What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Mildred Pierce -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mildred Pierce, based upon the James M. Cain novel, just might be the Joan Crawford film to enthrall those who aren't, never were, and are intent upon never being Crawford fans.

She's extraordinary.

And as photographed by the great Ernest Haller, Criterion's new 4k, based upon a WB scan, is magnificent.

Black levels, grain structure, shadow detail all in place.

Music by Max Steiner.

I did notice two things, possibly only with my copy. First the 4k disc was mounted below the Blu-ray in the Scanavo case. You must remove the Blu-ray to get to the 4k. Possibly just a personal preference, but I like the 4k on top, and in cases where discs are mounted left and right, I prefer it to always be on the right.

The other anomaly was that the decorative and informational paper slick mounted inside of the outer clear covering was out of alignment, in this case a few mm outside the bottom of the protective clear covering.

I was initially concerned that the overall dimensions of the art might have been oversized, thereby creating a potential for long term fade or damage, much akin to The Great Gatsby, but it turned out to be mis-inserted.

Archival disaster avoided.

Look for an uncredited Butterfly McQueen, as well as Paul Panzer (playing a waiter.) You'll get to know him after you see The Johnstown Flood. As he appeared in over 300 films, beginning in 1905, the face will probably stick with you, and you'll recognize him in other films such as Dishonored, The Black Cat, Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade, They Made Me a Criminal, Nancy Drew... Reporter, The Roaring Twenties, The Letter, Meet John Doe, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Now, Voyager, Casablanca, Dark Passage, Adventures of Don Juan, Strangers on a Train et al...

Image – 4.75 (HDR)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mildred Pierce, based upon the James M. Cain novel, just might be the Joan Crawford film to enthrall those who aren't, never were, and are intent upon never being Crawford fans.

She's extraordinary.

I am one of those people, but I agree: she's heartbreaking in this one.

Reactions: PMF

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I cannot wait to see this…
Thank you, Mr. Harris…as has happened so many times, I just placed my order knowing how great this will be.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is this the first Criterion 4K that lacked Dolby Vision?

It's just HDR10.

Unless that was my player glitching and it is Dolby Vision, but it didn't show "Dolby Vision" onscreen when I played it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Is this worth an upgrade for those of us who'd already bought Criterion's Blu-ray edition?
1678044857532.png

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Possibly just a personal preference, but I like the 4k on top, and in cases where discs are mounted left and right, I prefer it to always be on the right.
Massive, earthshattering, though admittedly not particularly important in the grand scheme of things, pet peeve of mine. First world problems.

I mean, you're buying the UHD, and the UHD should be where you expect it to be -- on top, and to the right. It's the logical place, and I've ended up putting the Blu-ray in by mistake (or even the DVD in with Blu-ray/DVD combos) and had a moment of wondering what the hell was wrong before figuring out I played the wrong disc.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
.... as well as Paul Panzer (playing a waiter.) You'll get to know him after you see The Johnstown Flood. As he appeared in over 300 films, beginning in 1905, the face will probably stick with you, and you'll recognize him in other films such as Dishonored, The Black Cat, Captain Blood, The Charge of the Light Brigade, They Made Me a Criminal, Nancy Drew... Reporter, The Roaring Twenties, The Letter, Meet John Doe, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Now, Voyager, Casablanca, Dark Passage, Adventures of Don Juan, Strangers on a Train et al...

RAH

Paul Panzer in a classic role. On a battlefield littered with dead men, in tights with a prop goose tied to his neck. What movie would this be?

Paul Panzer Actor.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paul Panzer in a classic role. On a battlefield littered with dead men, in tights with a prop goose tied to his neck. What movie would this be?

View attachment 178226
Was hoping Otto would be a clue, but seeing nothing. Also in Frankenstein.

If you post this over at Nitrateville, someone will be able to identify.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Is this the first Criterion 4K that lacked Dolby Vision?

It's just HDR10.

Unless that was my player glitching and it is Dolby Vision, but it didn't show "Dolby Vision" onscreen when I played it.
Raging Bull, according to their websit,e is HDR with no Dolby Vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks