What's new

Who's tired of tournaments? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I would just like to express my appreciation for the time that these tournament organizers put in to these games. I feel that they have enhanced our HTF environment by creating an informative exchange in a very unique and sporting atmosphere. Contrary to what many believe, there is much to be learned from these tournaments. I have personally added about 18 films to my must-see list.
George Kaplan, I consider you the Godfather of the HTF tournament. Keep in mind that my use of that sacred term is the greatest compliment I could give anyone. :D
Someday, I will even try to organize one myself. The dilemma is creating a topic that is truly original.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
:b
I don't want to get into a bunch of back-slapping, but Rain does deserve credit for many of the innovations, including nominations/seconds. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I agree that something can be gained from all these tournaments. That's one of the reasons I started the Obscure Films Tournament - to bolster awareness of good yet little-known films that many people seem to have missed. There are lots of great movies out there that deserve to be seen, from Keith Gordon's A Midnight Clear, to George Romero's Knightriders, to Fridrik Thor Fridriksson's Cold Fever and Children of Nature. You get the picture. If I can turn one person on to these films, and the others featured in the tourney, the trouble of running the tournament will have been worth it. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
At this stage in the evolution of Home Theater Forum, the consensus among the admins is that another section is the last thing we need. So, scratch the idea of a separate forum devoted to tourneys for now.

And, yes, these tournaments are starting to dominate "Polls." My thinking, though, is that these games obviously appeal to a lot of members. My goodness, look how big those threads get. So, let 'em have their fun. If someone wants to start a poll, he or she is still free to do so.

In fact, there's an overlooked post in this section now, dedicated to making lists of the hundred greatest films ever. The poor fella who posted it first put it in "Movies," and I transferred it to here, where it's languishing. I hope someone participates and makes that into a thread.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jack, yep when someones thread gets moved to Polls, they quickly get that sinking feeling, "No not polls, not polls, goodbye thread".:)
The tourneys have taken over Polls, and they are popular with 'some' members, I have no problem with that. But maybe a seperate tourney section might be a good idea for the future, normal poll threads tend to vanish in a sea of tourney threads, and disappear quicker than they probably would have if there weren't so many tourneys, maybe.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't get the concern, since the majority of the other Polls are ones that we've seen time and time and time again.
How many DVDs do you own?
How many Criterion DVDs do you own?
What did you watch this weekend?
What's your personal Top 10?
I'm not knocking those types of questions, but let us consider for a moment that their decline in popularity may be due entirely to the fact that people are a little tired of answering the same questions over and over again.
Every single Tournament has "Tournament" in the thread title, so I think they are easy to avoid if you want to avoid them.
When I see a Poll question that I don't really feel like answering, I just ignore it. Why can't those who don't like the tournaments just do the same?
:)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
In fact, there's an overlooked post in this section now, dedicated to making lists of the hundred greatest films ever. The poor fella who posted it first put it in "Movies," and I transferred it to here, where it's languishing. I hope someone participates and makes that into a thread.
I'll be posting in there soon...but that is one dauting task, choosing 100 films. Hell, I still have another 30 or so to go! :)

Ike

Screenwriter
These tournaments are hard work, believe it or not, but they are mighty fun. Why not run one yourself? After my current one runs up, I'm starting a new one. They're fun to do, and you get to see people's opinons. Normal polls are boring. After about 30 replies, it's not interesting anymore, because you've heard every response.

(Why have I overlooked Rain's cinematography tournaments? They seem to be legend. Popping over there right now.)

DanaA

Screenwriter
All I have to say is that I wouldn't be watching 100 Girls tonight if not for the polls. I think I first heard of it when Matthew Chmiel compared it to Ghost World (One of my favorites for the year) in the Obscure Films tourney. I will tell everyone that I can't wait to see it tonight - well maybe tomorrow in that I just bought the 2001 DVD.

As an aside to Ike: I hope it's a music related one again. A little variety is nice in the tourneys.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Why have I overlooked Rain's cinematography tournaments?
Well, I hope you will stop by. In fact, I'll be putting up a new Bracket in about a half an hour.
You are quite right that doing these tourneys can be quite a bit of effort, but I think it's worth it. :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I am particularly enjoying Rain's Cinematography Tournament, Part 2!

I am always very aware of the cinematography in a movie as I watch it. I want to see as many movies with great cinematography as possible. I have added several movies from Rain's Cinematography tournament to my Queue list on Netflix for rent!

I enjoy tournaments. I find it interesting to see other peoples opinions regarding one movie vs another, the movie with the better cinematography, etc.

Keep em up guys! It does look like hard work!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks