What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ La La Land (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As we wait for the annus horribilis of 2016 to hopefully end, lovers of the cinema have been hit with the loss of both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

I was planning on writing these few words several days ago, and then the bottom dropped out.

Anyone who truly loves film, will be find their spirits lifted by Damien Chazelle's La La Land, and it's a film that I highly suggest seeing in a large theater with great audio.

If ever there was a love poem to the world of M-G-M and the Freed company, this is it. I would imagine that they are looking down from above, and smiling about Mr. Chazelle's ode to their efforts.

From it's very special screen-widening opening, the fact that it was shot in the early magnetic only CinemaScope aspect ratio of 2.55:1, to the opening number which seems to continuously move without a single cut for over four minutes -- yes, there do seem to be a couple of wonderful digital maneuvers...

Everything about the film is special.

Thus far, my personal Best Picture of 2016.

Don't miss it theatrically.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I made an 85 mile round trip to view this film in the theater closest to me that was playing it. It's a fine film. I don't think I liked it as much as you did, but I think over time there is a chance I might end up liking it moreso than today. I highly recommend this film to anybody that loves musicals. I'm not a big musical fan, but unlike some of my friends, I can sit down and watch such films. I totally agree with its salute to M-G-M musicals of the past. I really liked that sequence.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Today, I made an 85 mile round trip to view this film in the theater closest to me that was playing it. It's a fine film. I don't think I liked it as much as you did, but I think over time there is a chance I might end up liking it moreso than today. I highly recommend this film to anybody that loves musicals. I'm not a big musical fan, but unlike some of my friends, I can sit down and watch such films. I totally agree with its salute to M-G-M musicals of the past. I really liked that sequence.

There's a wonderful interview re the final audition sequence, which if I can locate, will link. For those who have not seen, be forewarned of spoilers.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I liked but did not love it - but for me it's not so much an homage to MGM and Mr. Freed but to Mr. Demy, which the filmmakers have acknowledged vociferously. Everything about it is Demy - its structure is right out of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and the first thing I thought when seeing the opening number was the opening of Young Girls of Rochefort. For me, the disappointment was the music, the songs - in orchestration they're terrific and Legrand-like - in actual melody and harmony, just about every song is the exact same chord progression and I found none of the melodies to have the melodic gift of Legrand or anyone, really - just repetitive. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I liked but did not love it - but for me it's not so much an homage to MGM and Mr. Freed but to Mr. Demy, which the filmmakers have acknowledged vociferously. Everything about it is Demy - its structure is right out of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and the first thing I thought when seeing the opening number was the opening of Young Girls of Rochefort. For me, the disappointment was the music, the songs - in orchestration they're terrific and Legrand-like - in actual melody and harmony, just about every song is the exact same chord progression and I found none of the melodies to have the melodic gift of Legrand or anyone, really - just repetitive. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

But what is Umbrellas except on homage to the M-G-M musicals, except that it's fully in song?

Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree with everything RAH said. Best film of the year so far for me and a modern classic. Loved it!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm in Bruce's camp. I enjoyed it, but I kept thinking all the time of Demy, and the Umbrellas, and the Young Girls, and how much better Legrand's music is. Even the ending of La La strove to emulate that of Umbrellas without earning the level of poignancy of the latter. I can watch Gosling do anything; he always excels. Stone is more of an acquired taste for me, plus her character is quite odious (at which she succeeds quite well). Had I been Gosling I should have dumped her somewhere along the way. La La Land is a few notches above Whiplash, a film which failed to impress me in so many levels.
I can't really call this my favorite film of the year, nor a modern classic, two words that should never be coupled.:)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've already seen it 3 times! I first saw it at an advance screening in early November and twice on a "for your consideration" screener sent me. I'm planning on seeing it a 4th time this weekend in a theater. I guess you can tell it's my favorite film of 2016 (with Moonlight and Nocturnal Animals nipping at its heels). A jewel of a film!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
her character is quite odious (at which she succeeds quite well). Had I been Gosling I should have dumped her somewhere along the way

Haha, I had the opposite reaction. Gosling is excellent but his character is a real pain in the ass.
Which is why the bittersweet ending is poignant but practical. She ended up with the right guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is that "moment," when Mia pulls out a pair of flat shoes that just happen to match those worn by Seb, that we know something is going to occur, and its apt to be interesting...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for the confirmation that this is 2.55:1. Most likely digital cinemas are showing it letterboxed rather than properly masking the screen to the wider ratio, I sssume?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Was it 2:55? Looked like normal 2:35 at my showing.

From IMDB

The film is presented in CinemaScope using the original 1953 20th Century Fox logo, and the aspect ratio is 2.55:1, the same aspect ratio of the first CinemaScope features that only had a 4-track magnetic soundtrack. This later changed to 2.35:1 and 2.39:1 when an optical backup track was added. When projected on a screen in 2.39:1 ratio, this feature has small black bars on the top and bottom.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I had much the same reaction. I may have had too high expectations. Loved the opening and closing sequences... and I applauded when I saw the CINEMASCOPE logo. I may give this another chance, but I was disappointed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
But what is Umbrellas except on homage to the M-G-M musicals, except that it's fully in song?

While I found Young Girls of Rochefort to be more of an homage to MGM (but not really, it really subverts almost everything about an MGM musical), Umbrellas, for me, is a complete original and nothing like an MGM musical. It's still, after all these years, a completely one-off film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks