What's new

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" announced (1 Viewer)

Steve_Com

Grip
Here is the official Press-Release:

VISTA SERIES Two-Disc DVD Set with Newly Restored With Digital Sound, Available March 25

A milestone of film innovation and the recipient of four Academy Awards®,* the live-action/animated film WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT gets the lavish treatment it deserves with a deluxe VISTA Series 2-disc DVD set (in both widescreen and full frame formats) and an Exclusive Video Bonus Edition, from Touchstone Home Entertainment o_n March 25, 2003. Suggested retail price: $29.99 DVD; $19.99 VHS.

The VISTA edition of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT has been designed to present this groundbreaking film in the most complete edition possible, with something for every viewer. Created in concert with the filmmakers, the VISTA DVD of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT is presented in 5.1 Dolby® Digital Surround Sound with the most pristine digital presentation of the film available. The DVD includes loads of bonus features that go behind the scenes and provides a new look at the movie that broke the rules of live action and animated films.

Additional information o_n the VISTA DVD edition of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT follows.

The VISTA DVD of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT includes:

DISC ONE: FAMILY FRIENDLY
Full-frame version of the film
Three Roger Rabbit Shorts
"Tummy Trouble"
"Roller Coaster Rabbit"
"Trail Mix-Up"
"Who Made Roger Rabbit" - A family friendly feature that looks at the making of the film
Set-top game: "Trouble In Toontown"

DISC TWO: FOR THE ENTHUSIAST
Widescreen version of the film
Audio commentary with director Robert Zemeckis and fellow filmmakers
Deleted scene - "The Pig Head Sequence"
"Behind The Ears" - an in-depth look at the making of the film
"Toontown Confidential" - pop-up style trivia
Set top gallery - "The Valiant Files"
"On Set!" - cinema verite look at the making of a scene from the film
"Before and After" - featurette look at a scene with and without animation
Toon stand-ins - how to rehearse a scene for Toons
The exclusive video bonus edition VHS of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT will include the Roger Rabbit short "Tummy Trouble."

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT is truly a unique, landmark film. A zany comedy that crosses from Hollywood to Toontown and back, the film's fast-paced story is told through a breathtaking mix of live-action and animated film action. Directed by Robert Zemeckis ("Cast Away," "Forrest Gump"), WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT's all-star cast includes Bob Hoskins ("Last Orders"), Christopher Lloyd ("Hey Arnold! The Movie," TV's "Taxi"), Joanna Cassidy (TV's "Six Feet Under") and more. Legendary vocal actors Mel Blanc and June Foray, who have given voice to countless cartoon characters, lend their talents to the film. The animated cast includes a veritable who's who of famous "toons," including many classic characters from the Walt Disney Studios and Warner Brothers Studios.

The VISTA DVD series (Vision, Imagination, Style, Theme, Artistry) is a partnership with filmmakers that presents the definitive version of the filmmakers' cinematic vision, with premium picture and sound enhancements, and in-depth supplemental bonus programming derived from collaboration with the filmmakers.

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT benefits from a wide range of star filmmaking talent. The movie is executive produced by Steven Spielberg ("Minority Report") and Kathleen Kennedy ("Signs"); produced by Frank Marshall ("The Bourne Identity") and Robert Watts ("On Deadly Ground"); and associate produced by Don Hahn (Disney's "The Lion King") and Steve Starkey ("Cast Away").

Street Date: March 25, 2003Direct Prebook: January 28, 2003 Distributor Prebook: February 11, 2003Rated: "PG."

Bonus features unrated and subject to change.

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1 formatted for 16x9 screensFullscreen 1.33:1Sound: DTS Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround SoundTHX CertifiedFrench Language TrackSpanish Language TrackFeature Run Time: Approximately 104 minutes Suggested Retail Price: DVD $29.99; VHS $19.99

In WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT, gumshoe detective Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) is o_n the job in both Hollywood and Toontown, and the line between reality and fantasy gets blurred as Eddie tries to solve a major "who dunnit." He's thrown for quite a set of curves when he meets Jessica Rabbit, the sultry "toon" who whispers "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." When Eddie gets mixed up with the fast-talking "toon" Roger Rabbit (Charles Fleischer, TV's "House of Mouse") he finds himself crossing paths with such characters as the hilarious Baby Herman (Lou Hirsch, "Tom & Viv"), Benny the Cab, the sinister Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd) and more, in a wacky adventure of a lifetime.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm sure the video quality will be fine but it sucks that they crammed all the extras onto the widescreen disc.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If the extras are large on Disc 2, we could have another 'Beauty and the Beast' situation here. It would be a shame if the feature were overcompressed.

As far as the shorts go, they are 1.85:1 OAR and presented on the (recalled) laserdisc between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1.

They later appeared in pan-and-scan on a Japanese laserdisc with parts of a few frames digitally blurred to hide the 'naughtier' stuff. I won't be surprised if the shorts are pan-and-scan (and censored) on the DVD.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
That's the cover for the current release of Roger Rabbit, that's why.
IMHO, the Vista cover looks pretty sweet. Hoping Ed Wood looks as good...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to bet that it will not be completely uncensored (i.e., will be missing a few select frames here and there).

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
How come the disc cover I have looks different??
Aaryn, the reason it looks different is because that's the cover for the original DVD version, released way back on 09/28/1999.

Although this DVD release is still available, it features an edited version of the film. A trailer was the only extra.

My recommendations for this original version: avoid at all costs and wait for the upcoming Vista Series DVD.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've always loved Roger Rabbit. I remember seeing it on opening day way back when. I'll definitely add this to my "To Buy" list.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The past releases have been censored, so I'll bet that this one will be as well.

-Dave

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I hope you're right. But isn't this still a Disney disc? They took the uncut version on the laser disc and removed the finger up the dress at the beginning, and Jessica's crotch shots later on for the current dvd release. I hope they put them back in for the upcoming dvd, but I'll remain pessimistic until I see some evidence to that effect. Thank God for laser disc. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was just about to break down and buy this one after seeing a P&S (POS?) version on TV. Now I can hardly wait for March!

Brenton

Screenwriter
[sarcasm]If I can't clearly see Jessica Rabbit's crotch when I freeze-frame the disc, I will not be happy, and I will DEMAND my money back![/sarcasm]

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I have to wonder if people will consider this release censored if the only change to the original is the covering of something inappropriate drawn by a rogue animator in one or two frames.

If the only changes are in the area of removing what was never supposed to be there in the first place, then I would not consider it a censored release. Granted, it would not be that extreme "purist" version of the movie, but I don't think it would cross into cencorship either.

If it is along the lines of the change made to the early Baby Herman scene, then I would consider that censorship, and that would definitely be a factor in my decision to purchase or not.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I'll just chime in and say I don't give a sh*t one way or another. :D Seriously, this looks like a great set.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great news, I love this film, saw it at the cinema when it first came out, I was just sitting there with a stupid grin all the way thru, no I wasn't high, just high on the film, it's all deliriously enjoyable for classic cartoon-nuts like me.

Prrrrrrrrrease let it be uncut, at least the Baby Herman's finger up the ladies dress bit, which you don't have to freeze frame to see.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Looks great...but I'll only get it uncut.

Why does it matter? Well, does it matter that nearly 30 seconds of Fantasia look like CRAP due to the image being blown up to IMAX proportions and then cropped? To the true movie fan, YES! To those who buy DVDs for their speakers and screens to be shown off, probably not.

Roger Rabbit AND all films must be shown uncut to be savored properly. What does a few frames change? One version is a movie...the other is NOTHING.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
But the fact of the matter is it was there in the first place.
thats true and i agree and hope it is completely intact as first shown in theaters, but.
sometimes even though it was there in the first place it doesn't mean it should still be there after.
example is the 2 frames in the RESCUERS that had a naked woman in them. sure no one would have known if disney didnt tell us but with the freeze frame technology we have now it is easy to see and find these images.
i don't think that those images are a big deal but do they really still need to be there?
rescuers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks