1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Will we ever see LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR on blu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Larry-Bender, Dec 2, 2012.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That's because the stores overexpanded themselves and only offered a limited selection of titles. Best Buy doesn't offer a single solitary Criterion title. Luckily, Barnes and Noble does. What I'm suggesting is that the "death" of physical media is not exactly a natural one and that the demand is still there.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Not as much as you think. Times are a changing and if you haven't noticed then I don't know what else to say to you. Even the manufacturers of disc players have recognized the change in the market place by offering fewer models.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Best Buy may not have had Criterion DVDs or Blu-rays last time I checked, but they had vinyl. Vinyl. And this was a store that never even bothered with laserdisc. Don't count it out yet. Player manufacturers are likely moving their physical media resources to 4K, so players that have Blu-ray and DVD are what we will likely see less and less of in the years to come. Perhaps if Hollywood offered a more varied diet, then sales would be better.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Like I said, I don't know what else to tell you. You keep thinking that way. I'm out!

5. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I was in my 20’s in 1977 and managing a 6-plex theatre and we played LFMG for 10 weeks with sellouts the first three weeks or so. I always placed myself at the Theatre door to say goodbye to the audience as they left. I can describe the reaction of the audience as they left as crying, staring at the ground, holding on to their dates, but not saying a word. Which I’m positive was the reaction to the ending.

The film was absolutely a snapshot of the 70’s, and from what I remember it was a best selling book.

I haven’t seen the film since it’s original release in theatres, but I can still remember scenes that are burned in my memory along with the beautiful Tuesday Weld. I do wish Paramount or especially Criterion would release a Blu-ray.

6. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I was at a the Village theater in Westwood...sold out. When the film was over no one left their seats. Shocked and stunned... we all needed a few minutes to collect ourselves and then walked silently out of the theater.

The Drifter and ahollis like this.
  7. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I hope this means catalogue releases are forth coming in any capacity.

Has anyone tried appealing to Robert Redford to help get Ordinary People released?

MatthewA likes this.
  8. Message #68 of 68 Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Great memories of people seeing LFMG on it's original release. I was too young to see the film back in '77, but do remember hearing about the film & it was obviously hugely popular at the time. I first read the novel circa 2008-2009 (before I saw the film), and it was very disturbing - even more so when I realized it was based on a true story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseann_Quinn

Ken Koc likes this.