completely animated), flattened her stomach and narrowed her stomach, and changed her long pants that she actually wore in the photoshoot to shorts. So her legs are animated too. But that's expected, that's usual. It's the bizarre anatomy that is the reason this cover deserves mention as one of the Worst DVD Covers Ever.

Shoulders up in her neck in the photoshopped version:

Before:

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with the hero cover...it makes the same terrible mistake the US theatrical poster makes...

Jet Li is holding the wrong sword. totally kills it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks