What's new

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" Blu-ray Announced (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just popped in the new "Adventures in Babysitting" Blu-ray and saw that it opens with a promo for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" on Blu-ray. The ad lists it as a "25th Anniversary Edition" - don't know if that means that Disney will make us wait until 2013 for it. Studios can be loosey-goosey with the timing of "Anniversary Editions", so I'm hopeful it'll actually be out in 2012 - or early 2013, at worst.

Anyway, I hadn't seen any mention of this elsewhere, so I thought I'd start the thread!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/322532/who-framed-roger-rabbit-blu-ray-announced#post_3953141
On a More Important note .. how does Adventures in Babysitting look?

Very good, IMO. Cleaned up but without signs of digital interference, IMO. It's not gonna be anyone's reference Blu-ray, but it looks like a movie from 1987 should look, methinks.

No extras, though - kinda lame they're selling it as a "25th Anniversary Edition" but couldn't even bother to include the trailer...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ethan Riley said:
[W]hen Benny the Cab wrecks at night and Eddie and Jessica roll out, there are two separate frames (2170-2172 on side 4 of the CAV laserdisc version), within two seconds of each other, showing a blurry shot of what seems to be her with no underwear. Disney recalled the laserdisc and issued another disc, later claiming that it was an incorrectly painted cell. Disney also stated that the cell in question could be seen on the new disc and on the VHS version. Two DVD versions edit the scene where Jessica Rabbit rolls out of the cab after Benny the Cab crashes. The 1999 DVD version, which was based off a later laserdisc release, reanimated the scene so that Jessica is wearing white panties underneath her dress. When the DVD set was reissued in 2002, the scene was reanimated so that a piece of Jessica's skirt strategically covers Jessica as she rolls down the hill.

A brief scene consisting of the toon Baby Herman passing by a female (human) extra on the set of the opening cartoon and sticking his middle finger up her dress, and then coming back from under the dress with a drool of spit on his lip. This was edited out of the DVD editions of the movie, though it can be found on editions of the VHS and laserdisc issues.
Personally speaking, I feel these are pretty inconsequential, especially the first one.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Roger Rabbit has been in promo trailers on several of the Disney Blu-rays I've reviewed over the past two months. I'd have to check the reviews to see which ones, but this wasn't its first appearance. Anyway, so glad it's coming. Really love the movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/322532/who-framed-roger-rabbit-blu-ray-announced#post_3953335
Roger Rabbit has been in promo trailers on several of the Disney Blu-rays I've reviewed over the past two months. I'd have to check the reviews to see which ones, but this wasn't its first appearance. Anyway, so glad it's coming. Really love the movie.

Really? I don't recall seeing it - at least not on its own. Was it in a montage trailer? I list individual trailers in my reviews but don't pay attention to what they show in the "here's a whole bunch of Blu-rays!!!" trailers...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
Personally speaking, I feel these are pretty inconsequential, especially the first one.
The first part will never likely be be brought back, since it essentially censors "nudity" that isn't even noticeable without freeze-framing
But the second edit listed should be brought back for the blu-ray--it's actual missing footage that was only cut relatively recently.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Apparently, Betty Boop had a frame or two where she was topless. That was removed from home video, as well.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
That's why for those that still have your LDs of The Rescuers (2 scenes added in before going to VHS/DVD) , Roger Rabbit (tons of scenes), Star Wars-The Phantom Menace (Jap issue)...you have the originals which not many people will ever see. I sold mine a fews years ago, so I lost out.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The scenes involving brief nudity would not have been the intention of the film makers. This seems like a prank by the animators. This "censorship" is restoring their original intent, IMHO.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson /t/322532/who-framed-roger-rabbit-blu-ray-announced#post_3953371

Really? I don't recall seeing it - at least not on its own. Was it in a montage trailer? I list individual trailers in my reviews but don't pay attention to what they show in the "here's a whole bunch of Blu-rays!!!" trailers...

The first review I pulled up to check from the most recent Touchstone batch - Step Up - had it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/322532/who-framed-roger-rabbit-blu-ray-announced#post_3953489

The first review I pulled up to check from the most recent Touchstone batch - Step Up - had it.

Ah - I didn't review any of those, so that's why I missed it!

I guess my news wasn't as "breaking" as I thought!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm wondering if the title of this thread should be changed. From what I'm reading, all that has been seen is some Coming Attractions. To my knowledge, this title hasn't been 'announced' yet. It could be months (or even years) until this is truly 'announced'.
While I expect this to be released at some point, I'm not getting excited until there is a formal announcement.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks