What's new

Win 98 Address book, can I copy it? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, as many of you all probably know from my previous posts I'm going to be getting a new computer soon. Right now I'm making the back-ups I need from my current computer running Win98 to use with my new one running XP when it arrives. Part of these back-ups is my address book from Win98/Outlook Express which houses all my email addresses, I was thinking I could put it on to a 3.5 floppy disk and than copy it over to Outlook Express on my new PC once I get it. However I've been tinkering with it all day and can't seem to figure out how to do it? is this even possible? if so how do I do it? thanks.;)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Is it on Windows Address Book? Well, go itno file, and see if you can find like the 'export' function, then export it as a WAB file, or a textfile or osmething. WAB would be the best.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Is it on Windows Address Book? Well, go itno file, and see if you can find like the 'export' function, then export it as a WAB file, or a textfile or osmething. WAB would be the best.
I tried this but it didn't work because it didn't take all my addresses with it, it just left me with a blank address book. Any other ideas?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I once succeeded in getting my e-mail addresses onto a diskette, but can't remember how.

It always amazes me how complex and full of dead-ends Windoze seems to be. If I want to save a flipping e-mail to diskette, for example, the only way I know is to cut and paste its text into a word processing file.

I really wonder if XP is any better...

Anyway, hope someone comes up with the answer to your question

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Here is a link to a MS Tech doc MS Tech Note 182833 .

Below is a summary. Please look at the article for the complete procedure.

Start Outlook Express on the computer that has the WAB you want to copy, point to Export on the File menu, and then click Address Book.
Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
Type a descriptive name in the Save Exported File As box, click Browse, click a floppy drive in the Save In box, and then click Save.
Click Next, click the appropriate check boxes to select the fields you want to export in the "Select the fields you wish to export" box, and then click Finish.
Quit Outlook Express, and then insert the floppy disk in the computer you want to copy the WAB to and do the reverse.

The common mistake is that people try to export the file as a PAB or address book file. This only works if you are using MS Exchange or the Full Outlook client (not Express). That export function looks for the PAB created by these programs. If it does not exist then you just get a blank file.

Hope this helps!

Laters,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks