What's new

Widescreen Altering? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's a question.....

Live Action shows you can do nothing about as far as altering them for the widescreen generation. However, for animated cartoons, it's much easier to animate the extra space in to provide a widescreen picture, although obviously still alot of work.

Now, if this where done to most shows, would you support and buy it, if only because it fills the picture of a widescreen set and makes it that much nicer to watch?

It would also give some shows the chance to redoo what I call the 'cheap animation' episodes that the creators might not be so happy about....and fix animation mistakes that a rough production schedule wouldn't allow the first time...

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think they should just leave the shows alone. (e.g., If they were 4:3, then leave them that way.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
NO!
bad idea all the way around.

last thing anyone should be doing is giving anyone any ideas on altering the oar of anything.

if we get no more responses to this thread maybe it will dissapear.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I think you are missing the point of what the "widescreen issue" is. Its really about OAR and not filling your widescreen set with picture.

These old cartoons were shot 4:3 for whatever reason and should remain that way. The best example I can draw to is actually Buffy The Vampire Slayer and the release of the show in widescreen for R2 and fullscreen for R1. The show was shot for 4:3 and not 16:9

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Nothing should be altered "for the widescreen generation" anymore than it should have been "for the color generation" Next people will want to add voice actors and sound effects to silent movies. (And, no, musical tracks, which take the place of the piano or orchestral music that would have accompanied the films originally, don't count as an alteration.)

Having said that I have to mention that a couple of nights before I first came across this thread I happened to catch a few minutes of a show about televsion technology on The Science Channel. As part of a demonstration of digital maniuplation of TV images they showed some clips from an episode of I Love Lucy. By freezing and digitizing different images from an extended scene in the Ricardo's living room, a technician was able to "create" a virtual set with all the fireplace, the walls and all the furniture. Then he was able to reframe the image in widescreen, and put the figures of Lucy and Ethel with all the panning back and forth across the set of the original edit and now now have it all appear as one continuous shot on a cinemascope screen. It was amazing to watch as an experiment and a bit of technological virtuosity. But I remember thinking as I watched it that I hope no one ever seriously tries to do that will full shows and with broadcast in mind.

Original artwork finished long ago by other hands should be left as it is, not "improved" with the latest fad to satisfy the impulse of the moment.

Regards,

Jo

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Aren't most animated shows done in widescreen now since that is the natural shape of the paper? I did some animation in college and we animated on a 16x9 piece of paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks