What's new

Why have Dolby on these movies? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 encoding is compatible with all DTS decoders.

I wish we all didn't have to continue to have this argument of DTS vs. Dolby Digital. If the studios and manufacturers would get off their lazy asses and come out with a balls-to-the-wall HD-DVD format that utilized either MLP 7.1* discrete (at high resolution) or DSD 7.1* discrete (*up to 7.1 discrete with full range, stereo back surrounds if wanted-- it's there for future proofing too)from the original archival master recordings or fresh, high quality digital remixes (if they're improved for near field home theater listening without dumbing down anything all the better) instead of these lossy compressed formats encoded from dumbed down mixes, we'd all benefit. DTS and/or DD would be backwards compatible tracks only.

If it means two dual layered Blue-Ray discs per movie to do it (or something superior to Blue-Ray)... then by all means do it!!

Dan

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
DTS didn't sweeten the surrounds. What they did was encode the soundtracks as-is without alteration. That sounds like the proper thing to do, but there's a 3dB difference in the standard level for the surround channels vs. the front channel in the cinema, compared to home theater where both front and rear channels have the same reference level. DTS didn't make the necessary adjustment...
Really? I didn't know that & since what I quoted was based on a three year old magazine article it needed clarification, thanks for the update. That explains why the latest Anchor Bay DTS/DD tracks (IMO) have such little difference between each other to my ear...well, maybe that's why.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks