What's new

Directors Wonderful Women 1 Draft (Vickie's rules) (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Another voice: Skye Edwards ,

although I find their band Morcheeba a bit limp at times. Her voice never disappoints me. Just lovely, silky and sexy. One beautiful woman.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been around much in the last couple of days. Sorry.

Elizabeth Montgomery - I grew up watching Bewitched and TV Movies that she was in, and I wanted to be her. I thought she was one of the most beautiful women on the planet, but it's a quirky beauty, not a classic beauty. When I started learning about her life, the more I liked her. She just seemed like a nice person who would be a good friend.

Trinity - I saw The Matrix nearly 30 times in the theater. At least 15 of those times I hated Trinity. She was too cold, too emotionless, too wooden. Then one day it hit me that this is a women who's worked with Morpheus for who-know-how many years looking for "The One" (a one who might not even exist) and has had to learn to turn off her emotions. The few times when the cold veneer cracks are very major indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing her character in the next two movies. I might have been right in the first place. We'll see.

(Btw, I just came back from Winged Migration. It did indeed deserve its Academy Award nomination. If you're into birds (or not, but love beautifully photographed scenery) this is a must-see. I didn't much care for the music, but that's a small quibble. I'll never eat duck or goose again. (Ok, I've never eaten duck or goose, but I won't in the future either).

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Next up: Angelo.M

On deck:
Steeve Bergeron
Andy Olivera
Chris_Richard (who can pick 2 at any time)

Zen gets one more pick.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I saw The Matrix nearly 30 times in the theater.
:emoji_thumbsup:

She wasn't going to be my next pick, but I'm inspired...

the oracle
Awesome character. The role reimagined the concept of the Delphic Oracle, standing it on its head. I love the bit about the cookies, and that line she gives Neo (and the audience): Not what you expected, eh?.

I'm sorry kid. You've got the gift. But it looks to me like your waiting for something... Maybe your next life. Who knows?

Gloria Foster, you are missed.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The front page is updated. Steeve, those are beautiful photos of Barbara Stanwyck! I'd bet a good Hollywood makeup artist could take Demi Moore and exactly recreate that photo. (Don't barf if you don't like Demi Moore, I think she's beautiful, and I love her voice.)

I must admit I've never seen Newsradio. I saw part of one episode and liked what I saw, but never got around to going back. I'm like that though. I meant to watch so many good shows and never did (or don't). Movies take up all my time.

Also, I looked up Jeri Ryan's page and saw that I haven't seen anything she's been in. I used to watch Voyager before she came on but we moved, and I got behind, and never went back. Nothing against the show, I liked it. I see that she's going to be in Down With Love so I'll see her in that.

I need to pick up some Morcheeba. I've only heard a couple of songs (I liked them). Yes, she is very beautiful!

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
I’m back. (I had to go out of town on a family emergency.)

Jennifer Jason Leigh. She is about the only current actor that will get me in the theater just because they are part of the film. Not just because she is an amazing actress but she chooses parts and is in films I enjoy.

Myrna Loy. I just discovered the Thin Man series a couple of years ago. I love the films and her portrail of Nora Charles, the way she delivers the dialog, ahd her gestures toward William Powell are much of the fun.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
No way to describe (and even the best of critics fall short)the talent of my next pick. Sexy, sultry?, full of suprise. One of the most exciting live performers I have ever seen.

P J Harvey

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Wow Steeve. Where did you ever find that picture of Amelie? :D :D

Actually, I was going to draft her very soon if you didn't do it. I'm almost did two picks ago, but I didn't want to deal with the devastation and sadness it would have caused.

Brad

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's my turn... Chris disappear?

I'm just going to pick two women from CDs currently sitting on my desk. There are "better" choices out there, to be sure, but I'm feeling lazy. Anyway, I like what both these people do.

Maki Nomiya

Lead singer for Pizzicato Five. As far as I know, all she does is sing, but she's good at it and she's in an outstanding group.

Wendy Smith

Backup singer for Prefab Sprout. As far as I know, all she does is sing, but she's good at it and she's in an outstanding group.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Ahem...

Chris has two picks, anytime...
Andy has one pick, anytime...
Steeve has one pick, anytime...
It's Angelo's turn right now, until 2:57 PM my time...

Since I'm not optimistic any of these guys are going to draft any time soon (and since I'm here right now with nothing better to do), I'll draft my next pick now.

She was watching Apollo 13 and was intrigued by the scene where the engineers try to concoct a new CO2 scrubber using just what was on board. Brilliantly, she devised a television show where two teams compete to build a working (fill in the blank) out of junk in about ten hours. Dubbed Scrapheap Challenge in the U.K. and Junkyard Wars in the U.S.A., it is the best damn show on television. I select the show's original host, producer, and creator...

Cathy Rogers

She's also producing a children's version of the show called Operation Junkyard and producing and hosting an entirely different show called Full Metal Challenge, which despite a few annoyances is a pretty cool show in its own right.

For the music lovers in the thread, she has been in a band called Marine Research for several years - which I've never heard and don't know the current performing status of.

Junkyard Wars is like highly addictive crack to me, so I hope that Cathy has a long career catering to geeks like myself.

Brad

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
For the music lovers in the thread, she has been in a band called Marine Research for several years - which I've never heard and don't know the current performing status of.
I've only heard a couple of songs by M.R., but they are the band that grew out of Heavenly after Mathew Fletcher killed himself. Cathy was also in Heavenly, and is on one of my absolute favorite albums, Le Jardin de Heavenly.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I love Junkyard Wars! What a great pick, I had no idea it was conceived and produced by a woman. What is Full Metal Challenge? Is it on the same channel (is it The Learning Channel)? I haven't heard, or heard of, Marine Research. I have heard of, but not heard, Heavenly.

Things are slow, but I don't think any of us are in a hurry.

Next:
Zen
Me x 2, but Zen can make both his choices
Brad

Anytime:
Steeve
Angelo
Chris x 2 (not 4)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
What is Full Metal Challenge?
U.S. Website for Full Metal Challenge

Basically, it's teams building "automobiles" (not in 10 hours and not out of junk) that compete in various events (bowling with giant pins, obstacle course, sumo, etc.).

Here's the parts that annoy me:
a) Co-host Henry Rollins (I get it. You're intense. Now shut up.)
b) They spend too much time hyping up the events - more splatter, less chatter please.
c) They claim to be incinerating the losing vehicle, but it looks so fake that I find it difficult to believe that those vehicles are being destroyed. Don't lie to us!

The first season ran its course already. I don't know when they'll be back for a second season.

Brad

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
sticking with a few more musicians here
first is Japanese artist
Takako Minekawa (if you like Aphex Twin, you'd love this fine woman's music)

next Kelli ALi (ex-Sneaker Pimp). I just love this woman's voice. Her latest album TigerMouth has been released in UK. Still waiting for it to get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks