What's new

Will Sliders ever make it to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. It's especially discouraging that you, Dave, haven't heard any rumblings despite the various contacts your site appears to have. Congrats on the site, btw. :)

For what it's worth, I shot off an email to Universal Home Video (I understand that they have the rights...). I'm not too hopeful of receiving a useful response, though.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Yeah, seems like this will stay in limbo for a while, though I agree its a matter of when, not if.

I'd buy the first 3 seasons I think, though I agree there was a trend in season 3 for moster of the week movie rip-offs. Season 4 had some decent episodes, but was weighed down by a lot of bad ones and the budget, or lack there of, definitely hurt it more than scifi said it would. I saw a few episodes of season 5 and the show had absolutley no resemblance to its former self. Quin's mind was in some other guy and the only original member was Cleavant Derricks. When putting the show on dvd, it might be best to pretend the fifth season didn't even happen.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the first three seasons were awesome. It has been a long time since I've seen them, though.

Season five really sucked. I don't even think that the network here in Australia screened them all; and if they did, it was probably moved to 1am.

Kari Wuhrer is enough to make me want to buy season four, though :D.

I just hope that season one and two are packaged together. This way we will still get a fair chunk of the 'good' episodes even if lack of demand means there would be no further season releases. IIRC, s1&s2 together is about 24 or so episodes.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I would probably pick up season one. There are a few episodes of season two that I thought lived up to the first, but they were few and far between. Season three I couldn't stomach... but I remember season four having some really good episodes. Season five, well, moving on...

Sliders was one of those shows, had it kept it's original producers/writers, could have been among the greats. Now I just look back and remind myself how Fox chose season two over a new, American/BBC co-production of Doctor Who. Makes me maaaaaad! :angry:

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Even though those later seasons weren't good, Cleavant Derricks was always good in them. So I may buy up to season 4, I forget when exactly the series took a drastic turn for the worst, but I remember the show never really living up to the potential of the premise anyways. I still have fond memories and at the right price point, I will be buying these.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Considering the first two seasons were, as mentioned above, only half seasons, putting them both in one release wouldn't be out of the question. I think I'd prefer it that way so as to insure there wouldn't be a long wait and that there wouldn't be the problem of the second season not coming out if the first didn't sell well.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sliders was at its best. When it took our world and changed it in a more realistic fashion. For example having a world where the Russians won the cold war or the British won the Revolutionary War. Or even subtle things like when they saw a billboard for an Elvis concert on a world where he didn't die in 1977. When they started with the Kromag's and that Jerry O'Connel's character wasn't from his Earth. It lost it.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
I really want to see the episode where the lottery is the prefered method of population. I remember seeing that when it was the aired as the season finale and haven't seen it since.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Sabrina Lloyd still looking good. Saw some of the early episodes on Sci Fi, reminding me how good the series actually was.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Sliders was at its best. When it took our world and changed it in a more realistic fashion. For example having a world where the Russians won the cold war or the British won the Revolutionary War. Or even subtle things like when they saw a billboard for an Elvis concert on a world where he didn't die in 1977
I loved this show to death when the first season ran on Fox. Episodes that come to mind most sharply are the ep when antibiotics hadn't been invented and the communist USA eps. Good stuff. I've never been a diehard TV watcher ever since I graduated HS ('97), so I only really remember the first season or 2. Later eps on Sci-fi frightened me.
You can tell a show is going down the tubes when they decide "ditch the boring scientist guy and put in a hot chick instead to improve ratings". :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks