What's new

White Christmas 4K Possibility? (1 Viewer)

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Just finished watching White Christmas this Christmas Eve as usual. While the blu ray has excellent image quality, there is a noticeable drop in PQ during the short scene in the field hospital between 10.45 and 11.04. This annoys me each time I watch this film and hopefully can be rectified on the expected 4k release (apologies if this has been pointed out before).
You’re correct that short segment is the weakest link in this newest scan, and it’s mainly only as noticeable as it is because the rest of the film looks so spectacular. I would imagine newer technology now available could address this anomaly. Being that this was the first VistaVision production, and that retailers continue to carry it every year around Christmas, demand for a 4K would likely be strong, and surely a candidate for a special Paramount Presents release edition.

Bouncer

Grip
Real Name
Tim
You’re correct that short segment is the weakest link in this newest scan, and it’s mainly only as noticeable as it is because the rest of the film looks so spectacular. I would imagine newer technology now available could address this anomaly. Being that this was the first VistaVision production, and that retailers continue to carry it every year around Christmas, demand for a 4K would likely be strong, and surely a candidate for a special Paramount Presents release edition.
I hope, and expect, that is the case.

My wife & I skipped it this year, a rare event, in hopes that it is released in 4K next year, though most likely it will be 2024.

Bouncer

Grip
Real Name
Tim
I'm going to theorize that the lack of rumor or noise around a 4K release of White Christmas means we will have to wait until next year, it's 70th anniversary.

I guess that was always baked in the cake...at least I hope it's next year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well….

December then?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Biggest film of '54 I believe. Though probably someone already said it. I find the second half really falls off a cliff. The trumped up misunderstanding between Clooney and Bing the awful Martha Graham take off and the whole cloyingly sentimental plot and ending seem too phony even for me. At least it has a great Clooney song number one of the best songs in the film. And for those into Chakiris a lot of good shots of him. He was also in Brigadoon that year which I didn't realize until I watched the bluray.

Last edited:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
And for those into Chakiris a lot of good shots of him. He was also in Brigadoon that year which I didn't realize until I watched the bluray.
Not to derail this thread, but do you know where he can can be seen in Brigadoon, or the part of the film where he's most easily spotted?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Biggest film of '54 I believe. Though probably someone already said it. I find the second half really falls off a cliff. The trumped up misunderstanding between Clooney and Bing the awful Martha Graham take off and the whole cloyingly sentimental plot and ending seem too phony even for me. At least it has a great Clooney song number one of the best songs in the film. And for those into Chakiris a lot of good shots of him. He was also in Brigadoon that year which I didn't realize until I watched the bluray.
He's also in There's No Business Like Show Business, also from 1954. The Martha Graham takeoff in "Choreography" does lead into a delicious Vera-Ellen tap sequence, so I could never discount the number if for that reason alone.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
does lead into a delicious Vera-Ellen tap sequence,
Yes it is good. But oy I dread those silly dancers. And I saw Appalachian Spring at City Center conducted by Copland and Graham made an appearance at the end for the curtain call. A great night.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Honestly, it's too early to have much (if any) news on this one. As best as I can tell, this film has consistently been released on home video in either October or November (at least, that's been the case for both Blu-ray and DVD). Assuming that trend holds, and given that the studios tend to announce their releases about 2 or 3 months ahead of time, we really won't have any news until about July at the earliest (more likely we find out in either August or September).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Honestly, it's too early to have much (if any) news on this one. As best as I can tell, this film has consistently been released on home video in either October or November (at least, that's been the case for both Blu-ray and DVD). Assuming that trend holds, and given that the studios tend to announce their releases about 2 or 3 months ahead of time, we really won't have any news until about July at the earliest (more likely we find out in either August or September).
Agreed. Great points here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks