What's new

Let's talk John Hughes films on dvd. (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting this by saying I loved The Pretty in Pink, and Some Kind of Wonderful special editions. The Molly Ringwald interviews on PIP were so full of interesting info(she and Andrew McCarthy had real feelings,and chemistry for each other) and the features were great, but somehow I felt the SE was missing something. John Hughes. He's not opposed to doing commentary tracks. He did commentary for the first Ferris Bueller release on dvd.
Some Kind of Wonderful was a good special edition, but it wasn't nearly as in-depth as the Pretty in Pink dvd. Again it could have benefited from John Hughes interviews, or commentary.

Both versions of Ferris Bueller on dvd have been less than average. Not in picture, or sound, but special features. The commentary by Hughes on the first release was fantastic, but that was it...nothing else. Hughes talks about some deleted scenes in his commentary, so they I imagine they exist, just not on dvd. The second release (Bueller..Bueller edition) is a joke. Must have been a rush job from Paramount.
Nothing on there even close to interesting. Pretty much short vintage clips from the actors and Hughes talking about the film. Oddly enough the commentary from the first release isn't found on this edition.???.

John Hughes Films from Universal. Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, and The Breakfast Club. These films have been recycled since 1998 on dvd, and all the while I have been waiting for true special editions for each of them. Mainly, I would like to see Hughes himself involved in some special features for each film, with commentary for them. Also getting the cast for the films involved.
Imagine a Breakfast Club Special edition with all the actors sharing their memories about the film, and John Hughes giving his insight about it. Deleted scenes would be great. In the trailer for TBC there is a scene with Ally Sheedy and Emilio Estevez that isn't in the film. Sheedy "I don't want to be alone anymore" Estevez " You don't have to be". There is also another shot from the trailer I didn't see in the film. I'm pretty sure there is plenty of stuff to cram onto a SE version of each of these films. What is Universal waiting for?
IMO, John Hughes IS the 80's, and his films need to be released on dvd in the best possible way.

MTRodaba2468

Agent
Real Name
Matt Rodabaugh
There's allegedly a 2 & 1/2 hour length version of The Breakfast Club that Hughes is in possession of. Personally, I'd like to see it.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
There is also a rumored three hour cut of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles which will most likely never see the light of day, assuming it exists at all. Someone (maybe on this forum) speculated that Hughes must have had some sort of falling out with the studios (specifically Paramount and Universal) which is why he's nowhere to be seen on the DVDs and why his lone commentary track didn't make it to the Ferris Bueller SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks