What's new

Which to get Studio 40's or 100's? (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have been toying with the idea lately of replacing my current tower speakers and getting the paradigms but I cant make up my mind on which ones to get. If I do the upgrade then for sure I will get an SVS sub or pair of them.

I listen to about 80% HT and 20% music. So do you guys think it would be worth it for me to spend the extra money on a pair of the studio 100's or just get studio 40's considering that I will have an SVS to pick up the lower end?(maybe the Ultra SVS)? Cost is a factor and diminishing returns does come into the mix but if the 100's will be better then I would like to go that route.

Then finally for surrounds I am trying to decide between the Studio ADP surround, studio 20's or another set of 40's for surrounds? I dont see myself listening to a lot of 7 channel music, just used for movies.

KyleS

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Kyle,

You could move into a 7 channel configuration using the ADP's on the side, and the studio 20's in the rear. Check out my theater pics. As far as the 100's, what will you powering your mains with??

Eujin

Supporting Actor
KyleS,

IMHO, the Studio 40s are the best speaker in the Paradigm line (Studio 100 owners, flame me gently). I've spent a lot of time with these speakers and they have the best balance of detail and low end punch--especially if you're pairing them with an SVS or two. The Studio 100s are superb full-range speakers--definitely reference quality stuff--but they do demand a lot of power to get the most out of them. I'm sure you could drive them adequately with a receiver, but to really hear them open up and sing, a separate high-power amp is the way to go. If you were listening to more music, I'd probably say that the 100s might be just the ticket, especially if you already have separates or are planning to go there someday.

As it is, with 80% HT, the Studio 40s are excellent for the money (especially if you make that trip north of the border) and offer superb music performance as well. I've driven Studio 40s with my HK AVR 320 with no problems at all and been very happy. As for the surrounds, since you don't listen to a lot of multi-channel music, I'd go with the Studio ADP. Good luck and happy shopping!

HarryR

Agent
What do you think about the idea of taking the money that would have been spent on stands for the 40's and get the studio 60's.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
What do you think about the idea of taking the money that would have been spent on stands for the 40's and get the studio 60's.

HarryR,

That's a very good question. I think the bottom line is what type of sound you like--I'm talking about this from a music perspective, but I'll get to HT in a bit. The 40s have a bit more detail and sound a bit tighter than the 60s. As floorstanders, the 60s give you a bit more bottom end, but I think at the expense of midrange detail. For the casual listener, the differences may not be much of a factor. In a HT application, the 60s would likely sound pretty identical to the 40s, but since KyleS mentioned that he would like to add a sub to the system, it would seem that the extra bottom end provided by the 60s would not be that much of an advantage. As for cost, a good Paradigm dealer will throw in the stands as part of the deal--the Premiere stands that 40s are often displayed on are a Paradigm-owned brand, so the 40s should still cost less than the 60s.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Guess that I need to add a little more info to help you guys and myself out ;)
If I went with the Studio 100's then they would be driven, right now, with an Integra DTR-7 110w/channel but I would in the future (6 months to 1 year) upgrade the receiver to a pre pro with a dedicated 200w+ per channel amp. Problem is I wouldnt be able to buy the 100's and the amp at the same time.
If I went with the 40's then I would have extra money left over for other equipment like an Ultra SVS instead of the standard CS line. Does anyone know the price on the stands that are shown with the 40's on Paradigms website and where they can be had? Right now I have Lovan stands for my rear speakers but I really like the look of those stands.
For sure I would be taking the drive up North. I will go see my brother in Seattle and then drive just a little farther North to get these speakers cheaper. What have people been paying in Vancouver BC for these speakers (Avg) Studio 100's, 40,s & ADP's, CC? I will be wanting to get these speakers in wood not laminate (except for the CC or ADP's since those dont come in Wood) so take that into consideration when giving pricing.
KyleS

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have a pair of both the 40's and 20's. I am totally a bookshelf kind of guy. Paired with a musical sub, I would take that combo over floorstanders any day of the week.

The argument is made that bookshelves with quality audiophile stands cost as much if not more than floorstanders. This is true.

However, considering how often most of us upgrade..the stands will last you forever. And on the upgrade path, all you would ever have to do is upgrade your bookshelves. Most people will keep a sub in their system much longer than the main speakers, so your upgrade path ends up costing much less money to get a much higher quality setup than you previously had.

In the beginning, the cost difference is negligible..but in the end it becomes significantly cheaper to go with bookshelfs and a sub than with floorstanders...not to mention the versitility bookshelf speakers provide vs. floorstanders. I don't see the use of getting a speaker that hits down to 30htz, when most people get a sub for this very purpose.

Flame away.

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
The 40's & 60's have a midrange problem, the mid range woofer is not isolated from the bass woofer and this effects the sound, even if it's not active, it still muddys up the mids. The 100's mid range is crystal, the 20's have better mids also. Now you may not hear this and you may like that extra mid push, esp for HT. The 100's will play louder than the 40's. The 100's go low, but you may still need to use a sub with them. I'd go with 20's all around with SVS subs for HT or use the ADP for surrounds with the 20's.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
The 40's & 60's have a midrange problem, the mid range woofer is not isolated from the bass woofer and this effects the sound, even if it's not active, it still muddys up the mids
Duke, you are the first person I have ever seen quoting that the 40's mids are inferior to the 100's. In fact, I have seen tons of posts on this board and others that say the exact opposite...that the 40's have the best mids in the line. Your opinion obviously differs, but I can say that from reading posts from tons of Paradigm owners who have heard both speakers, the 40's bettering the 100's in midrange representation is almost a consensus.

Again, flame away.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I own the studio 100s as well as a svs + 2039 sub powered by a parasound 2205 the base on the 100s are awsome much better for music Imo than the svs, I use the svs for movies. I love my 100s as I auditioned many speakers before my purchace including 20s,40s, and 60s all nice speakers but like everything else out there you have upgrade options and you have to spend more $. I guess a good analogy might be if you buy a new corvette do you get the entry level package or do you get the sport suspension, leather seats...ect you know what I mean Paradigm studio line are fantastic speakers for the money they make my system sound incredible and whatever model you choose you cant loose:D I guess it boils down to what you can afford to spend:confused:
good luck on your decision Bob

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Kyle,

The stands that are shown with Studio 40s are Premiere--they are a Paradigm-owned brand and you will find them at Paradigm dealers. As I mentioned in my post, good dealers will usually throw in the stands if you haggle a bit. Part of the reason is that the stands have to be a bit lower in height than the usual stands used for monitors--a direct result of the 40s unusual size. For your application, which calls for more HT use than music, I would strongly consider going with 20s and the SVS combo--I just can't see spending the extra bucks on big floorstanders like the 100s when you're going to need the extra punch from a dedicated sub for the LFE channel. Since you're buying your speakers in Canada, you can easily recoup the cost(and maybe even a little more) of the 20s by reselling them in the U.S, if you decide that you need to move up the line to 40s, 60s or 100s. I'd strongly suggest taking some DVDs that you consider reference quality with you on your trip and demoing the speakers as much as you can. Also, don't forget that the center channel is very important for HT, so I'd leave room in that budget for the Studio CC.

Jedd

Second Unit
I second Eujin here, if you more into HT - spend money on a good sub. SVS is the way to go (unless you choose the DIY path :emoji_thumbsup: )
IMHO 40s have the best mids in the line, so you can't get wrong with them. ;)
P.S. and yes, 100s are 240 freaking pounds.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well anyone out there have an idea where I could get average pricing on the Studio line in Canadian Dollars? Looking to make the drive up to Vancouver BC to pick these up so local pricing there would be best but anywhere in Canada would be great.

Studio 100's, 40's, CC, & ADP's

For the 100's, & 40's I would like to get the veneer not just the black Laminate which I believe adds 1-2 hundred to the price in American but what about up north?

What kind of experience am I looking forward to when buying in Canada? Do I have to pay GST&PST and then can I get those refunded to me and if so how? Thanks for all your help guys.

KyleS

JasonMo

Auditioning
One of the dealers I talked to here in Austin suggested getting the 40's over the 100's because he thought that they focused the sound better for HT. For instance, with the 40's, there was a greater effect of bullets going from the left side of me to the right side of me in Saving Private Ryan. I didn't notice this till the guy pointed it out, so it might just be the power of suggestion...anyone else notice this???

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
I've auditioned the 100's but ended up buying the following:

40's up front

CC - center

20's as surround

ACI Titan II LE sub - (great sub)

However I want to add 2 more speakers to fill out my 7 channel amp and am also undecided as to whether to get ADP's or another pair of 20's. Unfortunately I was just in Canada and got some awesome prices on each but could not make up my mind.

Ed

KyleS

Screenwriter
Common you guys are killing me.... ;)
Edward especially you. You tell me you got killer pricing on them but you didnt tell me what that was. If you dont want to post that price that is fine but at least send me an email :p)
KyleS

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
After lots of auditioning, I ended up getting the 40s (over the 100s) as well. I'd get ADPs for the side surrounds and 20s for the rear channels. You pay full taxes when you purchase the speakers and get it refunded at the border (one immediately, one you have to mail).

If you get the Premiere stands, be sure to fill them with play sand (additional mass helps).

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Kyle:
A few points:
First - I went with the 60's over the 40's only because my wife did not want monitor's with the kid's in the Family Room. The 40's had better detail, but the 60's were still great.
Second - I did not go with the 100's because you need a decent sized room and plenty of power to get the best out of the 100's. The 100's sound great, but I would opt for the 40's, CC, and ADP's.
Third, I was able to get 20% off of retail in the US for my Paradigm's.
I believe the retail price in Canada is the same as in the US for the Paradigm speakers. Therefore, you get about 33% off the top (versus US retail) without even having to deal with the store.
Do a search in the HTF on Paradigm AND Canada AND cost or Paradigm AND Canada AND price and see what you can come up with. Here is a good link I found with a search...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36992
Mike

Jedd

Second Unit
the rule of thumb: 25% off Canadian MSRP
don't show them them you are from US, or they start to talk about currency exchange and your savings and good deal is over.
you get GST back on the border in the duty-free shop
PST depends on the province, Ontario has it in mail-in rebate, Quebec doesn't, have no idea about BC
another thing - they don't like credit cards in audio shops and usually trying to get another 2% from you :angry:, so be prepared to have cash or enough funds on debit card.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot has to do with the dealer. If you get a dealer who is cool and up front, it doesn't matter if you are from the states or willing to pay with credit...as long as you are willing to buy in person..they won't ship no way no how.

However, I have a great relationship with my Canadian dealer and got great prices and was able to put it all on my credit card to the delight of Visa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks