What's new

Isabel's Choice (1981) Television Film with Jean Stapleton and Betsy Palmer (no release since VHS!) (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
This under-appreciated and "lost" little gem needs to be ressurected for physical media. It has only ever been issued on VHS (twice, I believe, by 2 different distributors). It features a quite skilled ensemble cast including Richard Kiley and Peter Coyote along with supporting roles by Betsy Palmer and Mildred Dunnock. The storyline may not be as exciting as some contemporary films. However, I found myself drawn into this film the first time I saw it. I attribute it to the well-acted lead by Jean Stapleton who is nothing like her predecessor "Edith Bunker". It is a wonderful character study!
I found that it is owned by Stuart Millar-Pantheon. Not sure if it is now owned by another production company but I thought maybe bringing it some attention might shed some light on the prospects of a company like Kino possibly bringing this never-on-dvd or BR film to commercial release. Is anyone familiar with this wonderful film?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I wish more TV movies would get released but they can't all be $30 a pop (what many boutique labels typically charge).
I hear you on this issue. But, for this particular movie, I would glady shell out $30 as it's a favorite of mine. I have only ever seen it on VHS. To finally see it remastered and looking sharp would be incredible. I could see Kino doing it for $17.99-$19.99 (the typical pre-order price range).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Why not put a group together and try to get a license from King Features. Post wouldn’t be a big deal. Probably get a 4k master for under $40k.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Why not put a group together and try to get a license from King Features. Post wouldn’t be a big deal. Probably get a 4k master for under $40k.
Not sure if there is enough personal interest in getting that done. Did you mean Kino could get a license from King Features? I'm wondering if any boutique label has licensed from them before.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Edith Bunker and Mrs. Voorhees together in a film

Thinking Pondering GIF by 5-hour ENERGY®

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Edith Bunker and Mrs. Voorhees together in a film

Thinking Pondering GIF by 5-hour ENERGY®
And they have many scenes together. Their characters work very well together. Betsy Palmer is very funny and lends a lot of comic relief to the movie. Jean Stapleton is truly captivating as a strong woman holding her own with the big business guys. It doesn't sound like a whole lot of story but it actually moves at a pretty swift pace. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be available in any streaming platform. VHS is really the last and only viewing option apart from the TV network premiere in 1981 that this film has ever been given.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
You wouldn't think Betsy Palmer could be funny because of Friday The 13th, but she did have a fun side to her, especially when she did the long running game show I Got A Secret with Gary Moore and then Steve Allen.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
You wouldn't think Betsy Palmer could be funny because of Friday The 13th, but she did have a fun side to her, especially when she did the long running game show I Got A Secret with Gary Moore and then Steve Allen.
Very true! I've seen her on "I Got A Secret" and she was charming and a lot of fun. Hopefully, someday this gem of a movie is re-discovered and released. There's a cute little gag that runs through a couple of her scenes revolving around a can of almonds. :lol:

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
Your post got my hope up that this was getting released by someone, somewhere!

I keep my Mom's VCR working just so she can still watch this occationally.

Maybe someday I can retire it!

Last edited:

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Your post got my hope up that this was getting released by someone, somewhere!

I keep my Mom's VCR working just so she can still watch this occationally.
I am hanging onto hope that someone will notice and release it. I'm glad there is somewhat of an appreciation for this film. Your mom has great taste. I truly feel like this would such a good fit for Kino's library. But, of course, any company who would rescue this film from the vaults would have my utmost respect and appreciation. They don't make movies like this anymore.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not sure if there is enough personal interest in getting that done. Did you mean Kino could get a license from King Features? I'm wondering if any boutique label has licensed from them before.
Didn't say that

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's a pity that Friday The 13th is Betsy Palmer's legacy. A movie that she hated (upon reading the script, she reputedly called it a piece of sh*t) and that she thought no one would see and only took the low paying job because she needed a new car.

She showed great promise in the mid 1950s with movies like Mister Roberts, John Ford's The Long Gray Line and Queen Bee with Joan Crawford in which she gave the only good performance in the movie. But a movie career never really happened for her so the stage and television were her bread and butter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's a pity that Friday The 13th is Betsy Palmer's legacy. A movie that she hated (upon reading the script, she reputedly called it a piece of sh*t) and that she thought no one would see and only took the low paying job because she needed a new car.
I'm a huge Friday The 13th fan but I know what you mean. That being said, I suppose it's better to be remembered for something rather than nothing. Also, the horror movie convention circuit probably helped keep her comfortable in her final years.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Friday The 13th fan but I know what you mean. That being said, I suppose it's better to be remembered for something rather than nothing. Also, the horror movie convention circuit probably helped keep her comfortable in her final years.
Alas, actors have nothing to say about how they'll be remembered. After 20 years as an actress and three Oscar nominations, Eleanor Parker resented being recognized and remembered only as the Baroness in The Sound Of Music although according to one of her children, she came to terms with it very late in her life. After a distinguished career in the theatre and in film, Alec Guinness reputedly hated being recognized by the younger generation for his contribution to Star Wars.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Didn't say that
My apologies. I think you meant I would possibly start a group to finance the license of the movie. I literally have zero knowledge of what goes into that. Financially, there is no way I would handle that. But it was a nice suggestion. Hoping some company takes an interest in this movie at some point. It's definitely deserving of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks