What's new

wizard of oz dvd? (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
which version is better, the mgm or the warner. How in the world does that movie look so good every single time I see it for an old film. Do they constantly restore it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The MGM looks marginally better (IMHO, of course) and includes the original mono sound. The Warner includes a 5.1 stereo remix without the original sound. The Warner also contains a boatload of extras not present on the MGM.

If I could only own one Oz, I would probably go with the Warner despite my slight preference for the MGM presentation. As it is, I now own the Ultimate Oz laserdisc box set (which has the mono sound and a very informative commentary) and the Warner DVD.

Regards,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The MGM disc is the same transfer as the THX version from VHS and LD, I think.

It lacks the full digital restoration, the excellent 5.1 track, and the extras.

The WB edition is important mainly because it restores the sepiatone on the inside of Dorothy's house in the "door to Munchkinland" scene. The MGM version lacks this "stencil-toning" which was on the original release prints of Oz.

The WB edition is virtually the Criterion LD sans the Ron Haver commentary.

Besides some light grain and a few frames out of registration (usually only at a splice and hardly noticable), the WB edition is spotless.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
If you want to be a real nut, (just like me!), then you should get;

the Warner (5.1 and extras) & MGM (original mono and booklet) DVD,

the Criterion laser disc (commentary by film historian Ron Haver)

and Ultimate Box Set laser disc (commentary by Ron Fricke on the left analog channel,

Outtakes and rehearsals of musical numbers on the right analog channel)

and the 2 CD complete score & booklet with outtakes from Rino.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Since I'm only a minor fan of this film, I'll be waiting until the (inevitable) next edition with the proper mono soundtrack and all (or most) of the extras.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Wizard of Oz is one of Warner's top sellers and hasn't even had a price reduction from $24.99. There is nothing inevitable about a DVD re-release, at least one which would improve upon Warner's release.

And the Warner does have the original sound track. Just disconnect all the speakers except the center and bing, you got Mono sound.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I got my disc of WoO for $19.99

The only way I can see an improvement is if WB suddenly finds all that lost footage in great condition and restores the film to its roadshow cut. (Yeah, right!) A Roger Ebert commentary would be neat, too.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
And the Warner does have the original sound track. Just disconnect all the speakers except the center and bing, you got Mono sound.
Thanks for the laugh. I'll pass though.

The next time Warner releases a matted film in open-matte instead of the proper widescreen presentation, try telling the HTF population that all they need is two sheets of black construction paper.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On the Warner Box for this movie it indicates that the mono track is available along with the re-mixed 5.1 track. Is this a typo? I don't have this movie, though I have contemplated picking it up from time to time.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, apparently the mono track IS available through the centre speaker - everything is right there and at the correct levels.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Are people forgetting to use smileys? The center channel of the dvd is not the original mono track. A mono mixdown of the 5.1 channels would not be the original mono track. Only the original mono track would be the original mono track.

As Edwin suspected, the WB DVD has a misprint saying that the original mono track is included when it is not.

Also, the Warner DVD looks nothing like the Criterion laserdisc and has many more supplements. The MGM DVD looks a lot like the last two MGM laserdiscs, including the Ultimate Oz Box set. The Warner version looks different than all of those, but also contains most of the supplements from the Ultimate Oz laserdisc except for the commentary, some of the deleted music cues, and the script.

From the perspective of video, the MGM edition looks no less "fully restored" than the Warner version, although the Warner version was likely made from a different film source and was at a minimum timed slightly differently. Overall, I like the look of the MGM version better, but its a close call and Patrick was right about the Warner version matching the sepia tone better on the shot immediately prior to Dorothy opening the door to Munchkinland/Oz.

Regards,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Why do two different studios release the same film?
This is on my immediate "to buy" list and this thread came at the perfect time. Sounds like I'll go with the WB version only for more "stuff." :)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Why do two different studios release the same film?
Good luck finding the MGM release at any Store. It is now OOP since the rights turned over to Warner. Aside from Ebay the Warner will be your only choice, and it is a damn good presentation.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks