Who's tired of tournaments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Russell, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

Title says it all, does every other thread need to be a tournament?

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Yep. There hardly seems to be anything else in "Polls" anymore. Lame.

3. Ben Motley

Hey, here'a an idea Mods, how about we make a new forum just for tournaments?

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I was really looking forward to a poll about this.

My guess is .. these ARE polls, they are just asking between a few.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Um, uh......ahem, well, you guys do have a point. There are a lot of tourneys! However, with the exception of Rain's Cinematography tournaments (and perhaps a few other threads that I don't remember), the Polls Area has never been a bastion of intellectual discourse. Also, it's not like the tournaments are precluding the posting of other topics, so what's the beef? And do you really think we need any more forums? [​IMG] Just my couple of pennies...

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think that there are way too many tourneys right now.

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I personally love the touneys. I also get something out of them by discovering films that I might have previously overlooked. There's nothing stopping others from posting alternate poll type questions, but why try to stop the tournaments for those of us who enjoy them? Their popularity speaks for themselves. I've even been thinking of starting one myself - on Westerns - if nobody else does this area of cinema by summer and if it hasn't been covered before.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I wanted to add that I do see the point you are making though. Some of the tourneys are just not as consequential as others. But, if people enjoy them, I say let it be. Maybe a separate tourney section wouldn't be a bad idea.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

What's the big deal? Originally, way back when, I started this tournament biz, and I did one that was in the movies section. My idea was to stimulate discussion. A mod (don't remember which one) moved it to polls. I protested, but that was that, and being here in polls, they don't generate as much discussion as they might elsewhere.

I'll admit of late, a lot of people are doing em, and I don't participate in a lot of them. But why does their mere existence bug you? No one forces anyone to participate in any thread or forum. I don't have any interest in after hours, and I just don't go there.

These things ebb and wane. This is the third 'wave' of these tournaments, and I'm sure eventually they'll die out again. As long as there is interest, they'll stay active, and if you don't like them, there's a real simple solution - don't play.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

11. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Maybe we can have a tournament to choose the best tournament? [​IMG] Just kidding, but there do seem to be a huge number of tournaments going on right now.

12. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I guess someone always has to complain about something. I don't see the problem myself. The HTF has already been broken up into so many sections that one can easily spend hours on this forum a day and never even see a tournament thread if they don't like them.

13. Ben Motley

The problem, and I do agree it's a rather minor one, but still, it's the main point of the gripe, is that the tournaments generate constant posts, constant bumps, if you will, whereas the actual polls do not, and quickly lose steam even further due to the high visability of the tournaments. My beef? I personally couldn't care less for the tournaments, but AM interested in polls, and it is a pain in the ass to wade through countless tournaments having to squint to find an actual poll that might be of interest. But, I can see that I and Steve are probably in the minority here, and will be further ridiculed into submission. [​IMG] Everybody, enjoy the tournaments! (But know there is a stirring undercurrent of dissenting forces among you, heh heh heh....) [​IMG]

14. Rain

Rain Producer

[​IMG]
    If you don't like them, feel free to ignore them.

15. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

ummmm, if you don't want to participate in a poll, don't read the threads [​IMG] I've actually benefited from them as I've added a few films to my list of must sees... thanks Rain [​IMG]

16. Rain

Rain Producer

17. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

18. Rain

Rain Producer

Actually, Kurt, the same thing has happened to me just by running a few tourneys. It was because of them, I was encouraged to see The Last Picture Show and Seconds, just to name a couple.
    Hmmm...looks like they might serve a purpose after all. [​IMG]

19. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

To each his own I guess.
    I'm sure the Tourneys will die out some day so you can go back to the endless DD vs. DTS or the ever popular How many DVD's do you own? POLLS.
    [​IMG]