What's new

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" announced (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I want it NOW! This is absolutely one of my favorite films of all time :D
DTS? Commentary? The Original shorts :eek: :eek: :) :)
By the way, does anybody have a bigger picture of the coverart? DVDempire's is a little small.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Disc Two: "Enthusiast":
Audio Commentary with The Filmmakers
[rant]Deleted Scene[/rant]
"Behind The Ears: The True Story Of Roger Rabbit"
Toontown Confidential: Pop-Up-Style Trivia
The Valiant Files: Interactive Set-Top Gallery
Split-Screen Comparison
deleted scene?

i guess that is the one with the pig head on bob hoskin's.
but what about all the *ahem* censoring that was done with all the different releases.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I'm assuming disc one, labeled 'Family Friendly' will have the PS version, and disc two, 'Enthusiast' will have the WS version. I like it like that... separate discs.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
By the looks of the names and the fact it says commantary on disc 2, I think it going to be like Shrek, with a pan and scam verison on the first disc and a widescreen on the second disc. With probably the first disc having the normal verison, and the second uncut and other restored bits.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Well, only 159 more days!

Those labels for "Family Friendly" and "Enthusiast" really get my hopes up for an uncut widescreen version and a cut full screen version.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
That's great that it will have all the shorts.
I bet it will be the same commentary as on the LD which is quite good, but not great. I wouldn't get too excited about DTS. The DD5.1 track on the LD sounds the same or worse than the PCM track, so unless they do some sort of crazy new re-mix from the 4-channel master it'll be pretty ho-hum.
It's about time this title was treated with some respect though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
This is from todays Variety.com site:

Disney's Touchstone Home Entertainment is prepping the closest thing there may ever be to a follow-up of the unprecedented and since unmatched collaboration of Disney, Warners, Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, Don Hahn and a who's who of cartoon voice talent in its March 25 release of the double-disc 15th anniversary Vista Series edition of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."
The release will feature rare new animation of Roger and other animated characters from the groundbreaking combination of live-action and original cartoon characters and legendary animated stars from every studio.

Like the movie itself, the DVD is bringing together an eclectic mix of DVD producers from various camps, including Spielberg's longtime DVD producer Laurent Bouzereau, who is producing the disc with Mark Herzog, and Disney's longtime menu designer John Ross of Gork Enterprises under Disney's executive producing team led by David Jessen.

Ross recently spent a day shooting footage for the menus at the same historic Ren-Mar Studios in Hollywood where scenes of the fictional Maroon Studios from the movie were shot. The footage will be used to create animated menus of toon character Benny the Cab (voiced by Charles Fleischer) driving DVD users around the studio to various program selections while offering his trademark wisecracks.

Frank Marshall, one of the original producers, said Fleischer also voices a newly animated version of Roger in a 15-minute featurette called "Who Made Roger Rabbit," in which Roger goes in and out of existing scenes through the use of blue screen.

Marshall, who also directed parts of the three Roger Rabbit theatrical cartoon shorts that were produced in subsequent years and will be included on the DVD, said the movie was so much work that if the filmmakers knew in advance how hard it turned out to be, they might never have made it. That's why he says there are no plans to do a sequel or a prequel, or even produce new Roger Rabbit animated shorts.

"I think the movie sort of stands on its own," he said. "I think it's kind of like 'E.T.' for all of us; everybody came together at the right point of their careers."

Also included on the special edition will be an audio commentary track by the filmmakers that was recorded for a previous laserdisc edition.

Other extras include two scenes from an "Invisible Man" movie where actors were filmed doing their scenes with rubber dolls being held and carried around by people approximating where the toon characters would be drawn in later.

Date in print: Thurs., Oct. 17, 2002, Los Angeles

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Great stuff, very pleased. I'd just like to know if it's going to be the same altered cut the initial DVD release was stuck with.

Dan

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...theatrical shorts are on the "Family Friendly" disc. So does this mean that the shorts will be shown in Fullscreen? Anybody know the OAR for the shorts?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over this release. I've never owned Roger Rabbit on any format, but when I was a little younger I used to watch it all the time. It seems so far away though :)
The image on DVD Empire is a little small, is that a Vista Series banner?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I'm assuming that they are releasing this with a new 16x9 transfer? I didn't see anything on DVD Empire or in that article above about it.

-Dean-

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
This is fantastic news. I'm definatley going to be buying this on release date. I'm glad I was able to hold off buying the current disc for so long.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Yay!!!
With this great news, I feel I must now share this drawing I made some years ago in Adobe Photoshop...

And yes, I actually drew it and yes, it was difficult to draw.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Surprised that there was no mention of Jessica Rabbit up to this point. All I can say is about time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks