What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

White Christmas 4K Possibility? (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This is a real bummer. I wasn't born yet to see it at Radio City. And the way I'm aging I won't live long enough to see it in 4k. My timing has always been bad.

Bouncer

Grip
Real Name
Tim
This is a real bummer. I wasn't born yet to see it at Radio City. And the way I'm aging I won't live long enough to see it in 4k. My timing has always been bad.
I feel the same, but maybe in the next life we will see it in 30K! Heck, we can just get all of the original actors to do a live show!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
2024 really seems like the most likely time that this movie will get released on 4K, in time for its 70th anniversary. I would be surprised to see it released any sooner, short of being licensed out. And as far as being licensed out goes, unless the Insider lied to me, Kino does NOT have it as part of their deal with Paramount. I asked about it and several other big titles (I thought) from the 50s on the other forum when the Insider revealed they have at least one film from that decade on 4K from the deal, and the Insider said that they didn't even ask for White Christmas, claiming they didn't think it (or most of the others I asked about) would do well enough on 4K (I believe they meant for Kino who only deals with the physical releases, whereas Paramount would likely have additional revenue through other sources like digital and streaming).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Listening to Sam's recent podcast with George Feltenstein gave me a deeper understanding of the difficulties and costs in bringing older classics to 4k. I now also expect White Christmas to be released around it's 70th anniversary in 2024, when it should make more of a splash!
The film has been played in theaters the last few holiday seasons so it still bringng in the moolah, sadly AMC has it every XMAS run it at the weirdest times.

postprod

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
The current Blu Ray versions of White Christmas and the version now seen on Netflix were created from a new HD video master made in 2012. In 2011, the original Vista Vision negative was used to create a new wet immersion 35mm Intermediate Positive which preserved the original VistaVision formatting. The IP was scanned to create 4K files for archive. The 4K files were down-converted to 2K with subsequent mastering out to HD using DaVinci tools. The transfer process was impressive for the time. Light dusting and imperfections were left in the HD master to retain the film look.

Bouncer

Grip
Real Name
Tim
The current Blu Ray versions of White Christmas and the version now seen on Netflix were created from a new HD video master made in 2012. In 2011, the original Vista Vision negative was used to create a new wet immersion 35mm Intermediate Positive which preserved the original VistaVision formatting. The IP was scanned to create 4K files for archive. The 4K files were down-converted to 2K with subsequent mastering out to HD using DaVinci tools. The transfer process was impressive for the time. Light dusting and imperfections were left in the HD master to retain the film look.
Thanks for the info.

It sounds like this work could be used as a basis for a 4K UHD release without an unreasonable additional investment?

If true, that would make it a bit more likely that we will see a 70th anniversary release in 2024. (fingers crossed).

postprod

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I think the question of whether the 2012 archived scans are used or not depends on the post production company that will be contracted to create the 4K UHD version. Scanner technology has vastly improved since 2012, at least from a software perspective. RAW scans are often tied to the software tools that are used for restoration purposes, which are often proprietary to the Post facility. The 2012 Bluray version has image stabilization but only during the opening credits. The vast majority of the Bluray is a conventional film to video transfer. A modern 4K UHD version would most likely be a complete restoration... and yes, given the canvas of the original Vista Vision film elements whether as IP or camera originals... should be jaw dropping!

Bouncer

Grip
Real Name
Tim
I think the question of whether the 2012 archived scans are used or not depends on the post production company that will be contracted to create the 4K UHD version. Scanner technology has vastly improved since 2012, at least from a software perspective. RAW scans are often tied to the software tools that are used for restoration purposes, which are often proprietary to the Post facility. The 2012 Bluray version has image stabilization but only during the opening credits. The vast majority of the Bluray is a conventional film to video transfer. A modern 4K UHD version would most likely be a complete restoration... and yes, given the canvas of the original Vista Vision film elements whether as IP or camera originals... should be jaw dropping!
Thank you again for sharing your insights.

"and yes, given the canvas of the original Vista Vision film elements whether as IP or camera originals... should be jaw dropping!"

Given the leap in the Blu-ray over the DVD, and the potential of the VistaVision elements, I can believe it would be jaw dropping. I may use it as a fig leaf to upgrade my 65" OLED to 77" given that my wife loves this film as well!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thank you again for sharing your insights.

"and yes, given the canvas of the original Vista Vision film elements whether as IP or camera originals... should be jaw dropping!"

Given the leap in the Blu-ray over the DVD, and the potential of the VistaVision elements, I can believe it would be jaw dropping. I may use it as a fig leaf to upgrade my 65" OLED to 77" given that my wife loves this film as well!
Another year gone too bad maybe next year

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The blu-ray is such an incredible improvement over previous versions it is hard to believe it could look better. I remember it looked just awful when I would see it on TV as a kid. When I first watched the blu-ray projected I was truly astonished at how gorgeous and colorful it is, I would not have believed it possible. I would happily buy a 4k if there is truly room for improvement.

Bouncer

Grip
Real Name
Tim
The blu-ray is such an incredible improvement over previous versions it is hard to believe it could look better. I remember it looked just awful when I would see it on TV as a kid. When I first watched the blu-ray projected I was truly astonished at how gorgeous and colorful it is, I would not have believed it possible. I would happily buy a 4k if there is truly room for improvement.
It is a major improvement, my wife noticed for one thing that Bing Crosby's eyes actually looked natural in the blu-ray release, amongst all the other significant improvements. Our renewed interest in this film was very much prompted by the 2012 restoration. She is not nearly as interested in the technical aspects of film as I am in general, but for some reason the BD release of White Christmas is a rare exception, so we can share that aspect.

If the 4K UHD/HDR release is given it's due, it will set an excellent standard for the entire format.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Just finished watching White Christmas this Christmas Eve as usual. While the blu ray has excellent image quality, there is a noticeable drop in PQ during the short scene in the field hospital between 10.45 and 11.04. This annoys me each time I watch this film and hopefully can be rectified on the expected 4k release (apologies if this has been pointed out before).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just finished watching White Christmas this Christmas Eve as usual. While the blu ray has excellent image quality, there is a noticeable drop in PQ during the short scene in the field hospital between 10.45 and 11.04. This annoys me each time I watch this film and hopefully can be rectified on the expected 4k release (apologies if this has been pointed out before).
Maybe part of the neg was replaced that entire always looked slightly less quality BUT Paramount shows that film real love!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks