What's new

WILD AT HEART (consolidated thread) (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This film was actually originally released in the US as P&S on LD. there was an outcry and it was re-released WS. I have one, but it seems to have pretty bad rot, or else it was just a terrible transfer. I'm not too much of a Lynch fan either, but I like this one.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I thought I saw rumors (at Digital Bits I assume) that this was on MGM's slate for the fall.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Actually, it was announced as a pan/scan release but after the outcry it was changed to widescreen at the last minute. A pan/scan version was never released in the US.
So that's why there is no indication of it being widescreen printed on the jacket.

I've always wondered about that.

I too have this LD.

The only indication at purchasing time was a sticker that simply said "WIDESCREEN" on the cellophane wrapping.

Joel

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
We need this one on DVD, and we need it quick. After seeing the awesome job MGM did with the Blue Velvet DVD, I can only hope they take the same time and care to do Wild at Heart.

Matt Shiv

Agent
I'm 99% sure CBS-Fox had nothing to do with Wild At Heart. I don't recall them having any affiliation with Media.
I actually still have an old used rental copy of this on vhs and it does indeed have the CBS/FOX logo along with the Media logo on the packaging.

As much as I would like the see an extended cut of this film and have lots of extras for a dvd release, I am to the point where I would give anything just for a bare bones anamorphic disc on this title! I hope whoever has this title will be releasing it soon!

Marc Daege

Auditioning
So that's why there is no indication of it being widescreen printed on the jacket.

I've always wondered about that.

I too have this LD.

The only indication at purchasing time was a sticker that simply said "WIDESCREEN" on the cellophane wrapping.
True. The first pressing did not have the WIDESCREEN logo as the jackets were printed up before the decision was changed to go with OAR. They simply stuck a sticker on there for the first pressing.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie, and would do (almost) anything to get my hands on it ASAFP.

This DVD is a symbol of my personality...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The widescreen LD of Wild at Heart was released by Image Entertainment. A logo on the cover indicates that Media Entertainment, Inc. held the copyright. Another logo on the back cover indicates that the title is also available on videocassette from CBS/Fox.

The Image LD had an extremely noisy transfer. It requires a top-of-the-line player, perfectly adjusted, to make it watchable. In fact, I used to use it to test the work of the technician who adjusted two of my players.

The title was listed as a "coming" LD special edition for many years by one of the specialty companies (may have been Elite; at this point I can't remember), but there were numerous reports of rights problems, and nothing ever appeared.

M.

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
It has a lot of the same power that E. had.
-HA!

Michael Reuben-

You are correct about the announced LD special Edition that was announced but sadly never happened. The company WAS Elite. An interesting note is that this would have been the FIRST Lynch Special Edition ever! (If you don't count the Japanese Dune LD box set, which was simply two versions of the film packaged together, but there was no real supplaments of any kind.)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Count me in! This is an must-own on DVD.

Looks like ol Mr. One-eye is looking to go peeping in a seafood store! -- Bobby Peru

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Found this on http://www.dugpa.com/faq.html
MGM has the rights to Wild at Heart. Originally they had planned on starting production on this title sometime after the release of the Blue Velvet Special Edition DVD. However, I have been told by inside sources that this project has been put on the back burner for the time being. No official word has been made, so at this point, it is all hearsay. Again, 2003 would be your best bet at this point.

Jon.C

Auditioning
I'm dying for this as well. I've been thinking of reading the novel it's based on Wild at Heart: The Story of Sailor and Lula. There's also a sequel called The Wild Life of Sailor and LuLu.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Reviving this old thread again. Any updates? I'm really tempted to buy the R2 DVD, which has the nicest cover art I've seen. Alas, it is bare-bones and I would definitely take the SE instead if it get's released.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks