What's new

Worst DVD covers! (1 Viewer)

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I've never liked the cover art for Enough,

I think the new Special Edition cover is better, but not by much.

I also hate the Secret Window cover.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I definatly vote for "Murder by Death" as well as "Bill And Ted" (both of them). The original release of "Planet of the Apes" qualifies (let's give away the end of the movie on the cover) as well as Adventures of Buckaroo Banzi. Those have my vote.

To me it seems that MGM (mind, there are others) is one of the mass rapists of original cover art.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Is the purpose of cover art to generate excitement and desire for a film or is it to stroke the ego of the actors? What is it with floating heads?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I have to nominate the US cover of Das Experiment:

First of all, it reminds me all too much of the Real Genius cover. Second of all, that's the wrong number on the guy's shirt! :thumbsdown:

Good thing I have the Canadian cover:

http://www.dvdsoon.com/product-image...80&quality=0.8
Not the greatest, but much better than that Real Genius clone.

Oh, JonBoriss, if you didn't like that Far From Heaven cover, you can always get the Canadian one which is identical in dvd content.
http://www.dvdsoon.com/product-image...80&quality=0.8

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
The reason I don't like the Underworld cover is because of the way she is sitting on the ledge of the building looking down at the streets. It make's her look like spiderman or any other superhero to be honest. I mean correct me if Im wrong but she's a vampire not a superhero. I don't remember seeing her saving peoples lives in the movie.

-Mike

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
But that's got nothing to do with anything! So what if she's a vampire? The image is still dark and in no way does she even look like a superhero. Is the pose copyrighted or something?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I nominate Escape From New York.

They even put Snakes tattoo on his arm. Its on his stomach not his arm!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
While they're not asthetically terrible, they totally misrepresent the films:

The Heaven cover makes it seem like an action flick (Keislowski's rolling over in his grave):

Exotica looks like a skin-flick, and the girl on the cover isn't Mia Kirshner - and isn't even in the film:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Presumably the folks who create the covers figure that prominent stars on the covers will bring in new buyers - ie, you'll see Val Kilmer, think "I like Val Kilmer", and buy the DVD even if you don't know about the movie.

I agree that most of the big head covers are ugly, but there must be SOME rationale behind them...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think this isn't a bad cover per se - it's just deceptive. It does create a false impression of the movie. As I said in my review, "How could a movie about a strip club be so boring?!"

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Snuff had a better lame cover but I think that's what they were trying to do. Why can't they just use the movie poster for the DVD cover? The movie posters are pretty good most of the time.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the In America cover art. It is easily the worst I have ever seen.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
My friend mentioned that there's a scene similar to the one on the UNDERWORLD cover, in the film itself. So it would be fitting to see that on the DVD cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks