What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about…™ The Johnstown Flood - in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Did they make any illuminating comments or observations before or after?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I happen to catch it on TCM tonight. What a fabulous restoration of an almost 100 year old film!
Viewed the first 25 minutes and it looks great and a excellent job on the restoration. Liked the film and the locations and will finish watching the rest of it tomorrow night.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Viewed the first 25 minutes and it looks great and an excellent job on the restoration. Liked the film and the locations and will finish watching the rest of it tomorrow night.
Please purchase the BD of The Johnstown Flood to support future RAH restorations. I have bought two. One for me and the second as a gift, for someone who is now being introduced to silent films.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I will make the purchase and watch the extras on it.
Greatly appreciated.

Every sale is important as we move toward break-even. We do not believe in crowd-funding to cover the costs of releasing a product for which we will have a portion of future passive income. We enter a project at full risk.

The support, both moral and financial that we’ve received here, and elsewhere, allows us to bring more silents to modern audiences. We recently had someone spend a day at the LoC copying over four hundred pages of the original score parts for Beau Geste, which is our current project, as we peruse others we consider important and worthy.

We’re certain that sales from Johnstown will help toward bringing future projects to fruition.

richbarrac1

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Greatly appreciated.

Every sale is important as we move toward break-even. We do not believe in crowd-funding to cover the costs of releasing a product for which we will have a portion of future passive income. We enter a project at full risk.

The support, both moral and financial that we’ve received here, and elsewhere, allows us to bring more silents to modern audiences. We recently had someone spend a day at the LoC copying over four hundred pages of the original score parts for Beau Geste, which is our current project, as we peruse others we consider important and worthy.

We’re certain that sales from Johnstown will help toward bringing future projects to fruition.
Your posts convinced me to buy this release which i might have otherwise passed up. I dont regret my purchase at all! Thanks for the heads up!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Received a personal message re: crowd-funding, and especially Kickstarter, wondering why and if I'm against it/them.

I'm not.

But I do have a problem with people who misuse them to line their pockets with gold, and are blatantly dishonest with the public.

Kickstarter can be very helpful, especially in the silent arena, with passionate collectors desiring to make a certain film available, on a tiny budget. It works for all involved.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
If you ever did decide to use a crowd funder, and a copy of a resulting disc was offered as an incentive to contribute, I would just see it as a way to buy an advance copy of your work as well as helping to support its existence.

(P.S. I hope TCM paid a generous rights fee for last night's broadcast and subsequent availability on TCM.com)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Could someone tell me where was Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard as extras ?

Carole Lombard was one of Gloria's bridesmaids. Don't remember where Gary Cooper appears. Both of them -- and Clark Gable -- were blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearances. I wouldn't have ever noticed Gable if RAH hadn't posted a frame here (he's the customer at the "stage right" end of the bar).

Reactions: PMF

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I couldn't find Gable and Cooper, but I believe Lombard is one ot the friends/bridesmaids of Florence Gilbert. Pretty easy to pick her out.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If you ever did decide to use a crowd funder, and a copy of a resulting disc was offered as an incentive to contribute, I would just see it as a way to buy an advance copy of your work as well as helping to support its existence.

(P.S. I hope TCM paid a generous rights fee for last night's broadcast and subsequent availability on TCM.com)
With respect, I put forth the following:

Wouldn’t the satisfactions of having saved another silent film be incentive, enough, without seeking a complimentary copy of the final disc, as well? To my mind, what with the difficulties already faced in raising monies to save important silent films, I prefer to donate twice. Once in the early stages to ensure that the green light of a project stays on, then twice through the full-price purchasing of a disc; to increase the hopes that no monies are lost. The restoration teams need every financial edge that they can attain; otherwise all forward actions might cease to exist.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

TCM is very helpful and respectful. They very much want to see more films saved.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
With respect, I put forth the following:

Wouldn’t the satisfactions of having saved another silent film be incentive, enough, without seeking a complimentary copy of the final disc, as well? To my mind, what with the difficulties already faced in raising monies to save important silent films, I prefer to donate twice. Once in the early stages to ensure that the green light of a project stays on, then twice through the full-price purchasing of a disc; to increase the hopes that no monies are lost. The restoration teams need every financial edge that they can attain; otherwise all forward actions might cease to exist.
There is nothing preventing you from donating more than the minimum level that includes the reward of a free copy.
Like it or not the rewards are what drive the donations, and if the goal is calculated properly the cost of the rewards is in the tally.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
There is nothing preventing you from donating more than the minimum level that includes the reward of a free copy.
Like it or not the rewards are what drive the donations, and if the goal is calculated properly the cost of the rewards is in the tally.
I see your point. Hey, whatever works out well for both sides is always the goal; just as long as the final tallies are without their folly. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks