What's new

Will there be a Ferris Bueller SE? (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Taking an optimistic view here, that spec list does actually say "choice" bonus beatures. Which indicates the possibility that there might be more. I really can't believe they'd leave off the commentary...that's just dumb.
I think a "choice bonus feature" would be a director's commentary track, regardless of its inclusion on the original release and the fact that Hughes was pretty dull on it. The back cover specs don't bode well for us getting a worthwhile special edition here, and I still find it hard to believe that there's enough extra material to justify a 2-disc set.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I still find it hard to believe that there's enough extra material to justify a 2-disc set.
It is, however, counterintuitive for a studio to release a 2-disc set when the material will fit on one disc... manufacturing and shipping costs are considerably higher for a two disc set.

Ironically, Paramount's list of discs and bonus features, made available to reviewers each month, seems to have some file corruption or some other error that completely obscures the features list for this and one other title. These lists are sometimes a bit more clear and/or complete than the text on the box. I've sent a note to Paramount asking for a features list, or a correction to the document. If I hear anything back, I'll post an update here.

-Scott

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it has to do with the fact that it's Detroit, the reason he's wearing it is because it's Gordie Howe's jersey. It's all about the player, not the location.
OK then ... what's the significance of Gordie Howe? Was he Hughes' favorite player or something?

John*P

Second Unit

Agreed. I enjoyed that track quite a bit...in fact, I've listened to it twice. I'm definitely holding on to the old disc for that commentary. Its a treat to listen to if you're a John Hughes fan, especially since its the only track he's recorded. (so far...)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Here's the info I received from Paramount. Worded a bit differently - perhaps a bit less cryptic than the back of the box... looks like no commentary.

-----

Supplemental Features:

Widescreen Version Enhanced for 16:9 TVs or Full Screen Version and features Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround; English and French 2.0 Surround sound along with English and Spanish subtitles and closed captioning for the hearing impaired.

· Five Featurettes: “Getting the Class Together – The Cast of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,”

· “The Making of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “The World According to Ben Stein,” “Who is Ferris Bueller?” and “Vintage Ferris Bueller: The Lost Tapes”

· Photo gallery

-----

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Same cryptic stuff. No runtimes, no details, no nothing. Is there no proper press-release, you know where they extoll how the featurettes are in-depth excursions into craft services during the making of the film, etc.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Well at least that information makes it clear that "Vintage" is another featurette and not (as Paul suggested it might be) trailers.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
The site is now live and it provides more info on the special features (new interviews with Matthew Broderick, Jennifer Grey, Ben Stein and Alan Ruck, deleted scenes, etc.) In the downloads section there is a picture of what looks like a deleted scene. Its the fourth picture from the left and has Ferris holding a guitar in his room.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
DVDTalk's review is up. He didn't compare the A/V quality to the previous release (although he says it "looks and sounds great"), and does highly recommend it.
A couple things of note: Hughes' commentary is NOT on the disc nor is the trailer (though you do get "trailers" for other Paramount discs), and it is NOT a 2-disc set as previously reported.
http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19517
According to the review, all the featurettes run ~10-15 minutes, except the Getting the Class Together featurette, which runs for nearly 28 minutes.

Haden

Supporting Actor
A lackluster release, as expected. Now I have to go track down the original Ferris DVD again since I sold it on Ebay a year ago. It'll serve as the "second disc" since Paramount neglected to include the commentary on this new release. Sigh...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
He didn't compare the A/V quality to the previous release (although he says it "looks and sounds great"), and does highly recommend it.
Well, he does say:

...and a lot of the muddiness and the mpeg compression artifacts that were present on the first DVD release have been eliminated.

I'll wait for more reviews, but I may pick this up for the right price if the video quality is better.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was looking at this yesterday and noticed that there was no

commentary.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt look at the review. i usually dont.

looking at the back of the dvd i didnt see anything that mentioned broderick, but that was on a quick look so i may have missed it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks