What's new

Directors Wonderful Women 1 Draft (Vickie's rules) (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Zen's got another pick coming, but it's officially my turn...

My next pick is not an entertainer, and is also probably the woman in this draft about which the least is known. Unless you are an extra-terrestrial, an extremely gifted non-human, or a genetic freak, we're all related to her.

"Mitochondrial Eve"

The image is from a recent Discovery channel program title " The Real Eve " which profiled the spread of humanity from its origins in Africa throughout Eurasia.

The basic principle is this: Humans have DNA in every cell of their body, including mitochondrial DNA - which is inherited exclusively from the mother and only changes due to mutation. By taking samples from thousands of people around the globe of all races and body types, scientists were able to chart the differences in mtDNA throughout humanity. Working from assumptions on the rate of mutation, an estimate of the appoximate time that all mtDNA present in humans worldwide could have emerged from a single source was made. Any single person who doesn't match the genetic profile would cast doubt on this theory, but so far the only genetic challenges have come from human remains that were thousands of years old (and have garnered just as many questions about the validity of their DNA sample). Someone here is quite likely to tell me that my inaccurate language somewhere in this paragraph has misrepresented the theory - please do so that I am not responsible for the spread of misinformation.

So what, if anything, is so special about "Eve"? She had more than one daughter, and both (or more) of them survived long enough to give birth to daughters. That is all that we can really know about her. Based upon the mutation rates of mtDNA, it is estimated that she lived in Africa 150,000 to 200,000 years ago. All of humanity has spawned from her, but don't call her "Grandma". :D

Brad

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Thankfully in the mid to late 80's when cock-rock (pardon) lined the shelves of the local Tower. There was refuge in artists such as David Sylvian, Cocteau Twins, The Cure, Clan of Xymox and Dead Can Dance. My next pick,
Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance. She is quite a stunning looking woman. A very unique voice, despite early pretension. I love the band and her voice, and I thank the stars often for the 4AD label in the late 80's.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
The last pick was Thursday at 3:44 PM my time by Zen.

Angelo didn't pick.
Steeve didn't pick.
Andy didn't pick.
Chris didn't pick, and his turn just ended.
It's Chuck's turn to pick two, but everybody else that hasn't picked should do so now so that this thread is not forgotten. We've got 30 rounds to get through, so time is a factor here. :)

Brad

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'm about to crawl into bed, so no pics or bios right now. Maybe later.

Dian Fossey

Joni Mitchell

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Angelo, you've got another pick coming.
Chris can pick two at anytime.

Grace Kelly
Ingrid Bergman
There's something terribly wrong here if Steeve is able to have Grace and Ingrid and Vivien on his list. It's time for me to start drafting French women! :D

Brad

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Everything's updated on the front page. I've been really busy this weekend and when I did come here, I'd get to reading posts in other sections. I'm afraid my heart is fading away from Polls, because it used to be the first place I'd come, and now I let e-mails pile up. I need to get back to it, because I REALLY LOVE this Draft! You fellas are killing me with this wonderfulness! Grace? Ingrid? Pure heaven, those photos are stunning! Maria, Joni, Jennifer? Wow! Dian Fossey?? Wow!!! Mitochondrial Eve??? WOW!!!

Lisa Gerrard, what a goddess! I saw her live with Dead Can Dance at an old theater here in Chicago, and, after the very first song, no one clapped, no one coughed, not one sound could be heard. It's a cliche to say "you could hear a pin drop" especially when it's a theater you're talking about, but I swear, I've never ever EVER heard a place so quiet. For at least 5 seconds after the last note faded, you probably could have heard a pin drop. It was as if we'd been in the presence of a powerful angel, and if anyone made a sound, she would POOF! disappear before our eyes. I still shake my head at the magic of that moment. She herself had a pretty puzzled expression on her face, maybe wondering if the audience had all left during the song. Then someone clapped and the spell broke. The place ROARED with AWE, gratitude, amazement. I'll never forget it. I'll never, ever forget it. Seeing Lisa Gerrard and Dead Can Dance live was one of the highlights of my life. I got to see them once more after that and it was special too. They were something (though I preferred her singing over his, except I adore the song "Ulysses").

Pretention? Don't make me come and kick your butt Zen. There was no pretention, they just were what they were! They tried to preserve ways of singing that had all but died out, and has only come back BECAUSE of Dead Can Dance. Thank you from me too, 4AD!

(This may mean something to you Zen. Less than a month later, I got to see the Cocteau Twins live for the first time too. To be in the same room with Lisa Gerrard and Elizabeth Fraser in the same lifetime, let alone the same month, oh my god! Unfortunately, the Cocteau Twins played the worst venue in the midwest, and that concert was tainted because of it.)

If anyone doesn't know of Lisa Gerrard, and is curious about The Voice we speak of, here's a short song:

Dead Can Dance - Song Of Sophia (she sings in many languages, and this is Bulgarian, in the style of Le Mystere des voix Bulgares)

I miss my Shoutcast (crycrycry). I need more web space (crycrycry).

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
billie holiday

V: can we change your 'job description' for maria callas from 'musician' to 'opera singer' or 'singer' or 'vocalist'? Thanks...

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Back to my entertainers list...

My next pick went from being orphaned and abandoned at age 3 to becoming the highest paid woman in the USA. She had more than 80 films on her resume, but I haven't found one yet in which she doesn't still impress me. She was born Ruby Stevens, but you know her as...

Barbara Stanwyck

She was always most memorable as a manipulator of men or a woman in distress, but she had many versatile roles which demonstrated her acting range. Known for being rather easygoing on the set and always on time and prepared, Barbara was a role model for many modern actresses. When the film roles disappeared, she had a successful career in television. She was a beautiful woman, but she never demonstrated vanity when choosing her roles. The performance always came before any image the she might be able to cultivate, and audiences rewarded her with their respect, as well as their admiration. Babs was one hell of a dame!

Brad

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Vickie: thanks so much.

Great quote. For my money, Billie was the greatest female vocalist ever, in any musical genre.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Thank you for those wonderful thoughts/memories Vickie!
The pretension comment was more directed towards the band as a whole and the earlier years. I really think Gerrard and especially Perry came into their own after the first two albums. The Serpent's Egg also was a giant turn around. I have really come to appreciate Brendan Perry more over the years, especially after seeing them live. Gerrard now, compared to say her work on Within the Realm of a Dying Sun. She is giant now, her voice only gets better.
Why is that I cry like a baby in the same spots on the otherwise pretty shallow Gladiator?

Great picks Angelo and Brad!

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
There's something terribly wrong here if Steeve is able to have Grace and Ingrid and Vivien on his list. It's time for me to start drafting French women!
Hey, leave the French women alone! They're mine. Say, how about you give me Audrey Hepburn? ;)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
OK, Zen's second turn doesn't actually end until for another hour, but I have to get to work.

Back to my fictional characters list...

Newsradio was one of my favorite shows of the late '90's, and I still miss watching it every week. One of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was the screwball comedy atmosphere that they consistently used. Every screwball comedy needs two ingredients: a straight man to react to every wacky thing that happens and fast-talking, hustling, charming, smart woman to distract him from his life. That woman was...

Lisa Miller

She was a math prodigy, a tenacious reporter, and damn sexy. The fact that she dated office manager Dave, a nerdy Midwesterner who watched way too much TV and managed his flock with dry wit and befuddlement, well that was very appealing to me. Maura Tierney is a very good actress, something she continues to show on ER on a weekly basis. She created one of my favorite female comedy lead characters on Newsradio, and I wish there were more characters like Lisa Miller on TV.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks