What's new

Why the Internet is the best thing ever for music lovers (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
In the last 2 weeks -- from the comfort of my own couch -- I have ordered and received music from the following countries:
Canada
United Kingdom
Belgium
Austria
Japan
Hong Kong
Australia
This just wasn't possible before the advent of the Internet. 5 of the CDs I got are completely unavailable in North America. It is now truly a Global Marketplace for music lovers, there are no more country boundaries as far as music goes.
Take a look out there...there are so many CDs that are exclusive to a certain country, or artists that do not sell out of their home country.
I'm a very happy music lover today. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ric, not fair. You can at least disclose the artists and/or websites where you were able to obtain said gems.!!!;)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Ric,

Is there a particular site you utilize for Japanese imports? I have ordered from Europe many times with no problem, but I am having difficulty finding translated versions from Japan.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The internet is a phenomenal resource for prog rock fans. How else could I get CDs by Anglagard and Djam Karet?

RicP

Screenwriter
Is there a particular site you utilize for Japanese imports?
I can read Japanese, so I frequent the in-country retailers, but for a great site that actually translates for you...
Believe it or not...
www.hmv.co.jp
They usually have a very good selection, and their prices aren't terrible and usually in line with other Japanese retailers.
Incidentally, www.hmv.com.au is great also. With the exchange rate the way it is now, you can get things from Oz for close to 40% off. :)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I think the Internet is the best thing for music lovers but for an entirely different reason: live music trading. I'm not talking about MP3s on Napster or Morpheus either. I'm talking about the forums out there to facilitate communication and trading between fans of live shows, especially jam bands. It's amazing how many new artists you can hear for almost free (just the price of blanks + postage) and it's also legal.

NP: Garcia & Kahn - 5/5/82 - Oregon State Prison

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Ric,

What site do you use for the Hong Kong items? Looking for a few SACD's from there with no luck so far. Thks

RicP

Screenwriter
What site do you use for the Hong Kong items? Looking for a few SACD's from there with no luck so far
As far as I know Emil, there are only a handful of SACDs from Hong Kong.
I've seen:
1. Danny Summer
2. George Lam
3. Sally Yeh
4. Danny Chan
5. Jenny Tseng
6. Paula Tsui
And I believe that Chang Hui Mei is coming out with a disc also. I've heard that Cai Chin's "Lao Ge"(Old Songs) will be coming soon as well, that's a great recording!
Which ones were you interested in?
I get most of my Hong Kong CDs in Chinatown. Theres a place in NYC that has a web site where you can order something that they'll get from Hong Kong.
I'll get the URL for you if I can find it ;)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Ric,

How does the shipping work when importing music? Are there any duties you need to pay upon the arrival in the US? There are some Brass Band discs I want that are only available in the UK. Their sites say the buyer is responsible for such matters.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Craig,

I've ordered stuff (CDs, DVDs) from Japan, Hong Kong, canada, and The UK. Most orders have been between $100 & $200 and there have never been any kind of duty charges.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Within a week a while ago, I got stuff from Austria, Japan and Canada. Point and click. Beats trying to explain to some store clerk what you want and then getting the wrong thing two weeks later.
I'll second http://hmv.co.jp for Japanese orders. No trouble at all.
Ryan

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
RicP,
You can read Japanese? and hear differences in cable?
You are my kind of audiophile...I was in Tokyo and Kyoto this summer and loved it. The Japanese are definitely a consumer electronics culture and the CDs available over there were exciting.
Clearly, the web has real advantages for ordering books, CDs, and DVDs. I just order from Chad Kassam but he is only in Kansas, still the drive from Atlanta would be onerous! :)
How many times have we all been to Tower or Best Buy or Borders or Barnes & Noble and found the inventory lacking. With the web, the selection is unbelievable and the prices are still so low that shipping costs are reasonable.
Lee

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but Ric it does mean one bad thing.
Losing those great "hunting trips" to various CD stores looking for some import or hard-to-get gems. I was thinking about this recently and how I almost never go to any of my old stomping grounds. For price I can often just hit Best Buy and for selection (and price) I just look online.
It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Add to this the ability to sample tracks at places like CD Now (let alone any MP3 aspects) and the access to music is ridiculously easy these days.
I guess that's a good thing....but it feels a bit like how instant track selection is a "good thing" with CDs rather than riding out a full tape or vinyl side.
Of course I lament that just days after I finally re-recorded my Prince "Lovesexy" CD to have song stops as the version I had was where he had made the whole CD 1 track to defeat that "song sniping" that CD tracks brought about. So I guess I a black pot on that one (although I put up with that 1 track thing for years and 100's of listenings so I earned some track stops :laugh: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks