What's new

Why aren't you waiting for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD to buy? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I keep seeing post after post about someone needing (or wanting) a new receiver or pre-amp RIGHT NOW.

I have to shake my head in wonder. Why?, you ask.

None of the current crop of receivers or pre-amps include decoding for the new audio formats that will be featured in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, or the HDMI Version 1.3 inputs necessary.

The new audio formats are: DTS-HD (lossy & lossless modes), Dolby TrueHD Lossless, Dolby Digital Plus, and uncompressed PCM with most of those formats with specs. up to 24 bit/192 kHz resolution and 8 channel discrete surround besides regular vanilla DTS/DTS-ES and Dolby Digital/EX lossy formats already on DVD.

Hopefully by CEDIA this year or CES Las Vegas of next year (maybe even sooner) there will be announcements of A/V equipment that is ready for the new HD disc formats... is there a reason why some of you guys can't wait a little longer, so you don't have to buy TWICE in a short span of time?

Just musing aloud. :D

Dan

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
New DD and DTS formats are coming ... So? :)

First, it will take a while before the ability to decode those new codecs migrates down to the cost of receivers that most people want to buy. (Not even in flagship components yet.)

Second, the first generation of players at least, will output 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever the new "std" is) channels of 24/96 PCM that most current receivers can already handle. So at least short term, it's not even necessary for the receiver or pre/pro to be able to decode the new DTS and DD. The players will do it.

Third, there was a poll over on AVS. The question was: are you going to by a Blu-ray/HD-DVD player when they first come out. I'm estimating, but probably 75% of the people said no, they were going to wait and see which one wins the format war, or wait for a universal player than can play everything, or wait until such time as there's enough new content to warrant getting the new hardware.

Fourth, a lot of people knowingly purchase a new receiver every few years anyway. They buy what they buy now, and in a few years, they get a new one.

Fifth, I think you are waaaaay underestimating when new receivers are going to come out that will have the new stuff. There aren't even players available yet! :) I'm betting at least 3rd quarter this year for reasonably priced components, no matter what any of the manufacturer's say. ;)

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya guys,

I have to agree with you there about waiting for the new formats coming... but I guess these guys, some of them anyway are in their first systems so its like I want my HT now or I'll be listening from the Display speakers and we know how those sound like compared to decent systems(even budget).
Just my 2 cts...

Regards.
DavidSGT

SteveCallas

Second Unit
All these new formats, processing modes, connections, and all the other changes that will be coming probably won't be settled down and stable until 2009 at the earliest in my opinion. It's not "right around the corner" as many think.

First was PL, then DD, then DTS, then DDEX, then DTSES, then PLII, then PLIIx, then autoEQ, it just keeps going. Thinking that "holding out" for another year or two will get you all that you need for the future is pretty naive really. I see the biggest thing in the future being a visual autoEQ with a lot more than five filters - seemingly you will be able to alter your FR (including the subwoofer's) just the way you like it and it will occur in the digital realm so no extra conversions will be needed and no sync errors will need to be corrected. This feature will have a MUCH bigger impact than any new surround sound format. Do we really need high resolution surround sound for movies anyway? To me, it seems a little pointless.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Some of us consider both new formats DOA.

Without analog connectivity for Hi-Def Video and Hi-Res Audio, many early adopters are being shut out. And its those folks that would allow these formats to grab a toe hold in the market. As such, both formats are dead.

There was a poll here (not sure where its at now) where something like 80% of those taking the poll said that they would support NEITHER format.

So, I say if you need a new receiver or processor, and you want to wait until the dust settles, its going to be a very, very long time before that happens.

Brian

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I bought recently a new receiver to replace a 4 year old Yamaha that was very nice when it was purchased. With all the devices these days basically requiring component inputs I needed something to switch them. Looking at straight out component switches, it became clear I would save money by just getting a new receiver. The new audio formats would be nice to have, but it's certianly not an issue for me because I don't plan on buying an HD player till the price comes down. And by the sound of it, those players will decode the new formats anyway.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Because my wait for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD won't be over for another four or five years. :D That's how long it will take for the dust to settle from the format war, for the bugs to be worked out, prices come down and for one or both to emerge as real, viable formats. And because I have no compelling reason to wait for either of them.

I've just upgraded in the last year from an analog RPTV (which was on its last leges) to 720p LCoS and I'm delighted. I decided I needed an A/V receiver that could work with my new HD DVR, HDTV and DVD changer. I got the biggest possible collective bang for my buck with all of this geat (including a refurbished Onkyo receiver) and it will hold me just fine for a few years. My SD DVDs have never looked better, and HDTV is terrific. By the time I'm ready for more I'll have saved up for it and the gear will be even better than the stuff that's going to come out this year. I've never felt the need to be the first on the block to buy the latest toys, and I see no reason to change now.

Regards,

Joe

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
I think Travis hit the nail on the head with the comment about component video.

Since HD is pretty common nowadays most folks are upgrading their old receiver to cope with the many more component capable devices such as X Boxes/PS2 and progressive scan DVD players.
Not to mention how cable is now starting to really go HD.

That to me would be the reason to upgrade (like I did), NOT to try and anticipate whos going to win the war over a format noone can buy (or even if they could...) view the content at 1080p on tvs noone makes 'right now.
As far as i know theres arnt many real-world (i.e. less than 5 grand) consumer TVs that supports a native 1080p input.

I went with a receiver that will convert to & switch HDMI NOT because I wanted to make everything HDMI but to make room for all the component equipment that isnt HDMI capable by upgrading to some stuff that is!

Sort of a 'move down one seat on the bus' deal.

I give it at least 2 years before any Blu-Ray/HD-DVD items become commonplace.
Unless it all implodes and they go with something new.

Thats plenty of time for me to save up the pennies and enjoy my current receiver in all its HD glory while some folks are stuck on SD via composite :)

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Also keep in mind that many of us don't do switching.Instead, we directly connect sources to the HDTV.

joeMad

Auditioning
Mark I guess you better head over to Ra-Lin and buy some more gear. I'd be happy to help out by selling you more devices :)

Joe Madden
Ra-Lin Sales

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks