What's new

Windows installation & updates question.. (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I have had several instances where I needed to reinstall Windows on my machine and every time I do, I have to go through the Windows update process.

My question is, is there a way to create my own Windows installation disk with all the updates included?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
You could do a fresh install with all the updates and any other programs to get a base install and then use Norton Ghost to image your hard drive and copy it to a CD.
Then, instead of having to go through the entire Windows install process all over again, you'd be able to just copy that image back onto your hard drive. A lot faster and more efficient if you do a lot of re-installing of Windows.
Norton Ghost
JL

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Jeff's idea is a good one and is something I do myself. I prefer Drive Image to Ghost (which has one very big NTFS limitation and a stupid 'security' feature) but the principle is the same.
When installing the various versions of Windows I run, I take an image at a few different stages. For example:
Basic Windows installation.
Basic installation + latest service pack (W2K)
Above + drivers
Above + basic apps
Full apps install
That said, Microsoft release so many online updates that you're never going to be fully up to date. You could instead download and save the updates and just apply. The download site for W2K is:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarinyanaka
Recent bookmarks