What's new

Which unannounced "must have" titles are missing from your collection? (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm somewhat optimistic about most of the titles on my list. It seems like the studios have been releasing lots more "classic" titles lately. Most of these are repeats, but I hope if enough people list them, someone will be reading and figure that people want them. Here they are:
The Band Wagon
Bringing Up Baby
The Four Feathers (the "good" '30s version)
Gunga Din
Johnny Guitar
King Kong
Quo Vadis?

These have been announced, sort of, as coming in the future: Bambi
The Tarzan series

And here are some horror movies:
Brides of Dracula
Dracula, AD 1972 (A real guilty pleasure and I've read other people here who like it.)
The Monster Squad
The Uninvited

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Wow - so you're the other person who saw this movie :) I remember seeing it in the theaters when it came out. I don't know if it's ever been on TV since. It seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Anyway, my list would also include:

Bowery Boys (Warners by way of Monogram)
The Black Camel (Bela Lugosi, Warner Oland - rights owned by Warners)
Charlie Chan series (Fox and Warners/Monogram)
Laurel and Hardy shorts in region 1 (Artisan)
The Saint/Falcon movies (Warners/RKO)
The complete Johnny Weismuller Tarzan films (only 6 have been announced Warners/RKO)
Mr. Moto series (Fox)

Steve

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
'BRIDES OF DRACULA"
"CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF"
"MADAME X"-LANA TURNER
"PORTRAIT IN BLACK"
"BACK STREET"-1961
"RAINTREE COUNTY"
"MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION"
"JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG"
"THE ALAMO"-RESTORED TO IT's ORIGINAL LENGTH
"MIDNIGHT LACE"
"RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE"
"MAME"
"A SUMMER PLACE"
"DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS"
"SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO"
"HARLOW"-BOTH VERSIONS
"BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING"
"THE VIPS"
"THE SANDPIPER"
"REFELECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE"
"THE WEDDING BANQUET
"THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS"
"GUNGA DIN"
"LOVE HAS MANY FACES"
"SHALL WE DANE"
"ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER"(1997)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Well, now that Criterion is set to release Onibaba, the only other must-have is Tales of Hoffmann.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
More:

Class Of 1984-can't believe no one has mentioned this prophetic classic about high school violence, featuring Michael J. Fox, Perry King, Timothy Van Patten, as well as the Immortal Roddy McDowell. Release now!

The Legend Of Billie Jean-arguably the greatest "chick" action flick ever made, with Helen Slater, Christian Slater, Dean Stockwell, Peter Coyote, Yeardley "Lisa Simpson" Smith, and Keith Gordon.

Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid-I'll gladly add my voice to the chorus calling for THE best Western cast ever. Coburn. Kristofferson. Robards. Pickens. Elam. Dylan. Among MANY others. Watched my VHS recently and still had tears in my eyes.

Turk 182-best Tim Hutton movie ever, and the most uplifting "man against the system" film you could hope to see. Also features Robert Urich, Kim Cattrell, Peter Boyle, and Robert Culp.

Night Patrol-quite simply, the greatest low budget bad taste comedy ever made, the Citizen Kane of its genre, with The Unknown Comic, Linda Blair, Pat Paulsen, Billy Barty, Pat Morita (as "Rape Victim") and of course Andrew Dice Clay.

El Topo-as spellbinding a work as has ever been made, the rights to this film are being held hostage by a man named Allen Klein. Somebody release this film so that the DVD public can finally view Genius!

Wild At Heart-Add my name to the want list for this twisted masterpiece from the legendary David Lynch. Nicholas Cage at his smooth best as Sailor Ripley, Laura Dern looking somewhat hot as his girl, along with Diane Ladd, Harry Dean Stanton, Crispin Glover, Isabella Rossellini, and of course Willim Dafoe as the unforgettable Bobby Peru.

Lost Highway-again Lynch steals my brain and rocks my world, and it can't seem to get to DVD! Nonetheless, this film, and much of its basic idea, was run into the ground by Lynch in his later Mulholland Drive. Here it was done better, and more coherent.

Eddie Murphy Raw-hands down best filmed stand up comedy performance EVER. Murphy in the Prime of his career doing what he does best, being funny in his own unique style. It pains me not to see this out.

Stone Cold-mentioned earlier, and the best biker movie ever short of a little something with guys named Dennis and Peter. Bosworth's charisma carries the day, while Lance Henriksen gives maybe the best performance of his career as the megalomaniacal biker leader Chains Cooper:

"You know, this reminds me of the last words my daddy ever said to me, which were, 'Don't son, that gun is loaded!"

Skidoo-if anyone can say they've seen this ultimate hippie madness, then they're in an EXTREMELY select club. Jackie Gleason, Mickey Rooney, Peter Lawford, Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Cesar Romero, George Raft, Burgess Meredith, Frank Gorshin, Austin Pendleton, Arnold Stang, Harry Nilsson, and the great Groucho Marx tread down a path laced with LSD and songs, including the "Garbage Can Ballet".

Bad Dreams-VERY underrated 80s horror classic about a Jim Jones-like cult leader played by Richard Lynch who seems to have the ability to come back from the dead also features Jennifer Rubin, Bruce Abbott, Dean Cameron, EG Dailey, and the great Harris Yulin.

Phantasm 2 and 3-Why Universal, who I believe owns the rights to these films, has not released them is a matter of great frustration to fans, not just for continuity, but especially for Reggie's HEMI. :D

World Gone Wild-why nobody remembers this 80's cable favorite, with its Magnificent Seven meets Road Warrior concept and ultra-cool cast including Bruce Dern, Adam Ant, Michael Pare, Catherine Mary Stewart, Anthony James, and Julius "Shonuff" Carrey, is way beyond me.

Performance-count me in for this brilliant study of identity replacement, featuring the most notable acting role of Mick Jagger in his five-film career. A Cult Favorite decades ago, it can live again.

Lisztomania-Ken Russell ODs on the acid in this demented portrayal of the relationship between composers Franz Liszt and Richard Wagner, featuring Roger Daltrey, Paul Nicolas, Rick Wakeman, and Ringo Starr as The Pope.

Flash Gordon-please remaster and rerelease immediately.

Out Of The Dark-outstanding low budget slasher flick with a fun cast.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Magnificent Obsession
Madame X (Lana Turner 60's film)
Backsteet (1961)
Valley of the Dolls
Love Me or Leave Me
Bringing Up Baby
Two for the Road

New transfers of earlier releases (current release is widescreen but not anamorphic and needed in most cases, or the current release is just a poor transfer, needs restoration, or could benefit from a "Lowry" treatment):

Double Idemnity
South Pacific
Oklahoma
King and I
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY's (really, this one deserves SO much better than the current release, transfer especially but also a title Paramount could justify in giving a deluxe 2 disc SE treatment)
Summertime
The Apartment
Midnight Cowboy
The Graduate
Cabaret

At least I can finally remove two that have been on my list, an anamorphic Pillow Talk coming in April, also Lover Come Back!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The other region El Topo and Lost Highway DVDs are lackluster, which is why I, for one, listed them. Same goes for Wild at Heart.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
The Nude Bomb

That makes three of us. My brother and I were big Pamela Hensley fans and we saw this at the drive-in. unfortunately the bomb never exploded on her. :wink:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for another vote for Superfuzz! I loved the giant floating bubblegum bubble. :D

And I'll also second Trapped in Paradise

and add Bye Bye Love which is where I first fell in love with Eliza Dushku. :)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my want list:

Greed (1924)
*The Jazz Singer (1927)
(*hinted at, but not confirmed)
The Crowd (1928)
Hallelujah! (1929)
I Am A Fugitive... (1932)
It's A Gift (1933)
Fury (1936)
Martin-Lewis Films From Paramount
East Of Eden (1955)
Love Me Or Leave Me (1955)
The Girl Can't Help It (1956)
A Face In The Crowd (1957)
Damn Yankees (1958)
Elvis Presley Back Catalog From MGM/UA
Jumbo (1962)
Having A Wild Weekend (1965)
The Big Mouth (1967)
Wild In The Streets (1968)
House Of Dark Shadows (1970)
Night Of Dark Shadows (1971)
That's Entertainment (1974)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Well, I think the consensus if obvious.

Judging from the responses here, I'd say SUPERFUZZ is the movie absolutely everybody is anxiously waiting for, even if they haven't seen it or don't know they're waiting for it. ;) It's a tough film not to like. And that wicked theme song! What I wouldn't do for a copy of that funky number.

So come on, Bill Lustig and Blue Underground, you've done enough Spaghetti Westerns and Mondo Whatevers and Stagey Giallo Gore Flicks to keep those fans satiated for a few months. Lighten up and give us what we really need. Give us the 'FUZZ.

If only the late, lamented Sergio could know how happy he made my misspent youth!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Superfuzz! Why does that name cause a flashback of the Dom DeLuise/Jerry Reed comedy, Hot Stuff? Must be a suppressed memory of a day of HBO in the early 80's...they should release Superfuzz, Hot Stuff, that Tony Danza Oragutang movie, and a DVD of HBO's old "BrainGames" series. They can package it in a set under the title: "IF YOU CAN REMEMBER THIS - YOU'RE THIRTY".

Titles I Want to See on DVD:

WALT DISNEY'S TRUE LIFE ADVENTURES -- Where are these, Mouse House? Get off your tail and get these out.

WALT DISNEY'S PEOPLE AND PLACES -- Oscar-winning series of documentaries celebrating world cultures. Totally forgotten today -- get 'em out of the vaults, Disney!

Third Man on the Mountain
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
Three Lives of Thomasina
The Light in the Forest
Ten Who Dared
Greyfriar's Bobby
In Search of the Castaways
A Tiger Walks
Emil and the Detectives
The Fighting Prince of Donegal
The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin

No Deposit, No Return

Hot Lead and Cold Feet

Running Brave

The Black Cauldron: Uncut, Anamorphic

The Journey of Natty Gann: WideScreen

Ruthless People: SE

Tough Guys: SE

Stakeout: SE

Can't Buy Me Love: SE

Good Morning, Vietnam: SE

Shoot to Kill: SE

Heartbreak Hotel: SE

New York Stories: SE

Turner and Hooch: SE

What About Bob?: SE

The Doctor: SE

True Identity: SE

Billy Bathgate: SE

One Good Cop: SE

Noises Off: SE

Crossing the Bridge: SE

Captain Ron: SE

What's Love Got to Do With It: SE

Swing Kids: SE

The Joy Luck Club: SE

Iron Will: SE

Cabin Boy: Super Duper Extra Amazing Mega Special Edition

The Ref: SE

When a Man Loves a Woman: SE

Color of Night: The "We Know It Sucks, Listen to Us Exucse it" Edition

Jefferson in Paris: SE

Miami Rhapsody: SE

A Pyromaniac's Love Story: SE

Kazaam: 7 foot Edition

White Squall: Ass-Kicking 5.1 Edition

Grosse Pointe Blank: SE

G.I. Jane: The "Shut Up, I Liked It" Edition

A Civil Action: SE

Straight Story: SE

The 13th Warrior: SE

The Insider: SE

Mumford: SE

And of course --

Saludos Amigos: Uncut and Remastered

The Three Caballeros: SE w/Laserdisc Box Set supplements

Make Mine Music: Uncut and Remastered

Melody Time: Uncut and Remastered

The Story of Robin Hood

The Sword and the Rose

Amerika (old ABC mini-series about a communist take over of the U.S.A.)

Max Headroom: The Complete Television Series

The Day After: SE

The Tomorrow People

The 30-Year-Old Female Cast of the Original "You Can't Do That On Television" Goes Jello-Wrestling

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
If one movie was left off my original list in this thread (which included Super Fuzz), it would have to be Hot Stuff. Still have this on VHS. Great little comedy that would probably hold up to a remake. i believe it was written by Donald Westlake. Perhaps the connection might be that Marc Laurence plays similar characters in both of them. Love the scene where they accidentally blow up Jerry Reed's blue Firebird. And, like Super Fuzz, it had a catchy theme song.

EDIT: Alanis Morrisette jello wrestling? Not too sure I'd wanna see than on television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks