What's new

Woh Nellie--Johnny Cash covers Trent Reznor (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
I was watching TV with my wife and flipping through the cable channels when I saw a flash of a very haggard looking Johnny Cash, so I paused to see what was going on, and lo and behold I found myself watching a Johnny Cash video on one of the country music video channels.

Now, I never linger on one of those country music video channels, even in a drunken stupor, but when I saw Johnny Cash, and the song he was singing sounded so familiar, I had to check it out.

After about 10 seconds I realized he was singing Hurt from Nine Inch Nails, and it kinda freaked me out. Here's a country music icon singing a song from a nihilistic, thrash, goth, (insert other appropraite adjective) band and for some wierd reason it worked perfectly.

My World View has changed. Now I think just about anything is possible. :)

DJ

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
This isn't exactly anything new (Cash covering anachronistic songs, that is). This is from the fourth American album he's done. He's covered songs from Danzig, Depeche Mode, Beck, and Soundgarden, to name just a few. Pretty good stuff.

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
That video is one of the most powerful videos ever made. But here is a prime example on how screwed up our radio system is. Here in Chicago, we have one country station, owned by Infinity Broadcasting Systems. They have NEVER played that song, or even mentioned it. However, there is a slightly more independent alternative rock station, Q101, where the song has made their top 9 at 9 countdown. Go figure.

Even more weird - you can watch the video at MTV.com of all places.

David Judah

Screenwriter
He's covered songs from Danzig, Depeche Mode, Beck, and Soundgarden, to name just a few. Pretty good stuff.
Well, alright, Johnny! I didn't realize his musical tastes were so progressive.

Incidently, I stayed on the country music channel for a bit and saw Dolly Parton covering a Collective Soul tune.

I guess they're taking Donny & Marie's admonition: I'm a little bit country--I'm a little bit rock & roll. :)

DJ

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Here's a country music icon singing a song from a nihilistic, thrash, goth, (insert other appropraite adjective) band and for some wierd reason it worked perfectly.
It works because Cash lived that nihilistic life & is still alive to tell the tale.

A very powerful rendition of a very powerful song, with an amazing video. If it's the last 'single' Cash releases, it'll be a very fitting end to his career.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I have 3 of the 4 American CD's (unchained is b/o) and they are great. I find they are in constant rotation in my car.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I caught the video on MTV2, and it and the song were both really good. I dug it anyway!

What Danzig song did he cover? I used to listen the them alot. I know he couldn't possibly have covered Mother though!:D

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Ok, now that does sound familiar. Most of Danzigs songs wouldn't really fit Mr. Cash anyway.

I mean really, can you see Johnny singing "How the Gods Kill," "Possession," or "Bringer of Death?":D

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I haven't heard any of his covers except for "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode, and I thought it was horrible. I'm not even going to listen to any more of his covers. Ugghh!

But hey, to each his own.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Just saw the video for Cash's cover of Hurt and boy is it amazing. While I totally disliked his Personal Jesus cover, I loved this one. The actual video could have played a large part in that too. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link John. $14.99 is a very nice price for this disc on SACD indeed. It is supposed to be stereo and multichannel.

J

muskie

Agent
Johnny Cash has always done covers, he didn't write "Boy Named Sue" or "Sunday Morning coming Down".

The American Recordings have a lot of covers, but this is not a new trend. Johnny Cash was always into songwriters like Dylan, Steve Earle, he always cover's Willie Nelsen's songs too. There is rumored to be a Neil Young cover from the first American Recordings session, supposedly "Powderfinger".

As for American Recordings the first one is the most powerful as it was the triumphant return, winning a grammy with a very famous post grammy ad thanking Country Music Radio for all their support. It had the least covers. The Heartbreakers are his back up band, though there are other guest artists too. It has a cover of a Loudon Wainwright the Third song for instance.

The second one had "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden. But my favorite cover is "Rowboat" by Beck on the second album.

"Dogfood on the floor, and I been like this before,
she is all and everything else is small."

The third one I thought would be the last, the guys been in several comas over the last few years. It had even more covers. I like the Nick Cave one the best.

The new album has only one orginal song, and I thought that was going to be the first single. He was on Larry King a while back and I got a bit of him on some Kris Kristopherson biography/retrospective. "Hurt" is nice, I like "Personal Jesus" too, once Johnny Cash does a song, it's a Johnny Cash song.

The U2 cover is great too, much better then U2's version, Bono is a huge Johnny Cash fan.

Muskie

PS I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV so I have no idea what is "popular".

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Wow! I saw this video yesterday and it left me speechless. Although just a music video, I would have to say that this is hands down the most powerful and haunting piece of film-making I have seen in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks