What's new

Why not a Bose System for Audio? I really need to be convinced here! (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If you want stylish speakers, the KEF "eggs" are worth considering, actual model number is KHT2005.2 I think, though you'd have to buy DVD-P and receiver separately (it's a speaker only package). Although IIRC Onkyo now has a DVD-P/receiver as a single unit, which you might want to consider if space is at a premium and you only want one "box".

And if you're getting a plasma, DefTech's Mythos speakers would go nicely with then, although they're a little larger, but they're designed to "go with" plasmas -- imagine long rectangles, much like built-in plasma speakers, which you hang on each side and above or below the panel. Have never heard them though, but I understand most reviews aren't bad.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I am glad to see someone mentioned Paradigm.

I think Paradigm is nicely priced. I got my Monitor 7 towers for $500 pair. Paradim CC-370 center speaker for $300 and an SVS 25_31PC+ sub for $700. my surrounds are JBL N24II that I wanty to upgrade to Paradigms but for $70 they do the trick for now. I think the tweeters on the Monitors could be better but for what I paid at the time for V.3's of the speakers it was an average price and well worth the purchase. I am sure my system would kill anything Bose has to offer.

also ..... CC & BB many times have demo shelf receivers and such. got my Onkyo Receiver a long time ago (DX-TS494, I know old) for $150 like new and still to this day does the job nicely in a 14x11 HT room even after upgrading to my Paradigm speakers.

have you ever opened up any bose product and seen what the speakers are made of ? I have and its not very impressive at all. compare a Bose speaker to a Paradigm speaker and that will answer you questions.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

If you get a chance, take a look at the Mirage omnisats. They are small which is apparently what you want and they have the largest sweet spot of any speaker I have ever heard.

You'll still need a subwoofer to complement them though.

RandyAlbert

Auditioning
Great suggestions, keep the coming. Will be making my purchase first week of December. SO i have a couple more weeks to research..

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My wife loved the Bose systems for so long. Always wanted to listen to them at the store. We just bought our first surround system and after looking at the Bose with her and then shopping around, we decided to build a system not too expensive but that would sound pretty darn good.

We ended up going with a Yamaha HTR-5760 and the JBL Northridde Black Ash speakers: (2) E80s, (1) EC35, (4) E30s for the surrounds and (1) E250p for the sub. We plan on upgrading the sub in the next year to a SVS PB12-ISD.

Bottom line: My wife was very interested in the Bose systems around $2000-$3000 and now after a month or so of having the setup we have now, she has agreed that the Yamaha/JBL system sounds more full and smooth than the Bose ever could. And we put together that setup for around $1700.

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread that should be looked into before jumping into those overpriced small, all mid-to-high-range speakers and a sub-par sub.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I would second the suggestion of checking out the Mirage Omnisats or Microsats; while there are some good small speaker designs from several other companies mentioned here, the Mirages have a unique design. Ironically, the omnipolar design is in some ways similar to Bose's initial "direct/reflecting" philosophy (901, 601 etc. speakers), but a different design and sound.

Bose does a very good job of marketing, and making a sleek system that's easy to use. I attended a demo of one of their HT systems recently (was actually there to see the projector used in the system, not the Bose gear) and I can see its appeal to a certain type of customer, and Bose is obviously successful in that. The canned demo was flashy and didn't allow you to get a very good gauge on the system, which of course is by design. As others have said, you can easily get better performing gear for less money, but it usually won't have quite the same design and integration panache of the Bose.

JamesCB

Second Unit

Bose sounds good to those who have never heard a system set-up and designed for accurate sound reproduction.

When the best you've heard is at the local Best Buy or Circuit City, then you don't have much to compare to.

And I feel Bose has no interest in accurate or realistic sound reproduction. They only seem to be interested in the uneducated consumers' money.

Bottom line: WAY, WAY overpriced and VERY poor sound quality. A rip-off all around.

James

matt-f

Second Unit
If you're really into qualiy then you should have larger budget range.

Get like Polk Audio RTi10s.

JackS

Supporting Actor
James- I think I'd dissagree with you. I've heard Bose on demo many times over the years. My opinion is that for what they are they sound fine. It's the price.
For anyone looking for something small and simular to Bose, I'd reccommend they shop for another major brand at a more reasonable price. Get the sound you want, save money, be happy.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

You have lots of good suggestions but before you spend the money, go listen to them. I don't even own Mirage myself but I auditioned a bunch of speakers (large, small, etc.) and the largest sweet spot of any speaker I heard (including speakers priced way more) were the Mirages. Those tiny ones like the omnisats or the microsats as mentioned above. There is a huge thread over on avs about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks