What's new

Will there be more season sets of Cartoon Network? (1 Viewer)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Since Samurai Jack is coming out in a season set, can we look forward to Powerpuff Girls in season sets (or at least more episode collections -- why have they stopped?) and possibly even Dexter's Laboratory (don't know why the VHS sets haven't at least been released to DVD)?

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
I imagine that if Samurai Jack sells well, then season sets of the following will likely be considered next:

Powerpuff Girls
Dexter's Lab
Ed, Edd and Edy
Johnny Bravo

All those series are Cartoon Network productions and contain enough episodes to easily start on Season Sets. I have a feeling that Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls will be first in line though.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Sean Aaron -- Good question...I also wonder why they've stopped releasing those best-of collections. I guess they've lost interest in the show, now that the ratings have dropped and fans pretty much agree that it's jumped the shark. I guess the movie was a disappointment for the studio too. I used to see all kinds of Powerpuff merchandise in stores, but not anymore...it seems like they've lost faith in PPG as a moneymaker. It's too bad because there are so many great episodes that I fear will never make it to DVD.

Joshua Lane -- Oh great.. now you're telling me I have to buy Samurai Jack if I want to see more Powerpuff Girls DVDs? As much as I want season sets of Powerpuff Girls, (very very much!) I can't afford to buy shows I'm not interested in just 'cause they're in the same sort of category or owned by the same studio, and my purchase *might* increase the chances of the release I *really* want. If they'd actually come out and say "we will definitely release Powerpuff Girls if we sell ___ copies of Samurai Jack"... then maybe. But that won't happen.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
I was hoping when I saw Samurai Jack on the shelves, maybe Dexter and PPG can't be far behind...only time will tell I guess.

I don't like Samurai Jack, but Dexter is gold...I have the PPG discs released so far (except "Twas the Fight Before Xmas"), but would rebuy in season sets.

Off topic, I wish Disney would put Recess out in season sets, but not likely.

GeoffBr

Agent
I'm with the other posters. I find Samurai Jack far too stylized for my taste -- I can watch only so many letterboxed attack sequences before I start feeling a little naseuous -- but I'd buy Dexter's Lab season sets in a second.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron

Really, what's happened? I haven't had access to Cartoon Network for nearly three years, so I'm totally out of the loop. I thought the movie was great (especially the R2 anamorphic DVD), but haven't gone for the Xmas DVD yet because it's just the one episode, so it seems like more of a gamble -- opinions on this one?

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Sean Aaron - well, the creator and several other people involved, left the show. I haven't seen the newest episodes, but I've visited PPG forums and it seems a lot of people were disappointed in them. The writing and animation have gone downhill since Craig left...that appears to be the general consensus anyway. Also Cartoon Network seems to lack interest in airing the new eps ... I hear the scheduling has been spotty.

As for the PPG movie (which I enjoyed, although not as much as the series) ... it got a fair number of bad reviews, and I read somewhere that the studio expected it to do better at the box-office. I'm thinking (just my theory) maybe that's why the new Christmas movie was released straight to DVD.

And doesn't it seem like the PPG episode DVDs stopped coming out after the first movie's theatrical release? If it had been a huge success, I think they would've released more episode collections to cash in.

P.S. I liked the Christmas movie... although the story was kinda predictable, there were some cute moments and it was entertaining. Of course I'm starved for PPG DVDs, so I'm not the best judge. :)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm more interested in new Adult Swim DVDs,namely more Aqua Teen, some Sealab and Harvey Birdman, and more Space Ghost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks