What's new

Why is it KFC and not Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm from Kentucky, so I should at least attempt our version of the story.
Some of the stores around here still refuse to change the monicker. They still have the "old school" Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant look. Anyways, one of the reasons I heard that KFC is just known as KFC and not officially labelled as Kentucky Fried Chicken was because at one point, the state government was strapped for cash (when wasn't it?
). So they looked for ways to make an extra buck. Lo and behold, the legend goes that our state began to charge the Kentucky Fried Chicken corporation (or whoever owned it) for using the state name. Corporation changed it to KFC and bam! the whole spelled-out word of Kentucky is left out of the loop. I'm not even sure if that story is true, but it's plausible, considering how stupid this state gets. But hey, it's still my home, and I still love it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think it's just a way to modernize the franchise, like K mart tried with the whole BIG K fiasco, or burker king referring to themselves as BK..

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I also fell for that old KFC rumor a few years back.

Although KFC often gives me intestinal speed bumps, their spicy strips are pretty damn tasty. And those potato wedges.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Actually, Tom was correct in the second post in this thread. KFC moved away from its previous "Kentucky Fried Chicken" name because the word "fried" was considered unhealthy. Of course, in the last several years, Americans have returned to high calorie, high fat foods in abundance, but I doubt the company will change the name back.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
This is one of the things I will never understand the after hours lounge. There is always rants about stuff I like. I dont like eating bone-in chicken that well anyway, my favorite piece would be a boneless breast, but I think KFCs regular chicken is pretty good and their strips, pop-corn chicken, twisters, sandwitches, etc, are all much better than the average fast food meal. FWIW, there was also a rant a few months ago about how poseur Pizza-Hut pizza is. Pizaa-Hut is my fiance and I's favorite Pizza place (although they arent as good as they used to be, they're still good)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlennKroiss