Whould this be a DIY forum without another enclosure question?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Peter DeWitt, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Peter DeWitt

Peter DeWitt Extra

As you can see from my previous post on the sealed 54L DPL12, I got a pretty good in room response. However, I am going to make an 85L vented design and see which I like best. All of this at calibrated levels, of course.

My question is - would this work very well with these parameters:

85L box
    3” Dia FP3 Port
    8 3/8” Length

If you cannot tell, this is the Adire Alignment design. When I check this on WinIsd, I see a large hump in the response and the port length is to short. Is the hump going to be that noticeable? The magnitude would seem to indicate I would. What about the port length discrepancy?

My last questions are:

If I do not like it, can I just plug the port and have an 85L sealed design? If so how would you recommend stuffing it?

The 85L box sealed seems to have a little flatter response, but I do not know if I could tell the difference. Also, the excursion limit seems to be reached @ 20Hz at a lower power than the 54L sealed box.

Sorry about the post heading spelling error.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Peter,

People do this all the time. The 8 3/8" length is for the center tube only. So if you use the dual flared 3" port then you should cut the center tube down to 8 3/8". The flares add another 6" to the overall length.

3. Peter DeWitt

Peter DeWitt Extra

Well, after better search criteria I have answered most of my questions. Sometimes the right words make all the difference. The only questions that are left for the DPL12 are the following:

With the DPL12 Tuned to 20Hz there is a 1-2dB hump in the frequency curve. Will I hear this?

Would it be better to make a bigger box and tune to 16? WinIsd would seem to say no because of maxSPL.

How would you permanently stuff the port? I work at a closed cell foam factory and could easily stuff it with this.

This is for 90/10 HT. Thank you all for your help.