Will there be a SE of Smokey and the Bandit ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by T r o y, Nov 26, 2001.

1. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I understand the current version of Smokey and the Bandit is not 16x9 enhanced. Should I get this one or wait on a possible special edition which will hopefully be anamorphic ?
    Any info. appreciated,
    Troy

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Troy, I sure hope so!!

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    not only is Smokey and the Bandit not 16x9 enhanced its also in mono, which to me is worse. I would love to have it in a remastered 5.1.

Wes

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I heard they were remaking Smokey and the bandit starring Owen Wilson, with the twist that Wilson's character would not be the same kind of Bandit as Reynold's character, he will just believe that he is that kind of guy. I have no idea where to confirm this, I'm just typing from memory. But I would believe if they ever planned to rerelease it (as they should, I think it's pretty classic) it would probably coincide with the remake.

5. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Oooo.. Let´s Hope for a remake!!
    [​IMG]
    i REALLY Do want this movie with a new transfer and meybe a commentarytrack?!
    Please?
    Wait, it´s Universal right? How´bout an Ultimate Edition?!?!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

[sarcasm]Sorry, there will be no ultimate edition of Smokey and the Bandit. There will however be a super-duper double ultimate edition of Smokey and the Bandit 2 and the Sting 2. [​IMG][/sarcasm]

7. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Was that sarcasm?

8. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Yes this one is ripe for an SE. Director Hal Needham did commentary for Cannonball Run, so I imagine he could be coerced into doing one for Smokey. Would be fun to have Burt, Sally and Jerry on another track but that seems like a real longshot. I'm not at all thrilled with Universal these days though, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Supposedly Smokey was one of Alfred Hitchcock's very favorite films. More proof that he was a man of discerning taste--it's a hugely entertaining movie to this day.

Jackie Gleason is just a force of nature in this movie. How he was coaxed into doing the jaw-droppingly abysmal (and very fun because of its wretchedness) Smokey 3 is beyond me. Guess they offered him a truckload of cash.

9. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Well, can we at least have the uncut, non-PC version?
    In the current home video versions-- not noted anywhere on the package(!)-- Gleason's bigoted, ignorant cop is reduced to some poor shlub that the film's heroes pick on.
    The dialogue changes make the foe less hateful, and the movie less effective.

10. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Thought I would wake this thread back up to see if anyone has any new bits of info. for this title ?

Regards

Troy

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

This movie is definately game for a rerelease. It's a lot of fun, and certainly has a fan base.
    A GREAT added feature would be a Saturday Night Live skit that aired in 1997 with a "20th anniversary restoration", complete with clips of Norm MacDonald playing Burt Reynolds.

12. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Still no word if the original will be revisited as a SE, but Smokey 2 is coming out in early June.

The first two flicks are all time great guilty pleasures. Smokey 3 is an all time turkey in my opinion.

13. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I still watch "Smokey" every time it comes on television, even though it's cut all to hell. The best thing was that Turner Classics showed it uncut and in widescreen about two or three months ago. Pure heaven. Hearing Jackie Gleason say "Sumbitch" instead of "Scumbum" was great. [​IMG]
    "Smokey 2" was okay, but it pales in comparison to the original. "Smokey 3" didn't really exist. Let us never speak about it again. [​IMG]
    "When I get home, I'm gonna punch your mama in the mouth."

14. Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan Second Unit

The guy who made Bring it On was supposedly writing the script to the supposed remake of Smokey. Haven't heard anything in ages about this project though.

15. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd love to see a remastered edition of this film. I'll be perfectly happy with a new 16x9 transfer with just cleaned up 2.0 mono. Perhaps a commentary by Hal Needham would be neat.

One cool thing...my father, who was the assistant police chief of Stone Mountain, GA in 1977, helped out with some of the location safety/security around Atlanta.