What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about…™ The Johnstown Flood - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To benefit JAHA -

DWH

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Exciting news. I had no idea this film existed. Is there any chance we will have the ability to see this in the future on home video?

I highly recommend the book The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. The audio book version, read by Edward Hermann, is an excellent listen.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Exciting news. I had no idea this film existed. Is there any chance we will have the ability to see this in the future on home video?

I highly recommend the book The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. The audio book version, read by Edward Hermann, is an excellent listen.
We hope to release on Blu-ray (with extras) late second/early third quarter of this year.

For the record, the film was almost lost. Unique surviving nitrate was preserved by George Eastman Museum. The first five reels of our restoration are derived from a 4k scan of the original tinted nitrate. The final reel is from their protection negative.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Check out Robert's thread here...

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
There is also a superb documentary by Charles Guggenheim from American Experience Season 4. Unfortunately for some reason it has been unavailable for many years. AFAIK the only way to see it is at The Johnstown Flood Museum where it still plays.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is also a superb documentary by Charles Guggenheim from American Experience Season 4. Unfortunately for some reason it has been unavailable for many years. AFAIK the only way to see it is at The Johnstown Flood Museum where it still plays.
I believe the copyright is held by the museum.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I believe the copyright is held by the museum.
On the chance that some museum official happens upon this thread: It is truly an excellent and compelling film. Were it to be released it would contribute enormously to both the knowledge of the event itself, and to interest in the museum. It's a very interesting museum which almost no one knows about - not even in Pittsburgh.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
On the chance that some museum official happens upon this thread: It is truly an excellent and compelling film. Were it to be released it would contribute enormously to both the knowledge of the event itself, and to interest in the museum. It's a very interesting museum which almost no one knows about - not even in Pittsburgh.
I believe everyone knows about the film, and it is generally for sale at the Museum.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I can't wait to buy the Blu-Ray of this restoration. When I visited the Johnstown Museum many years ago, they had a documentary film (maybe the aforementioned Guggenheim one) which featured snippets of the silent film. I remember looking in vain to see if the silent was available anywhere. Once again, Robert Harris comes to the rescue.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can't wait to buy the Blu-Ray of this restoration. When I visited the Johnstown Museum many years ago, they had a documentary film (maybe the aforementioned Guggenheim one) which featured snippets of the silent film. I remember looking in vain to see if the silent was available anywhere. Once again, Robert Harris comes to the rescue.
Along with James Mockoski, and Roundabout.

But to give major credit where due, The George Eastman Museum for protecting and preserving the elements. Without them, the film would be yet another among thousands of lost films.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I'm planning to head to the Library of Congress Packard Campus this Saturday to catch the screening. Any other HTFers attending?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1684380586386.png

2D as well as 3D anaglyph images from before and after flood

Newly recorded score by the Mont Alto Orchestra, based upon the original cues.

Look forward to your comments. An enormous amount of work went into the project.

Ben Model will be performing a score.

A young Clark Gable is in a sequence sitting at the bar.

Think someone is reading our collective minds....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm planning to head to the Library of Congress Packard Campus this Saturday to catch the screening. Any other HTFers attending?
Look forward to your comments. An enormous amount of work went into the project.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Makes me wish I still lived in Mt. Kisco, a stone's throw from the Bedford Playhouse I used to frequent in my youth. Live to catch some of these premieres.

Best of luck to Mr. Harris for getting the support he deserves for this work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks