Why the Internet is the best thing ever for music lovers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RicP, Mar 12, 2002.

1. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

In the last 2 weeks -- from the comfort of my own couch -- I have ordered and received music from the following countries:
    Canada
    United Kingdom
    Belgium
    Austria
    Japan
    Hong Kong
    Australia
    This just wasn't possible before the advent of the Internet. 5 of the CDs I got are completely unavailable in North America. It is now truly a Global Marketplace for music lovers, there are no more country boundaries as far as music goes.
    Take a look out there...there are so many CDs that are exclusive to a certain country, or artists that do not sell out of their home country.
    I'm a very happy music lover today. [​IMG]

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Ric, not fair. You can at least disclose the artists and/or websites where you were able to obtain said gems.!!![​IMG]

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Ric,

Is there a particular site you utilize for Japanese imports? I have ordered from Europe many times with no problem, but I am having difficulty finding translated versions from Japan.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The internet is a phenomenal resource for prog rock fans. How else could I get CDs by Anglagard and Djam Karet?

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I think the Internet is the best thing for music lovers but for an entirely different reason: live music trading. I'm not talking about MP3s on Napster or Morpheus either. I'm talking about the forums out there to facilitate communication and trading between fans of live shows, especially jam bands. It's amazing how many new artists you can hear for almost free (just the price of blanks + postage) and it's also legal.

NP: Garcia & Kahn - 5/5/82 - Oregon State Prison

7. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Thanks, Ric. [​IMG]

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I've had good luck ordering Japanese stuff from http://www.cdjapan.co.jp in the past and you're right Ric, the internet is great for getting both Music and Movies from all over the world.

9. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Ric,

What site do you use for the Hong Kong items? Looking for a few SACD's from there with no luck so far. Thks

10. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

11. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Ric,

How does the shipping work when importing music? Are there any duties you need to pay upon the arrival in the US? There are some Brass Band discs I want that are only available in the UK. Their sites say the buyer is responsible for such matters.

12. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Craig,

I've ordered stuff (CDs, DVDs) from Japan, Hong Kong, canada, and The UK. Most orders have been between $100 & $200 and there have never been any kind of duty charges.

13. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Within a week a while ago, I got stuff from Austria, Japan and Canada. Point and click. Beats trying to explain to some store clerk what you want and then getting the wrong thing two weeks later.
    I'll second http://hmv.co.jp for Japanese orders. No trouble at all.
    Ryan

14. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Brain,
    Thanks for the info [​IMG]

15. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Ric,

Actually I was looking for all of those. If you can find the site, I would greatly appreciate it.

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    RicP,
    You can read Japanese? and hear differences in cable?
    You are my kind of audiophile...I was in Tokyo and Kyoto this summer and loved it. The Japanese are definitely a consumer electronics culture and the CDs available over there were exciting.
    Clearly, the web has real advantages for ordering books, CDs, and DVDs. I just order from Chad Kassam but he is only in Kansas, still the drive from Atlanta would be onerous! [​IMG]
    How many times have we all been to Tower or Best Buy or Borders or Barnes & Noble and found the inventory lacking. With the web, the selection is unbelievable and the prices are still so low that shipping costs are reasonable.
    Lee

17. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yeah, but Ric it does mean one bad thing.
    Losing those great "hunting trips" to various CD stores looking for some import or hard-to-get gems. I was thinking about this recently and how I almost never go to any of my old stomping grounds. For price I can often just hit Best Buy and for selection (and price) I just look online.
    It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Add to this the ability to sample tracks at places like CD Now (let alone any MP3 aspects) and the access to music is ridiculously easy these days.
    I guess that's a good thing....but it feels a bit like how instant track selection is a "good thing" with CDs rather than riding out a full tape or vinyl side.
    Of course I lament that just days after I finally re-recorded my Prince "Lovesexy" CD to have song stops as the version I had was where he had made the whole CD 1 track to defeat that "song sniping" that CD tracks brought about. So I guess I a black pot on that one (although I put up with that 1 track thing for years and 100's of listenings so I earned some track stops [​IMG] )