What's new

Should I upgrade to Windows 11? (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Kind of HTPC related. I am planning on connecting my PC to my LG OLED when I am ready to color grade a video project. The video card in my PC does support HDR10, my current monitor does not (the reason I want to connect to my OLED). The PC is running Windows 10, which supports HDR, kind of, with the option of it either being on all the time or off, thus throwing off colors on SDR content.

My question is - does Windows 11 auto-detect for HDR? I know Microsoft had planned on adding that feature to Win10, but then backtracked and included it as part of Win11 instead, but there is nothing concrete regarding it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm running Win 11 Pro 22H2. The display area in settings has an HDR subarea, which directs you here for more information:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-f5fbf5cb-149d-4a0d-8be1-9ed78c68d3b4

Unfortunately I'm using an older Sharp 32" 1080P TV for a monitor which doesn't support HDR so I can't tell you if the switching is automatic or not.
Thanks, but that thread just has my head spinning even more. It is amazing how Microsoft can't seem to figure this out.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I did find this article, but Microsoft's definition of "Auto HDR" is very much the opposite of what it should mean. If I am reading all this correctly, if Auto HDR is enabled, it upscales everything to HDR. In my mind, Auto HDR should mean that if an HDR flag is detected, then HDR is turned on. But apparently that is not the case.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I got my first taste of Windows 11 when my dad, against my advice, bought a laptop a few weeks ago that runs Windows 11.

This is, by far, the most user hostile version of Windows that I’ve ever dealt with.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And... Windows 11 still cannot auto-detect HDR. HDR must be turned on and off manually from the display settings. This is just plain stupid. Microsoft's "Auto HDR" is a joke - it upscales everything to HDR10.

wusene

Auditioning
Real Name
Wendre
Upgrading to Windows 11 might be a game-changer for your video project. From what I've heard, Windows 11 has improved HDR support, and it should auto-detect HDR if your system and video card support it. I'm fairly new to this forum too, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read some positive feedback from others who made the switch. Plus, a fresh OS can be a breath of fresh air. But in addition to upgrading, you need to pick the right keys. Check the site reddit, personally for me I found the keys there. Before you take the plunge, you might want to make sure your PC meets the Windows 11 system requirements to avoid any hiccups.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Upgrading to Windows 11 might be a game-changer for your video project. From what I've heard, Windows 11 has improved HDR support, and it should auto-detect HDR if your system and video card support it. I'm fairly new to this forum too, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read some positive feedback from others who made the switch. Plus, a fresh OS can be a breath of fresh air. But in addition to upgrading, you need to pick the right keys. Check the site reddit, personally for me I found the keys there. Before you take the plunge, you might want to make sure your PC meets the Windows 11 system requirements to avoid any hiccups.
Windows 11 does not auto detect HDR.

MusicLover95

Auditioning
Real Name
George
That’s too bad, Windows 11 doesn’t auto-detect HDR. Do you like the other features of Windows 11 @Todd Erwin? I upgraded to Windows 11 too, but I regret it now. I learned that you can easily go back to Windows 10 within a month of upgrading to 11, but I didn’t do it in time. I know there are ways to downgrade, but it won’t be easy, so now I’m stuck with it. 😭

minnieevans

Auditioning
Real Name
minnie evans
Upgrading to Windows 11 might indeed be beneficial for your HTPC setup. Windows 11 does have improved HDR support, and it's designed to auto-detect HDR-capable displays. This feature can make a significant difference when you're color grading your LG OLED, ensuring accurate colors without messing up SDR content. But before making the move, I'd suggest checking the specific compatibility of your video card and any software you use for color grading with Windows 11. If you're considering Windows 11, you can explore https://digitalchillmart.com/product/windows-11-pro-32-64-bit/ for some recommendations.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Upgrading to Windows 11 might indeed be beneficial for your HTPC setup. Windows 11 does have improved HDR support, and it's designed to auto-detect HDR-capable displays. This feature can make a significant difference when you're color grading your LG OLED, ensuring accurate colors without messing up SDR content. But before making the move, I'd suggest checking the specific compatibility of your video card and any software you use for color grading with Windows 11. If you're considering Windows 11, you can explore https://digitalchillmart.com/product/windows-11-pro-32-64-bit/ for some recommendations.
Windows 11 does not auto-detect HDR-capable displays. I have to manually turn it on anytime I connect my PC to my LG C1 OLED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks