What's new

Which type of enclosure for HT? (1 Viewer)

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
Do most people prefer a sub in a ported enclosure for HT use, whether homemade or puchased?

Is there any advantage of having a sealed enclosure for HT use?

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I believe as a general rule ported subs have greater output and are more efficient than sealed subs. Sealed subs tend to produce tighter and more controlled bass ouput. I have heard that sealed enclosures are a bit easier to make due to the difficulty in properly tuning the ports on vented enclosures.

george king

Supporting Actor
I just finished building a sealed sub. Essentially it is a box with two holes, one for the driver, and the other for the amp. Real easy to do. The driver (12" titanic mkII) and amp (250 W plate amp) are both available from www.partsexpress.com So for about $250 in parts (i bought on their daily specials) and a couple of weekends, I got a killer sub.

sealed produces tighter more controlled bass, and you will lose some extension. However, mine is corner loaded and will go to about 25 Hz. Most people prefer sealed subs when listening to music, for the control.

Ported subs will play lower but you lose some of the tightness, and control. People tend to prefer ported or ebs designs for HT for the deeper slam.

Hope this helps.

if you use good drivers and tune low enough, it will not be any less punchy than sealed. it isnt hard to do. go download winISD and look at your response graphs and then build your box. dont forget to factor in driver and port displacement. winISD will tell you what size port you need.

since most HT subs are in large enclosures, you probably wont need more than a foot of 4 inch round port (use pvc)unlike in cars, your house probably wont provide much gain due to shape and airspace. although corner loading can help, getting a sealed sub to reference levels is not easy.

also, maybe look into adire audios larger subwoofers. the extra displacement will help.

one last thought, take in to account how low your mids will play. you may or may not need the higher end extension a smaller sealed box can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks