What's new

Top 1973 Films by Box Office 50th Anniversary 4K Releases? (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This is a list of the highest grossing 1973 films. Several have been announced for 4K in 2023, some have already been released in 4K.
I would expect some series films like Magnum Force (Dirty Harry) and Live and Let Die (James Bond) to be released as part of a series set so they are less
likely to get a 50th Anniversary release. Some are owned by Disney so probably no release. Here is hoping for more 50th Anniversary sets in 2023. Not on this list but a film also released in 1973 was "Mean Streets"

The Exorcist 4K announced
The Sting already in 4K
American Graffiti
Papillon
The Way We Were 4K Announced 2/14/23
Magnum Force
Live and Let Die
Robin Hood (Disney)
Paper Moon
Serpico 4K announced
Jesus Christ Superstar
The World's Greatest Athlete (Disney)
Enter the Dragon Announced 4K
Sleeper
A Touch of Class
The Day of the Jackal
High Plains Drifter already in 4K
The Last Detail already in 4K
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (2oth/Disney)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Westworld
Lost Horizon
The Day of the Dolphin
Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is a list of the highest grossing 1973 films. Several have been announced for 4K in 2023, some have already been released in 4K.
I would expect some series films like Magnum Force (Dirty Harry) and Live and Let Die (James Bond) to be released as part of a series set so they are less
likely to get a 50th Anniversary release. Some are owned by Disney so probably no release. Here is hoping for more 50th Anniversary sets in 2023. Not on this list but a film also released in 1973 was "Mean Streets"

The Exorcist 4K announced
The Sting already in 4K
American Graffiti
Papillon
The Way We Were 4K Announced 2/14/23
Magnum Force
Live and Let Die
Robin Hood (Disney)
Paper Moon
Serpico
Jesus Christ Superstar
The World's Greatest Athlete
Enter the Dragon Announced 4K
Sleeper
A Touch of Class
The Day of the Jackal
High Plains Drifter already in 4K
The Last Detail
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Westworld
Lost Horizon
The Day of the Dolphin
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
World's Greatest Athlete (Disney)

Battle for the Planet of the Apes (Disney)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Last Detail just got a UHD release from Shout! Factory and Kino Lorber already confirmed Serpico is coming in 2023.

I don't expect Universal to skip American Graffiti for its anniversary and Arrow upgrading The Day of the Jackal to 4K seems probable. Criterion is working on Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, but who knows if it'll be a UHD release. Paper Moon seems like a perfect Paramount Presents release, but I dunno if they'd make it UHD.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I’m not sure if it’s been officially announced yet, but American Graffiti seems to be on its way.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
American Graffiti I think is a given. Paper Moon seems like a logical Paramount Presents release. I would not count on anything from Disney or Fox though.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The Last Detail just got a UHD release from Shout! Factory and Kino Lorber already confirmed Serpico is coming in 2023.

I don't expect Universal to skip American Graffiti for its anniversary and Arrow upgrading The Day of the Jackal to 4K seems probable. Criterion is working on Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, but who knows if it'll be a UHD release. Paper Moon seems like a perfect Paramount Presents release, but I dunno if they'd make it UHD.
That's great news about Peckinpah's Pat Garrett. What else do you know about their plans for it? All three versions like Touch of Evil?

HarleyDog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis Haney
Am I the only twisted individual who would be elated to have Lost Horizon (the musical) on 4k?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
The early 70's was the last time Directors were able to actually make "their" films with out it being pulled out of their hands, being told what they can and can't do and to spread their artistic wings. Look at the previous list of top box office films and what a wonderful batch of different kinds of films. No cookie cutter patterns here.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
O Lucky Man!

I'd settle for a standard Blu-ray release (it would go very well with If....), another one rumoured to be a Criterion release (I wonder where these rumours originate?).

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
O Lucky Man!

I'd settle for a standard Blu-ray release (it would go very well with If....), another one rumoured to be a Criterion release (I wonder where these rumours originate?).
I bought If… Criterion a while back, still haven’t watched it. So many films, so little time…

Users who are viewing this thread