What's new

Who's tired of tournaments? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was really looking forward to a poll about this.

My guess is .. these ARE polls, they are just asking between a few.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Um, uh......ahem, well, you guys do have a point. There are a lot of tourneys! However, with the exception of Rain's Cinematography tournaments (and perhaps a few other threads that I don't remember), the Polls Area has never been a bastion of intellectual discourse. Also, it's not like the tournaments are precluding the posting of other topics, so what's the beef? And do you really think we need any more forums? :) Just my couple of pennies...

DanaA

Screenwriter
I personally love the touneys. I also get something out of them by discovering films that I might have previously overlooked. There's nothing stopping others from posting alternate poll type questions, but why try to stop the tournaments for those of us who enjoy them? Their popularity speaks for themselves. I've even been thinking of starting one myself - on Westerns - if nobody else does this area of cinema by summer and if it hasn't been covered before.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I wanted to add that I do see the point you are making though. Some of the tourneys are just not as consequential as others. But, if people enjoy them, I say let it be. Maybe a separate tourney section wouldn't be a bad idea.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What's the big deal? Originally, way back when, I started this tournament biz, and I did one that was in the movies section. My idea was to stimulate discussion. A mod (don't remember which one) moved it to polls. I protested, but that was that, and being here in polls, they don't generate as much discussion as they might elsewhere.

I'll admit of late, a lot of people are doing em, and I don't participate in a lot of them. But why does their mere existence bug you? No one forces anyone to participate in any thread or forum. I don't have any interest in after hours, and I just don't go there.

These things ebb and wane. This is the third 'wave' of these tournaments, and I'm sure eventually they'll die out again. As long as there is interest, they'll stay active, and if you don't like them, there's a real simple solution - don't play.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Maybe we can have a tournament to choose the best tournament? ;) Just kidding, but there do seem to be a huge number of tournaments going on right now.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I guess someone always has to complain about something. I don't see the problem myself. The HTF has already been broken up into so many sections that one can easily spend hours on this forum a day and never even see a tournament thread if they don't like them.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
The problem, and I do agree it's a rather minor one, but still, it's the main point of the gripe, is that the tournaments generate constant posts, constant bumps, if you will, whereas the actual polls do not, and quickly lose steam even further due to the high visability of the tournaments. My beef? I personally couldn't care less for the tournaments, but AM interested in polls, and it is a pain in the ass to wade through countless tournaments having to squint to find an actual poll that might be of interest. But, I can see that I and Steve are probably in the minority here, and will be further ridiculed into submission. :) Everybody, enjoy the tournaments! (But know there is a stirring undercurrent of dissenting forces among you, heh heh heh....) ;)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
:rolleyes
If you don't like them, feel free to ignore them.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
ummmm, if you don't want to participate in a poll, don't read the threads :) I've actually benefited from them as I've added a few films to my list of must sees... thanks Rain :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've actually benefited from them as I've added a few films to my list of must sees...
Have I recommended Children of Paradise in the last 5 minutes? :D
I think part of this is that the people criticising have not taken the time to even look at the threads in question.
I can't speak for all of them, but in the Cinematography tourney, there has been some extremely interesting and insightful discussion.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Actually, Kurt, the same thing has happened to me just by running a few tourneys. It was because of them, I was encouraged to see The Last Picture Show and Seconds, just to name a couple.
Hmmm...looks like they might serve a purpose after all. :D

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
To each his own I guess.
I'm sure the Tourneys will die out some day so you can go back to the endless DD vs. DTS or the ever popular How many DVD's do you own? POLLS.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks