What's new

Why is it KFC and not Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore? (1 Viewer)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
It might have something to do with ADD. Most people just get to the "Kentucky Fri-", and then lose interest and move on.

But that's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I think the food they serve does't fit any definition of chicken, thus labelling it as such is illegal. ;)
The *cough* "chicken" they serve is some sort of biological mutation they invented to make the food taste better ( :laugh: ) or make the chicken's bigger, or something. Anyway, the mutant they've created isn't chicken, therefore they aren't 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' anymore. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Tom is right.

Although there was/is a rumour (the internet, ya think?) that the FDA made them change their name since the chicken content wasn't high enough, in other words implying that they were including parts of other animals in the mix. Complete fabrication.

I read an article on it a while ago. Evidently there are parts of the southern U.S. where the full name has remained.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's also branding. More than ever, the place is a fast-food joint.

Wasn't really always like that. Back in the 1960s, when the franchise was limited primarily to the South, the restaurants had a good reputation for quality meals in a bucket that were just as good as what Mom would have cooked.

These days, the KFC product is so thoroughly positioned to go head-to-head with Burger King, McDonald's, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and the like, that it needs that zinger of an abbreviation to stick in people's minds as a selling point.

And last time I ate the stuff--eight years ago--I got profoundly sick. Never went back, never will.

But it really was good stuff when the franchise was in its infancy.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Oops. Sounds like I am wrong. :b Damn, sometimes posting on this forum is like being in a live chat!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Urban legends....hehehe. I Love that one about the beakless chickens. Too funny that people actually believe it.

Animal rights groups would be ALL OVER THAT!!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
But it really was good stuff when the franchise was in its infancy.
I have very fond memories of how good it used to be. It seems once Harlan Sanders sold the company, the term KFC was born and the product was never the same again. :frowning:

StephenA

Screenwriter
KFC is disgusting. I'd rather eat a can of Crisco. I feel my arteries hardening thinking about KFC "chicken". I rather have Wendy's any day. And from I've heard, Wendy's is the least fattening out of the fast food joints.

DennisHP

Second Unit
Speaking of beakless chicken, have you checked out headless chicken?
Link Removed
This is NOT an urban legend!

Alex-C

Screenwriter
because Disgusting Chicken Flavored Processed Meat Substitute Palace was too long for the marquee.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, as I was saying, when the place was really, really good--and not truly "fast food"--it was almost the culinary highlight of the weekend, something you looked forward to. Now? Well, the posts above say it all.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Speaking of beakless chicken, have you checked out headless chicken?
Link Removed
This is NOT an urban legend!
Scary! :)
But then again towns all over the place have really odd events :emoji_thumbsup:
I remember Lumberjack Days in Ewen MI, that was fun! (Ewen is a town of about 400 ppl in the U.P.)
Brian

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
When I used to live in Jamaica the Kentucky Fried Chicken was some of the best bird I ever had in my life. After coming to America (hey, an Eddie Murphy Movie :D ) I noticed how crappy the chicken was and actually wondered if it was the same company. The chicken I had at the KFC in Jamaica was actually seasoned with the spices and whatnot they used to advertise. The one I had when I came here made me think that the American translation to 7 herbs and spices was salt, grease, and more salt. :thumbsdown:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, what says quality better than serving it in a bucket?
Bucket of chicken and box of wine -- it doesn't get any better :)
I've started going to KFC again, recently. They've got some good "fast-food" items on their menu again. And their potatoe wedges are tasty and baked, I think. If you're tired of burger fast food places, give KFC a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks