What's new

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" announced (1 Viewer)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Thanks for the link to the larger box shot, JustinR. Just for convenience, I have placed that image below.
Courtesy of JustinR and DVDPlanet....
Link Removed

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
sometimes even though it was there in the first place it doesn't mean it should still be there after.
example is the 2 frames in the RESCUERS that had a naked woman in them. sure no one would have known if disney didnt tell us but with the freeze frame technology we have now it is easy to see and find these images.
On a DVD, can't they just lock out the Pause and Slow Motion buttons during these scenes?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jeff, just asking:

Would it be easier for Buena Vista to simply remove
the frames that the produers/directors of the films
never wanted there in the first place, or would it be
easier to figure out a way to author a dvd that doesn't
allow pausing and slow motion?

Mark

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I'll accept it as long as it has all of the scenes intended by Zemeckis. That is, the finger scene must be there, but I won't be demanding to have the crotch shot or Betty Boop's boobs. ;)

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm willing to bet that it will not be completely uncensored (i.e., will be missing a few select frames here and there).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll disagree with you on that Robert Zemeckis from what I gather doesn't change his films.Let's hope so anyhow.
From what I've heard, he let that happen with the last release (or probably just couldn't prevent it), and what's worse, they didn't even DECLARE that it was censored. Personally, I saw it in the theatre when it came out and I find the very idea of censoring that film ludicrous. Then again, I'm not American, so I probably couldn't understand. :frowning:
I love this film, but if there is going to be any censorship, I'm afraid I just won't be buying it.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Would it be easier for Buena Vista to simply remove
the frames that the produers/directors of the films
never wanted there in the first place, or would it be
easier to figure out a way to author a dvd that doesn't
allow pausing and slow motion?
I don't know which is easier. I was just asking if it was even possible to disable those buttons during the scenes.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jussi-
That is my contention as well. While the naked woman
in The Rescuers was, best case scenario,
an "in joke" between a few animators, and not part of
the producers/directors "vision" for the film,
then there is no reason to call it censorship.
HOWEVER, the images of Baby Herman with his
"naughty finger," from all appearances,
was part of the original film and it should be
included in the film. It was there, we all saw it,
and it could NOT have escaped the notice of anyone
producing the film (unlike those 1-2 frame "hidden" shots).
I would hope with Roy Disney being so open about his
"oh rubbish" attitude towards the censoring in
some previous Buena Vista releases
(I recall reading that he thought the removal of
Goofy smoking from Saludos Amigos
was a case of execs being a bit goofy themselves.),
then maybe we can hope to see the "Enthusiasts' cut"
of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as just that:
one that contains the film in its
original, director approved, version.
Jeff-
I thought you were asking a rhetorical question.
No, I seriously doubt it is easier to author
the DVD to prevent pausing/slow motion,
than it is just to go in a remove the images that
were never meant to be there in the first place.
(I can already imagine the "glich thread" for such
an DVD authoring attempt.)
:)
Mark

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm sorry, but did Robert Zemeckis ever say that the one (maybe two) offending frame(s) of Baby Herman's finger extended and his eye popping was specifically called for by him? As far as I know that was the only change to that scene since Baby Herman still walks under the girl's skirt and flips it up. It just seems that frame is just like the pantyless Jessica - an animator's in joke.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Another Roger Rabbit DVD. I might just buy this new Roger Rabbit DVD but only if the movie is uncut. I didn't buy the original Roger Rabbit DVD because of the censorship which was done to the movie (for example, the baby Herman scene).

Disney,
you need to release your movies on DVD in their original uncut format.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've posted advance DVD info before that I've gleaned from my job, and if you look back you'll find it's always been accurate...
So trust me when I say I've seen the new masters, and I can confirm that -- unless something is changed between now and release -- surprise, surprise, both the full frame and widescreen will have the unaltered finger up the dress shot! And, yes, the widescreen is 16x9.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That would be sweet, but I suspect they will be.
I'd hope so, but I think it could go either way.

The shorts are on the 'full frame' disc. There is no second copy on the 'OAR' disc.

The last video release of Trail Mix (Japan LD) was cropped (and censored), even though the previous american LD was uncropped and uncensored.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Brian W, can you tell us if the Trail Mix-Up still has the 'Rigid Tools' poster in the sawmill scene?
I'm sorry, I haven't seen the shorts, so I couldn't tell you. Understand, the DVD hasn't even been authored yet. What I saw portions of were the source tapes.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I hope the shorts are anamorphic and OAR.
I hope the widescreen movie itself is anamorphic. Nowhere have I read in any of the threads or on any of the DVD websites that the movie will be "anamorphic" or "Enhanced for widescreen TV's". Just a fluke omission?:rolleyes
Paul

Felicia J

Agent
'm assuming disc one, labeled 'Family Friendly' will have the PS version, and disc two, 'Enthusiast' will have the WS version. I like it like that... separate discs.
I STILL object to PS being labeled "family friendly." It's family friendly that you don't get to see the whole picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks