What's new

Directors Wonderful Women 1 Draft (Vickie's rules) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Here are my catch ups...

President of the ACLU:
Nadine Strossen (activist)

Short bio

The second woman in space, and the first woman to spacewalk:
Svetlana Savitskaya (astronaut)

Short bio

Julianne Moore

This next one is weird, because it's several different women and girls. I just couldn't "break them up" into separate chunks. Sue me. ;)

The females of Rabbit-Proof Fence

In 1931 Australia, in accordance with a policy to try and "breed the black out" of half-caste Aboriginal children, two Aboriginal sisters, Molly and Daisy, and their cousin, Gracie, were abducted from their homes by the government to be trained as domestic help for a white family. Molly decided to escape from their captors, and the 3 girls walked 1500 miles home across the Outback, following a rabbit-proof fence.

The three girls, as played in the movie Rabbit-Proof Fence (directed by Phillip Noyce), by Everlyn Sampi (Molly), Tianna Sansbury (Daisy) and Laura Monaghan (Gracie). In the 2nd photo, Gracie is in the middle.

Doris Pilkington Garimara, daughter of Molly, wrote a book about her mother and aunt's ordeal called Following the Rabbit-Proof Fence. Pilkington was herself a second-generation "stolen child" and was taken away from Molly when she was 4 and sent to a resettlement camp. She wasn't reunited with her mother until she was 24. (Molly has another daughter who was taken away at the age of 2, and has been brainwashed so badly-she was told that she was an orphan-that she refuses to see Molly or have anything to do with Doris).

Christine Olsen wrote the screenplay for the movie, based on Doris Pilkington Garimara's book, then produced the movie, pursuing Phillip Noyce and convincing him to read the screenplay.

Gracie died in 1983, but Molly and Daisy still live in Jigalong. Here are the most recent photos I could find, from the "World premiere" of the movie. It was first played for Molly and Daisy and the other residents of Jigalong.

http://newsbytes.curtin.edu.au/local...ot&Phillip.jpg

Various articles about this story, including some written by Doris Pilkington Garimara.

Here's an interesting article about the Fence written by Christine Olsen's daughter, Danielle Olsen:

http://www.bffthing.demon.co.uk/html/t14/rabbits.htm

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
My last pick was May 19th 7PM my time. All the picks made since then have been make-up picks for missed draft windows.

Therefore:
May 20th 7AM Angelo's turn ends.
May 20th 7PM Steeve's turn ends.
May 21st 7AM Andy's turn ends.
May 21st 7PM Chris' turn ends.
May 22nd 7PM Chuck's turns end.
May 23rd 7AM Chris' turn ends.
May 23rd 7PM Andy's turn ends.
May 24th 7AM Steeve's turn ends.
May 24th 7PM Angelo's turn ends. This occurs four hours from now. Guess what? I don't care. I'm here now so I'm taking my turn. And since nobody is paying any attention anyway, I'll make this pick a potentially controversial one...

Ayn Rand

I can't go into many details of her Objectivist philosophy without treading dangerously on the forbidden topics of the forum, but I can clearly say that she is one of the most highly influential women of her generation. Her philosophical defenses of reason, individualism and rational egoism profoundly influenced millions of individuals in the 20th century and continue to be relevant and necessary to this day. I'm not the biggest fan of her writing style, but her works did achieve her desired goal - to present her philosophy to a mainstream audience.

Brad

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The timing was wrong for this Draft. If I had done it right after the Draft idea got started, people would have been more enthusiastic about it, I would have had more time to devote to it, and it would have had more of an impact.

If people want to continue giving picks whenever they feel like it, I for one would be happy to see them. All but one has made me smile and silently cheer. Even the one that made me barf was an interesting pick that never would have gotten into the other female Drafts, so more power to ya (Brad :)).

I think the list as it stands now is impressive and says really good things about the people involved in this Draft. We can be proud.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
...barf...
I should have followed my better instincts and not even named her, but I cannot comprehend this particular reaction (even with smilies). Oh well, differences of opinion are what make this world such an interesting place.

Here's the remainder of my existing potential picks list, in no particular order:

Abigail Adams
Clara Barton
Elizabeth Seaman (aka "Nellie Bly")
Amelia Earhart
Hypatia
Rose Wilder Lane
Mary Leakey
Margaret Mead
Virginia Postrel
Ella Fitzgerald
Mary Tyler-Moore
Bonnie Hunt
Lisa Fremont
(portrayed by Grace Kelly in Rear Window)
Milly Michaelson (portrayed by Lucy Deakins in The Boy Who Could Fly)
Penny Henderson (portrayed by Mary Stuart Masterson in Radioland Murders)

That's all I had written down so far. I probably would have selected more fictional characters to get to 30.

Brad

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

But what fun would that be? :D

Make your positions known and to hell with what everyone else thinks! Good choice, though. :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW, Vickie, I could make plenty of disparaging comments about Nadine Strossen and her org...but I won't. :p)

Moving on, for 14 & 15 I'll take...

Jodie Foster

&

Rachel Roberts

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
most of whom Rand would have spit on
I can't comprehend this comment, but for the sake of civility let's end the discussion on this subject now. Everyone please just let it be. Thanks.

As for Milly, I really like the character, but there's a much stronger bond for me because she is very similar in appearance and mannerisms to a girl I once knew (and, well, you know, first love thing and all :b )

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks