What's new

Who holds the record for greatest OTA DTV distance? (1 Viewer)

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, how far away can you get DTV from?
What antenna are you using to achieve this and where is it (roof, attic, etc.)?
Roger

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
Probably no record, but I am pulling in from about 45 miles away with a 121" combo UHF/VHF Rat Shack 'Boom' in the attic. Signal strength 78-100% on 6 digital stations originating from Portland, OR.

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Darrell, that's pretty good. I might need to put one of those type antenna in my attic to replace the Terk TV50 I have in there now, just don't know yet.
My DST3000 HDTV STB shipped from onecall today, I will have it tomorrow (before you ask if I'm sure, I have a Fedex tracking number), so I'll know pretty soon if I can get any OTA DTV stations (I'm further away than you though).
Roger

Paul W

Second Unit
I'm only 30 miles away from the Transmitters in Dallas, but I get a clear picture with a $5 UHF loop antenna.
Does that count for something?
;-)
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
I have a wonderful proof of this theorem but, with the 1536 kb/s bitrate DTS soundtrack, there is no room on the DVD to write it.
-Fermat

Les Holt

Agent
I consistently get good analog UHF reception from 175 miles away (Fresno stations in the East Bay Area of SF). These Fresno stations are not broadcasting HD yet, but based on my experience with HD versus analog signals, there should be no problem getting these 175 mile signals on HD. In fact, there's less multipath on these distant stations than on my locals, so HD should be easier.
Les

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Les, with what type antenna and mounted where?
I need to have mine in my attic (currently have Terk TV50 there).
Roger

Les Holt

Agent
Roger,
I have two antennas, and both work at the 175 mile distance.
One antenna is a Channel Master 1162 Quantum with preamp at 50 feet.
The other is a Channel Master 8 bay bowtie at 30 feet with CM 7777 preamp.
The transmitters are on the Sierra mountain range, up over 2000'. There are mountains between me and the transmitters.
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks