What's new

Who would you rather......... (1 Viewer)

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
just kidding, actually wondering about the advantage to buying a xbox 360 with HDDVD add on over a A2. any features or performance advantages of one over the other????

dont do a lot of gaming but now and then sitting down with a good racing game wouldnt suck.

i have a ps2 and happy with that for gaming(as little as i do) and it has been a rock for me, surviving a fall off the 50"RPTV a coupleof years ago, and considering i bought it on ps2's release day way back when i would say i got my money out of it

but back to the topic at hand, which would you prefer???

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well, you can get the A2 cheaper than the 360 combo, so that would be one advantage. But, the gaming option may make up for that. The 360 combo currently has some audio problems which are supposed to be fixed in March with an update. If you have a receiver that does HDMI, you can get lossless audio from the A2. Currently, no chance at all for ever getting lossless on the 360 but for quite some time now a new 360 with HDMI has been rumored and then debunked, then rumored and denied. Who knows if that will ever materialize or not.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
thanks neal, i do i fact have a receiver with HDMI and one of the reason i bought it was for that(another reason was it had multiple HDMI inputs)

wasnt sure if the 360 had HDMI and could find out too easily after a quick search

thanks again!!

JulesH

Auditioning
Real Name
JulesH
The A2 has better audio, and it will upconvert your standard dvd's. IT sounds like the choice for you.

The 360 add on will only upconvert over vga. If you have vga in your set, great. If you also want a nice gaming machine, definitely get the 360. Another little plus is that it also has a marketplace where you can download films in HD and tv shows for a nominal fee (you can't keep the movies forever, but I think the shows you can keep on your HD). 360 also does it's own updates, so you won't have to upgrade your firmware ever. It can be used as a media extender, which something I use it for. I stream from my home computer to the 360 for play over my TV and my receiver. I use a program called transcode 360 to help me do this.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
well the deal fell thru on the player....twice. i ended up sending a paypal payment and got a refund minus the paypal fee because the player was not working properly, that was fine, then i got an email stating it was working just a bad cable issue, so i sent the money again, four days later i got the refund again minus the paypal fee again stating it was still having issues. never had a problem buying off this forum before, now starting to wonder......

someone restore my faith and sell me a functional HD DVD player for a good price!!!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Sorry to hear about your problems Wally. I would say 99% of the transactions on this forum probably go thru without a hitch. Most of the members here are very respectable.

So did you ever actually receive the player? Or were you told twice that it was having problems only after sending payment?

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
the member asked for payment and then refunded it when the unit did not function 100%, then the problem was sorted out and payment was requested again, again i was told the unit was not functioning as it was suppose to and refunded the money. all in all just a frustrating transaction, not necessary the members fault, just frustrating

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Wally,

I refunded the remaing $14 you lost. i understand your frustration. I got the player working but just don't want to chance selling a HT forum member a player that may or may not have issues. I hope you find one soon.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
thanks, you seem to be a great trader and like i have said before i dont blame you, you could not control the condition of a player that you bought yourself used. but you were decent enough to let me know what was going on and that is why i continue to frequent this forum, for the honest helpful people

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
mustangwally - there are some great deals to be had on eBay if you're still looking to purchase an HD-A2. I just got one, brand new, for $350 (including shipping). Hopefully it will ship today.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally

thanks, i have been looking on eBay for a while now, but i hate paying duty and taxes on stuff, so i prefer to buy off individuals, most Ebayers are selling for a living and always ship the items as a purchase not a 'gift'

i pay enough taxes dont think i should have to pay more!!:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks