What's new

Will we ever see JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Is there even a remote possibility that this unique film will someday come out?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With the number of players reaching people's homes this holiday season, there is going to be a market for more family oriented films, and this one was a huge hit when it was released, and if judging by the number of items that are regularly being sought after on ebay is any indication, it is still popular. This film generated a ton of merchandising - I see bids over $100 for the lunchkit that was released. I am sure that with the right treatment (and I don't mean pan and scanning it) this could be a pretty popular catalogue title, not only for the thousands who grew up with it but also the legions of Neil Diamond fans who would go nuts for it. Get a video introduction or commentary by Diamond and you'd certainly have a hit.
Do I need to set up a campaign page and spam the Neil Diamond newsgroups for this? :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
this one was a huge hit when it was released
The book was a number one bestseller, and Neil Diamond's soundtrack was a hit, but the film itself was a bomb. Believe me, I was there. We saw it during it's first week of release and the theater was empty. I think it only stayed around 2 or 3 weeks. According to IMDB, the US gross was only 1.6 million (on a budget of 1.5 million). Even for 1973 that's not too good.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it (I'm a huge fan of Diamond's 70s output), but this is a very minor cult title at best. I absolutely support your call for getting this on DVD, but this one is going to be an uphill battle.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks for clearing that up Craig. I never saw this theatrically (was a wee lad back then). I still say that revisiting it properly could do wonders. There wasn't the internet in 1973. A bit of marketing can do wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks