What's new

Which SuperBits to get??? (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I have 5th element SuperBit but was wondering which other's are worth having? I have a 106" screen and thus like the best possible video I can get out of a DVD until HD-DVD's come to be.

Also, if anyone knows of good deals on them... ;)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
All of the Superbits are improved over the original DVD releases (some more than others). Are you asking for movie suggestions or best image quality? The best image so far (IMO) is the WMP9 High-Def Terminator 2. However, you will need a beefy HTPC to run the picture.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Yea, I have the WMP9 HD of T2 but not the beefy PC! ;)

I am waiting for the new line of vid cards that support WMP9 were you do not need a 3GHz processor... if they do not come out then I will upgrade.

I would like to know which ones are more improved over the original's, I have Mask of Zorro and like the flick, is the Superbits greatly improved and worth it?

ChrisA

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to Leon the Professional....

I'd get any DVD that is superbit that you really like the movie, although I have to admit, I'm starting to get sick of UPGRADING every movie 3 and 4 times...

HD-DVD please come soon.... OH! Then there will be Suberbit HD-DVD ...

The stupidest thing about SUPERBIT is the inclusion of both a highrate DD track and a half-rate DTS track... Should just have a full-rate DTS track and minimal DD. Waste of bandwidth maxing out two tracks when you could have one better audio track...

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Bram Stoker's Dracula has good A/V on it, plus it's a good movie.

DVDfile recently reviewed Starship Troopers and they said that it is the most improved Superbit disc, and the first 2 discs had wonderful picture quality.

Adaptation is a great disc, of course since there's only the Suberbit out there's not much of an alternative.

The upcoming Lawrence of Arabia is supposed to be really good.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
DVDfile recently reviewed Starship Troopers and they said that it is the most improved Superbit disc, and the first 2 discs had wonderful picture quality.
My beef with the DVDFile review is that they compared to the original 1998 release, not the 2002 SE. I got the original, dumped it and got the SE, but this new review of the Superbit didn't convince me. I thought the SE was a huge improvement over the first release in every aspect. The commentaries are well worth it, the 5.0 isolated score is wonderful, and most of the extras on the second disk are pretty informative. I'm going to wait for a little more info on this one (HTF reviewers? Digital Bits?) before I double-dip again.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
If you can do multi-region discs the Jurassic Park Superbit (R2 Japan) PQ is significantly improved over the old R1 release.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I went ahead and sold off my Special Edition Starship Troopers to make way for the Superbit!

Adding the DTS track alone was enough for me to be sold.

I don't give a hoot about extras so bye bye Special Edition hello Superbit!!!

ChrisA

Second Unit
Damn I hope Blu Ray pre-recorded releases come out sooner than later... You can always change algorithms, but you don't get as many opprtunites to increase bandwidth by 350% GO BLU RAY!!!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have 8 of the SB titles currently. For picture quality, the best ones I have are...

- Starship Troopers
- Vertical Limit
- The Fifth Element

although I have not watched The Quick And The Dead yet.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I think movie-wise, you should pick up Gattaca. A lovely movie!
The colours used in the movie are really nice (many shades of orange and blue) which would look great on your theater.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Desperado showed great improvement - though apparently it has as much to do (or more) with the new transfer used than the SB process. Either way, if you like this movie, the SB is the way to go!

Gattaca is one of my favorite recent movies, and I have both versions. The SB is a bit better in picture, but still has some of the noise problems the original DVD has (something about the blue background white opening credits that I heard MPEG2 doesn't handle well). So while that improvement may not be as night-and-day as Desperado, Gattaca I think is a superior movie and should be owned regardless. IMO :)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Not a Superbit title but I tell you "The Transporter" has one hell of a nice transerfer. I could not beleive how good it looked on my 106" screen.

I think I will pick up "Gattaca" and "Desperado" since I do not have either on DVD yet.

Very good feedback.. Thanks!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Starship Troopers Superbit, be still my heart. This is definetly on the list for replacing. I can imagine how this would look and sound.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
So, you guys that have Starship Troopers really think the SB is worth it if you've got the SE? Keep in mind, I'm going to hold onto the SE for the extras, but if the A/V quality is really that much more improved, I could free up the extra cash :) .

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've A/Bed Superbits for Air Force One, Bram Stoker's Dracula, From Here to Eternity and Heavy Metal. On the whole, only AF1 had a significant video improvement. From Here to Eternity was a copy of the same crappy print and is not worth wasting your money on. The DTS upmix to 5.1 is not well done, though it does pack a decent punch during the Pearl Harbor attack. There was some minor improvement in color definition on Heavy Metal but to my mind it didn't outweigh losing the many extras on the regular disc. I found no improvement at all on BSD, but the original didn't have any extras anyway so you may as well go for it as long as you're not double-dipping.

Other than the upcoming color-corrected Lawrence of Arabia I'd have a hard time recommending the Superbit series to anyone.

ChrisA

Second Unit
What I don;t get is why have a max rate DD and a half rate DTS.... Anyone who buys a superbit DVD would rather have one full rate DTS track... what a shame they couldn;t figure that one out...

Ahhh who cares, I just want HD-DVD at this point anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks