What's new

Why so long between tracks in dvd-audio? (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Is it my player, or my disc?

I only have 1 disc but it takes about 3 seconds to go from the end of one track to starting the next one. If a track is suppose to play into the next one, it really sucks.

Is my Toshiba SD4700 the problem? Does SACD do this as well?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If it happens on all discs it is likely the player. I think my friend had one as well and it cut off/muted the first few seconds of each track. I've heard of other minor problems with the unit. I bought my brother the 4800 and a couple of discs and it would not play the DVD-A side of a disc either.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Yep, it does cut off the beginning of a few tracks, but it does the same 2 every time, so I assumed it was bad disc mastering.

I need to get more discs to try out, just need more $$$. If dvd-audio doesn't work like a cd, it won't last. There shouldn't be a pause between tracks and it shouldn't take 5 seconds to find the next track when you hit the next/forward button.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Kyle, would not blame the whole format for bad hardware design. Toshiba's are also noted for not playing the CD layer of hybrid SACDs. My friend who has the 4700 was annoyed as he tried it in a bunch of other things and it worked. There are bad designs in amps, receivers, cars, you name it.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I own both the Panny CP-72 and the Pioneer 563 and have not noticed a pause on either. In fact, the 563 seems to have the quickest track change I have ever seen...

Which DVD-A disc(s) are you having this problem with?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I've heard for several years that Toshibas have certain problems with dvd-audio discs. Try a search here, at Audioreview.com--Digital Sources & Audioasylum (until two years ago, I used to write a lot at Audioreview but after a forum software upgrade, it took forever to load using my modem connection).

My Pioneer DV-656A takes about three seconds between tracks (which IS sort of irritating), but haven't personally noticed it adding any dead space between two tracks joined together.

LJ

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Which DVD-A disc(s) are you having this problem with?
The only disc I own and have listened to in the player is Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom. I know Eric was very unhappy with the disc mixing and mastering. Ah Via Musicom, the first track, is suppose to lead right into Cliffs of Dover, but there is a 2-3 sec. gap that I think is a player or mastering issue. Eric even mentions this on his website when he explains that he had no involvement with the disc at all. I hope to get more discs by the end of the year to try on the player. I am new to high-rez and was just wondering if this was the norm. I think the fact that the player takes so long to advance to the next track is just as annoying as the gaps between songs.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I think with the DVD medium, incl. DVD Video there tend to be more software and compatibility hardware issues due to the fact there are various ways to author discs. For example, I have a bunch of DADs (audio only DVDs) and when I got a bunch of them (from the same label) I played them in my car DVD player on a short trip I went on. One did not play. When I got home it played fine in the home player after being able to see that it had an initial menu that required an extra step. I've had various DVD machines and some DVDs would not play in a particular machine. For the most part, with CD, it is just put in and play (some CDs don't meet the original redbood stds. such as being a bit more than 74 minutes and some machines may have problems).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks