Will I miss the mid-bass?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Conrad Ebel, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Conrad Ebel

Conrad Ebel Agent

I'm putting together a new 7.1 system. I already have most of the pieces, including 2 Polk RTi38s (fronts), 4 Polk RTi28s (surround and rear), and the CSi40 for the center. I also have 2 10" subwoofers from my old 5.1 system that I was going to use. Now I'm wondering if the RTi38s will provide enough mid-base. My 5.1 system had pretty weak main cabinet speakers (old ~50w Technics), but they had 8" woofers in them to go along with the sub.

I should be receiving my new receiver in a day or two. I have heard all the speakers individually, but never all together. I guess I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they sound good together. From the research I've done, they should.

From those of you who are familiar with these components, will I be disappointed or miss any of the "mid-bass" from the RTi38 fronts? Feel free to give input or comment on my setup as well (as I can still return the speakers if I wanted to).

Thanks in advance for any input.

This is my first post BTW. [​IMG]

2. Ron Daily

Ron Daily Extra

Conrad, I have a set of RTi38's for mains on 31 inch stands powered by the onkyo TX-SR601 along with a polk PS-202 sub. I am very happy with the midrange of the Rti38's. I don't yet have any surrounds or center speakers and just listen to music mostly. I have noticed that the high end seems to distort before the midrange at high volume levels. My plan is to get a pair of Rti-70 towers to use for mains and then use the 38's for surround. The extra driver in the Rti-70's should add quite a bit more midrange.I noticed you have a TX-SR800 so maybe the extra power you have over my receiver will give you a little more midrange. Please let me know how your setup sounds when you get it finished.
    Ron

3. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

With the RTI38's you shouldn't be missing any mid bass at all. Naturally, you will be missing the lower bass region, but that's to be expected with a bookshelf speaker. Placement is key. Find the right spot where the bass, mid range, and highs sound just right to you and enjoy them. I have a very similar set up and am quite happy.