What's new

Who are DVD's made for anyway? Fight Back! (1 Viewer)

Steve Schick

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is a repeat of what I wrote in another thread, but I thought it should have it's own thread.
A few quote taken from another thread:
I dunno.... do you really think terrorizing the poor store employees will make a difference? Most of these people make minimum wage, and don't have the luxury of caring about such things. Maybe it would be more effective to fight the source of the problem: bombard Wal-Mart's corporate office with letters, refusing to do business with them unless they stock both P&S and widescreen titles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why not do this to Wal-Mart and all other locations that are an affront to our (OAR) cause?
Just think about this, where do they (Wal-Mart, et al) get there ideas that most consumers want the pan-n-scam? From their worker bees that get the complaints!
When the distributors or studios do their surveys about DVD sales, they get info from the sales location, who in turn get their info from the worker.
If I were JSP where would the first place I'd complain to?
I would not likely write a letter to corporate or store management.
NO, I'd go to the minimum wage electronics area lackey.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've had a few ideas on how to raise our collective voices against this common foe.
1. Go to Blockbuster and rent "the Mummy Returns", or any other movie that was released with both OAR and P-n-S and only carries P-n-S for rental. Rent the movie. Return the movie DEMANDING your money back or a free rental for subjecting you to this torment. If they refuse, cancel your membership on the spot.
2. Buy the Pan-n-Scam version of a movie from a JSP establishment and return it wanting a replacement with the OAR version, or if not available, your money back. Say that you picked up the wrong version that was mixed in with the version (OAR) you wanted.
3. Make a 1 page "OAR" fact sheet, copy it, and leave copies in the DVD section at your local JSP establishment (I'm talking like 20 copies, hide them behind DVD's, put a couple in plain sight). Put on the fact sheet info as to what they are missing, that they are missing part of the picture, even a picture comparing a widescreen shot with a P-n-S shot, showing what is missing.
Maybe it's time to show these people and companies who this format really is made for?
------------------
You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
My DVD Profiler Collection

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who works for a chain that did not get any widescreen "the Mummy Returns" dvd's, I'd have to say this wouldn't do much. You can whine at me all you want, and all I can do is be sympathetic, and maybe get my manager to give you a free rental. And the free rental will only work once. That's it. Corporate sends us what it wants, when it wants. We have no control. I'm just a minimum wage lackey that has absolutely no imput whatsoever. I've even chatted with my boss, and her boss, and even they have no say.
If I ran around cancelling my memberships because the chain didn't carry the widescreen version, I'd have nowhere in town to rent. Seriously. There are maybe 4 places in town to rent from, not including grocery stores, that aren't nearly so good so far as number of titles, or even dvd availability. There has to be another way to get the point across--Massive letter writing campaigns to the corporate offices--the real people who can effect change.
Robyn

Steve Schick

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I should add that this should be done in addition to a letter writing campaign to the corporations.
A 2 front offensive?
I keep forgetting that some companies/business don't listen to their employees for feedback. These are usually the ones that only look at the bottom line.
------------------
You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
My DVD Profiler Collection

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
3. Make a 1 page "OAR" fact sheet, copy it, and leave copies in the DVD section at your local JSP establishment (I'm talking like 20 copies, hide them behind DVD's, put a couple in plain sight). Put on the fact sheet info as to what they are missing, that they are missing part of the picture, even a picture comparing a widescreen shot with a P-n-S shot, showing what is missing.
Viva la Resistance!
icon14.gif

------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure the management would take too kindly to that. I mean, the cause is just, but what if anyone thought their cause was just and just started putting crap on the shelves like "This movie has too much sex, DON'T RENT! We need morals!" r somehting of that ilk. I'd say, instead, maybe ask if you could place a small stack of the flyers on the checkout counters or something along withthe rest of the typically local advertisements. In most stores where I go, there's always a collection of stuff as you leave (ads for bands, gigs, events at the store, etc..) maybe you could put them there.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My suggestion in the 9-page thread seems to me to be more workable and attention-getting. Just pick out a big stack of discs that the Ballbuster or Wallymart carry in P&S only. Take it to the checkout and ask for the widescreen versions of them. When they say they don't have any, ask to see the video dept. manager. Ask him for the widescreen version. When he says they don't carry it, tell them you're going to go buy them at Best Buy, or wherever local carries widescreen DVD. Then leave the big stack there on the counter so they have to put them back. Sooner or later, word will get to the buyers, and the buyers are the people we need to convert.
Managing Joe 6P through retail terror: the American Way
patriot.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks