What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Which to get Studio 40's or 100's? (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Is there anywhere online that shows the MSRP's of these speakers in Canadian dollars? I know that when you go to the regular Paradigm site and the paradigm.ca site they show the packages with MSRP. Only problem is that you dont know how much the subs cost (MSRP) which I dont need and the Canadian site shows the MSRP's in American dollars.

KyleS

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I just ordered a Studio CC and Studio 60's, shipped to my door (in MA) for a pretty good price. Unopened box, fresh from a Canadian dealer.

CC shipped to me --$379

60's shipped $895.

Not a bad deal at all.

The local dealers wanted way more than this. One wanted $450, plus shipping, and $1050, plus shipping, for the 60's.

Another dealer wanted $500 and $1200 respectively.

I was lucky to hook up with an upstate NY friend who was willing to make a road trip for me across the border. A good deal indeed.

BOK

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Floorstanders that use passive crossovers need large values for caps and inductors in the signal path. Air core inductors are best, but many times tower speakers use iron core inductors, to the detriment of the sound. And the large values for the bass crossover is really lossy in regard to power, one of the reasons that tower speakers need a monster amp to really push through those big crossover parts and grip the woofers. Subs are generally more efficient, have greater output, and cheaper (in the end).

Of course, what do I know? I'm buying tower speakers for my next upgrade :)

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
Factoring in all taxes, rebates, exchange rate, etc I got this pricing in Quebec City at Stereo Plus.

Studio 20's - $450/pr USD

ADP's - $550/pr USD

I wasn't sure which to get for side surrounds so I waited. I could get the studio 20's here in the tax free state of Delaware for $550/pr. Not sure about the ADP's But i'm now thinking of going with Dolbys recommendation of 4 identical monopole surrounds.

Ed

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
This has become a helpful thread for me. After a lot of listening to speakers over the last coupple of months, I had pretty much decide on Revel Performas. Due to the sudden drop in HT budget (found out 2nd munchkin is on the way), the Revels are out. Paradigm is now the front runner for speaker choice and I'm wrestling with the ref 40/60 pick. (from a previous thread, my mains must be shielded so 100's are out).

Question to 40 owner's: Do you feel the 40's will fill a room roughly 14' wide and listening position about 17 feet from the mains? Room is rectangular but left wall is a half height wall that opens into rest of house. Surrounds will end up being 20's for rear and probably ADP's for side. System will always be run with a sub and is used 90% for HT.

I seem to be leaning towards the 40'2 over 60's due to opinions (positive) about the 40's excellent midrange.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MM

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, depending on the amplification I think the 40's will fill that room just fine. My room is roughly the same size, although my listening position is much closer than you will be sitting...somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 feet or so. The left side of my room opens up to the rest of the house as well and I have no problems filling the room with sound. If your amplifier puts out a little bit extra in juice (say over 100WPC) that you can allow the speakers to work their magic before the amp starts to clip, you will have no problems.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
What have people been paying in Vancouver BC for these speakers (Avg) Studio 100's, 40,s & ADP's, CC?
Hi there!

Well, no idea about Vancouver, but I bought a pair of Studio 40s in the rosenut veneer for $1079 Canadian. The retail price was $1499 so to me it seems like I got a good deal.

You should definetly listen to the Studio60s as well. What I like about the 40's + stand is that they sit a little higher then the 60 floor standers.

And you're right, you gotta get the veneer.

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spirittoo
Recent bookmarks